2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Smallwood's 150+ books

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments The past two months I have swung back into reading--perk of Netflix never updating their streaming library. I'm a voracious reader who frequently runs out of new material, so I'm completely dependent on a long hold queues with my local library (the smallest library ever; I have to transfer in everything). I am always in dire need of suggestions, so please suggest away! My comfort zone is with young adult fiction (I'm 27 now and in denial), but love mixing humor, historical non-fiction, fiction, etc. into the mix. Burnt out on vampires and poetry.

Hoping to keep track by month. Thanks!

message 2: by NayNay (last edited Dec 29, 2012 06:18AM) (new)

NayNay A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson The Girl Who Swam to Atlantis by Elle Thornton

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY READING!!!

message 3: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments SO PUMPED. I have a ton of books in transit at the library. I'm having to hold back picking up before the 1st! :)

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Hey, you're never too old to love YA fiction!! haha. ;)

message 5: by Smallwood (last edited Jan 01, 2013 07:19PM) (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 1. Something Strange and Deadly ***
--Admittedly I judge a book by its cover. I had seen this one at the library, but neglected to pick it up because of the young blonde hot thang on the cover. The book itself was a cross between Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book, an American Girl novel, and Devil in the White City. I can't say I loved it, but I did enjoy it. I had a hard time committing to the plot, but that may have just been my mood.

I do not own an e-reader, but have considered purchasing one. How does this e-book/Goodreads thing work? I can't seem to find an FAQ.

message 6: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments NayNay wrote: "A Northern Light by Jennifer DonnellyBetween Shades of Gray by Ruta SepetysThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonThe Girl Who Swam to Atlantis by Elle Thornton

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY READI..."

Thanks for the recommendations! I have requested all I could. :)

message 7: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 2. The Trees
--What I thought would be a quick read, ended up taking three days. I wish I had read this one in college. It has sparked new interest in historical non-fiction.

3. The Raven Boys
--Great start. I love that the main character is not an orphan and is instead surrounded by positive female role models. The boys story lines are poorly developed and the plot quite fantastical so I did not enjoy this as much as I was hoping for.

4. Shadow and Bone
--I was 100 pages in when I flipped to the cover and realized this was Russian. Not Russian YA, but the inspiration. Looking forward to the story's continuation.

5. Anna and the French Kiss
--Funny. It felt like it was written by a sixteen year old instead of for sixteen year olds. New interest in studying abroad.

6. Starters
--Need to find the sequel! Great plot and consistent development.

message 8: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 7. Graveminder
--If anyone asks, I didn't read this. Great start, but the characters took the whole damn book to fix their relationship and the dragging of her toes was painful. Worse was the supporting cast that was dry and frequently felt out of place.

message 9: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 8. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
--Found this one on a Goodreads recommendation list. My dad is a doctor, and when I told him I was reading about HeLa cells, he said "Oh, you must be reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks." Definitely recommend.

Side note--Saw Kinsey & Me at Costco today. Swooned in front of a throng of people who thought I was nuts scanning the barcode to my Goodreads To-Read shelf. If I ever meet Sue Grafton in person, I will blubber like an idiot and twitch like the typewriter keys on Kinsey's Smith-Corona.

message 10: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 9. Perfect Chemistry
--I've never read a book that involved a teenager in a gang before. Don't know that I'd dabble again.

message 11: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 10. The Paris Wife
--Meh. Why do people like this? I found it really pretentious. Maybe it's because I've never been a Hemingway fan.

11. Language of the Threads
--Much happier reading this. Threw me back to the days of reading Pearl S. Buck at night in my closet growing up. Very much enjoyed this story.

message 12: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 12. Artemisia. Loved Girl with the Pearl Earring in high school--this was better.

message 13: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 13. Healer's Apprentice.
Recommended by NayNay. Really liked the setting, but found the twist a little predictable. A fun read. :)

message 14: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) Well done. Keep going! :-)

message 15: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 14. Insurgent.
Continuing the series. I liked the first one better, but am happily hanging on for the next installment.

message 16: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 15. Dawn
Octavia Butler has always been one of my favorite authors. The aliens with tentacles were further out for me than others I've read, but she made them seem very compelling and I had no problem playing along. She always had this sexual vibe in her books, but without the blatant sex. She's a master of suggestion. I look forward to reading more of her novels.

message 17: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 16. Angelfall
I had so much trouble bonding with the main character. I think I just got hung up on her name.

Onto Gone Girl!

message 18: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments Let me know how you thought Gone Girl was. It is on my list for this year. I havent heard anything bad about it though!

message 19: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 17. Gone Girl
This one really surprised me. About 60 pages in I was banging my head against the wall and about to put it down. "Oh, another he/she diary story." And then the plot twist comes...I couldn't put it down! This book has more twists than a Twizzler and it was not confusing at all. Really enjoyed it, and had trouble sleeping afterwards because I was still thinking about it.

message 20: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments Thanks! Ill plug away at the 60 pages so I can get to the good stuff when I get to the book! :)

message 21: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 18. The Fault in Our Stars
I've cried for two days now since finishing this. Very moving. I'm a huge fan of literary wit and this was well-executed though not overbearingly so.

19. A Murder for Her Majesty
A fun pick me up novel that took me an hour and a half to read. Believable enough plot I kept going.

message 22: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 20. Between Shades of Gray
I have a bachelors, was privately educated and NEVER had a history class that got past the 1920s. Everything I've learned about WWI and WWII was from books, or word of mouth. I never considered (or knew) the other countries invaded by the Soviets and Germans during this time, especially not Lithuania. I appreciate the new perspective. My husband thought I was finally reading EL James--hahahaha.

21. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
For some reason, I missed this Newberry winner growing up and really wish I read it when I was in high school. I had little appreciation for mathematics, and this would have given me a boost of interest. Really enjoyed it.

message 23: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 22. Obsidian
This felt like Twilight (not a good thing) but with aliens instead of vampires. Was interesting the first 20 pages and not so much after for me.

23. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
What a fantastic book! Some twists were obvious, but I enjoyed walking along with Harold and his wife along his journey. Great read.

message 24: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 24. Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Depressing, but addicting. I was too young to be aware of what happened during the AIDS crises, so this was surprising. Kept feeling the author was male, which was different.

25. Let's Pretend this Never Happened
Did not like this one. Funny at times, but the stream of consciousness really slowed me down and was confusing. I felt I was having dinner with a date that would not shut up.

26. Sister Carrie
Loved this one.

27. A Proper Pursuit
Very well-written and I liked it just as much as Sister Carrie, though they were different in content.

28. The Alienist
Excellent crime novel. I ended up buying this one at the bookstore.

29. Where We Belong
Emily Griffin is a really engaging writer. This isn't usually my cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.

message 25: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 30. Scarlet
Followup to Cinder and I wasn't as into it as the previous novel. I'll reread it soon and determine if it was just my busy life affecting it, but I felt thrown back and forth between Asia and France so much it was hard to keep track of.

Also, knee deep in a Niffeneger novel I spontaneously picked up.

message 26: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 31. Her Fearful Symmetry. Kind of disjointed, but enjoyable.

32. The Lion.

33. The Panther

message 27: by Smallwood (new)

Smallwood | 23 comments 34. The Master and Margarita - Mikhall Bulgakov
35. The emperor of all maladies - Siddhartha Mukherjee
36. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows
37. Nine Coaches Waiting - Mary Stewart
38. Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline
39. The Last Camellia
40. The Sagas of Icelanders (just a few) - Jane Smiley
41. The Translator - Nina Schuyler
42. Calling me home - Julie Kibler
43. Blindness - Jose Saramago
44. Not a box - Antoinette Portis