Violin Violin discussion

Couldn't make it through the book

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rey (new)

Rey Dekker ...was recommended to me by a librarian...tried to read it...just got bogged down...first try with Ms. Rice and probably the last...vampires, ghosts, meh...not so much...and this from someone who managed to plod through Fifty Shades of Grey...so to not make it to page 30 on this one...puke-0-meter high...the reviews sort of bore me out too...lots of one stars...

message 2: by Cheramie (last edited Dec 28, 2012 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cheramie I've enjoyed many of her other books but I agree, awful book!

Mary Anne Rice is hit or miss. I read Interview With a Vampire just after reading Stephen King's "It." Despite my husband's claims that the books got better, I did not pick up another Rice for about 7-8 years. Interview just did not do it for me. Then he begged me to read "The Mummy." It was great and then I went on to read all of the Vampire Chronicles that were out and then all of the Witch books. Violin was not good and neither was Feast of All Saints. Try "The Mummy."

Misty I am an avid Anne Rice fan, but I'll be the first to tell someone, Violin is NOT for everyone. It's probably one she would of been better off publishing as Anne Ramplings, like her Sleeping Beauty trilogy. But, overall as an author, Anne Rice is top-notch and should not be judged too harshly because of one of her most bizarre tales. Anne Rice can really paint a vivid picture of passion, intimacy, and legacy. For a simpler taste of what Rice can offer, I agree with Mary, try "The Mummy."

Michelle I agree regarding Violin and the comment about her works being hit or miss. I guess the good thing is you can't exactly pigeon hole her style. Violin *by far* was the worst out of the 6 Anne Rice novels I have read. I wanted to like it, but it just struck me as ridiculous. On the other hand, Feast of All Saints was one of the most enjoyable novels I've ever read. It's completely different than any of her other novels.

Theuniverse67 I tried reading it about six months ago, and haven't picked it back up ever since.
The writing was good; it was the story that didn't interest me so much.
To be honest, I didn't really get it.
Ah, but I love Anne Rice, just not this book by her.

Julie If you couldn't finish this book, consider yourself lucky. I made it to the end and was so mad I chucked the book across the room. Spoiler alert... You can't have it both ways. They can't both win!!! I hated it.

Joseph Duncan Anne is sort of hit or miss. Violin is one of the misses. Don't feel bad that you couldn't finish it.

message 9: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex vanKoot This is funny. Maybe it's just because I am a violinist myself, but this is the most memorable and my favourite of all the books I've read by Rice. I loved it.

message 10: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Fuller The Mummy is the first Anne Rice book I read and definitely one of the best. Violin on the other hand, yeah, definitely a hard one to swallow. It took me a couple of reads to appreciate Memnoch the Devil too.

message 11: by Renee E (last edited Dec 20, 2014 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee E The Mummy was the first one I read, too. It hooked me, not just the richness of the characters and the lucidity of the story, but the beauty of the prose.

Violin wasn't one of my favorites, but it is a book I am glad I did not miss, and I love that AR doesn't let herself get cornered as to what she writes about, that she follows the story, not the demographic. She's a writer, not a panderer, and that's something I greatly respect.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude LOVE AR so very much but Violin is one of the few books in my life that I could not finish.

On the plus side, my favorite book ever ever ever (get the gist?) is The Witching Hour and Feast of All Saints is in my top 25.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude Julie wrote: "If you couldn't finish this book, consider yourself lucky. I made it to the end and was so mad I chucked the book across the room. Spoiler alert... You can't have it both ways. They can't both ..."

I just noticed your somment...now I am considering trying again to find out why you threw the book across the room!

message 14: by Tom (new) - rated it 1 star

Tom Baker Read it--Awful