Book Haven discussion

General > How can I find the genre of a book?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup Does Goodreads list the Genre?

message 2: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup By the way, I use the iPad app, not a computer.

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I think most of the genre is chosen by the reader. When you pick a book, look to the right of the screen and you'll see how other readers have categorized the book.

message 4: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Read a summary of the book. Which may be hard to find on E books. The cover page or back page usually clues you in.

message 5: by L.Y. (new)

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) If you're looking for a specific genre you could do a search, but if you're trying to find out the genre of a book you already have then Cary is right. Reading the summary should give you an idea of which it is. You could also read some of the Goodreads reviews.

message 6: by Samm (new)

Samm (ashmanrose) I've found Goodreads is more about how people generalize the books they read. So if you don't want to follow the crowd and want to get really specific try the Library of Congress Online Catalog. Type in the title, find the right edition and then after you've selected that, click on one of the tabs. It'll tell you everything you need to know. Or else if you've got the book look at the copyrights page. Sometimes that information is above the barcode on the back of the book too.

Here's the link for the Library of Congress
http://catalog.loc.gov/webvoy.htm

Hope that helps!

message 7: by Karen M (new)

Karen M Samm wrote: "I've found Goodreads is more about how people generalize the books they read. So if you don't want to follow the crowd and want to get really specific try the Library of Congress Online Catalog. ..."

Very nice link! Thanks!