Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Tower Team B: Best Book Brigade

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,002 (1002 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jan 02, 2013 07:22PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
A place for team introductions & discussions for Team B.

◈ To view and update your books, go here!

◈ Click on view community to see how your team members are doing.

◈ You will need to elect a Team Captain whose duties include: communicating with all
    team members, making sure you have the correct number of members (not too many
    or too few - and they belong on your team), posting weekly status updates/reminders,
    and dealing with minor issues that arise. You may rotate this duty.

◈ If you would like to decide on a Team Name, certainly feel free to do so!

REMINDERS
◈ Books must be over 170 pages in length for this challenge. We will be
    monitoring this closely. Also, no graphic novels, manga, or children's picture books.
◈ Your book must have a start and stop reading date. Some of you may not be used
    to doing this. These dates can be edited in the review screen of each book. Or, if you
    update the current book you are reading from your update screen (upper right),
    it will do the dates automatically.
◈ Remember to tag every book you read to your special bookshelf or
    Team B won't get credit for it!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 31, 2012 03:38PM) (new)

◈ On January 1st, if you are assigned to Team B , your desired screen will look like this:

Tower1bb_image001_zps75618913

◈ Where the red arrows indicate, fill in the fields. Remember to save!

◈ If you have NOT already made a shelf, this will create one for you. If you have already done so through your own bookshelves, be sure to put in exactly what you typed, including the hyphens between words.

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 31, 2013 04:48PM) (new)

TEAM B

A hyperlink will be added for everyone to view your books (unless your shelves are set to "private"/just friends) soon after you join the challenge on the Home Page.
TEAM B {Challenge}   Team B Thread

Ab2y (200)
Ashley N (USA) {Name Alert} (100)
Brennan (100)
Carrie (075)
Cathy G. {Name Alert} (250)
China??? (100)
Dawn (250)
Dee (005)
Denice (050)
Evil Twin One (Ange) (200)
Ezinwanyi (188)
Gemma (008)
HelenLee (035)
✔✔Inkeri (050)
Irene (190)
✔✔Jazz (100)
Jen??? (120)
✔✔Jex (040)
Jingles (100)
Jodi (120)
Jojiwoji (125)
Jordan (030)
Kate S (320)
Kayla (050)
Kelly (075)
Kristina (100)
Lara (200)
Laura {Name Alert} (070) (dachshund avatar)
Laura (KS) {Name Alert} (052)
Lilac (070)
Lisarenee (200)
Logan (075)
Lottie (AKA TheCuriousDeer) (050)
Mandi (075)
Maria Helena (200)
✔✔Mary (MA) {Name Alert} (200)
Megan (Celtic) (168)
Melissa (NJ) (060)
Michael (100)
Michelle (Australia){Name Alert}(050)
Monica (035)
Nairabell (111)
Nasanta (The Party-Pooping UHQ) (050)
Otl1987 (040)
Ozana (040)
Prami (150)
Rachael (050)
Rebecca (LadyBecca){Name Alert} (165)
Ren (050)
Roseann (251)
Sanz (050)
Sara G. (AL) {Name Alert} (110)
Sarah (Jordan) {Name Alert) (100)
Shannon (112)
Sophia (050)
Stefani (100)
❀Tea❀ ZG Croatia {Name Alert} (160) (Kili)
Thilde (015)
Tori (050)
Tory H. (060)
Turtlecollector (300)
Zanahoria/Taly (050)
Zara (075)
Anticipated Total (6,725)
*Adjusted Total = -100, -120, -60, -60, = 340 = 6385

---
✔rolled off my screen
✔✔about to roll off

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments B stands for Bestest....or best if you want to be grammar police.

message 6: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Yay team B!

message 7: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Hello team b!! I see some familiar faces and some new ones on that list, that is awesome.

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Hi Team B!!! I am a Team C player but want to wish you all a Happy New Year and Good Luck in the Challenge ☺ Have fun and enjoy ☺

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments Thanks Robin you too!

message 10: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Anyone know what book they are cracking open tomorrow?

I am thinking about Flash Point by Nancy Kress . It's been on my TBR for awhile, so now could be a good time for 501 pages.

message 11: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I'm reading Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee and listening to Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins

I read on kindle when I have time...but listen to iPod when kids are using my kindle or when I'm cooking and cleaning since I need my hands. Since kids are home from school tomorrow, I suspect my iPod will get more use. either way, those are the books I'm starting my New year enjoying

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments Anyone want to be team captain?

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments Ezin, Loved Angelfall.

I think I'm starting Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine for buddy read. I also have another buddy read but it is under the required 170 unless I go with a different edition and read the forward etc.

message 14: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I'm reading Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee and listening to Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins

I read on kindle when I have time...but listen to iPod when kids are using my kindle or when I'm cooking..."

If you are picky about endings then good luck with Angelfall. I LOVED it right up until the end and then I just thought, "wait, WTF! Where did that even come from!?" It ruined it for me.

message 15: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Stefani wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I'm reading Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee and listening to Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins

I read on kindle when I have time...but listen to iPod when kids are using my kindle..."

It has a sequel right? It was a recommendation and its a buddy read for me. I am stoked for 2013 because of: Lover At Last, Dead Ever After, Frost Burned, Requiem...I could go on but I'm calling in at work for March

message 16: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Melissa wrote: "Anyone want to be team captain?"

I'm happy to be Team Captain.

message 17: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Stefani wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I'm reading Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee and listening to Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins

I read on kindle when I have time...but listen to iPod when kids are..."

It does have a sequel that supposedly will be released this year. I hope you love it, it seems like I am the odd man out and everyone else just loves it.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments Angelfall has a sequel but it hasn't come out yet

message 19: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Brennan wrote: "Is it just me or does anybody not like sequels? I really just like to get the story done in one nice sitting."

I actually kind of agree with you, especially when it seems like more than one book is SO unnecessary. I've read some where I think, "okay, and 50 more pages couldn't finish this up...why?" Other books I LOVE the first book and the the rest end up being garbage *cough*TheTwelve*cough*. Sometimes series are done well and then I can get interested, but I wish there were more stand alones out there.

Re: Team Captain. I doubt I'd have time to do it by myself, but if someone else wanted to split duties I would gladly take up some of the responsibilities.

message 20: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Dec 31, 2012 07:21PM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Brennan wrote: "Is it just me or does anybody not like sequels? I really just like to get the story done in one nice sitting."

Stefani,
If the ending irks me, I will let you know so you won't be left holding the "Heck No" sign alone!

Brennan, I love sequels too...most of the time because authors like Larissa Ione get better with each book. Pandemonium was better than Delirium; To Tame a highland Warrior was better than Beyond the Highland Mists; Living Dead in Dallas was better than Dead Until Dark etc.

Books that didn't need a sequel: On Dublin Street (sequel in the works); Slammed; Love Unscripted, The Host (of course Stephenie Meyer hasn't even released the so-called sequel); Gabriel's Inferno...

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 781 comments Hello fellow B team members!! I will be reading:

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

and

Vanity Fare A novel of lattes, literature, and love by Megan Caldwell

Plus a few books on my Kindle Fire.

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) Thanks Brennan and Melissa!!!☺ I hope you all have fun with the challenge and wish you the best of luck!!! I know I will be lurking in the different teams just to see what everyone is reading and watch my TBR mountain grow as I add more books to it!!!

message 23: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Hi Everyone. This is going to be so fun. I'm looking forward to this.

message 24: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4950 comments Happy New Year!

My first book will probably be Silk and Shadows (Silk Trilogy, #1) by Mary Jo Putney

Because it's a library ebook that's expiring soon.

message 25: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Brennan wrote: "Zara wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Anyone want to be team captain?"

What's involved in being Team Captain? I could very well be interested in the role."

"◈ You will need to elect a Team Captain whose d..."

That sounds fine. I will be happy to be Team B's Team Captain.

message 26: by Jazz (new)

Jazz | 74 comments Happy New Year!

My first book will be Temptation's Kiss by Sandra Brown

message 27: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I'm currently reading

Wise Words and Country House Ways by Ruth Binney

Wise Words and Country House Ways

Nearly finished it in fact. Very interesting.

message 28: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Hi Team B (:

Still trying to get through my last book of 2012 and I'm working today ): Hopefully I can finish it tonight and crack open something new!

message 29: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 104 comments Hello team B!!

Happy New Year!!! I haven't figured out what my first read of the year will be, still finishing up some 2012 books.

message 30: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Jazz wrote: "Happy New Year!

My first book will be Temptation's Kiss by Sandra Brown"

I want to read more of her books.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments YAY! My first book will be An Abundance of Katherines by John Green .

I am reading his boxed set this year. I am on Chapter four and I love it already!

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I'm reading Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee and listening to Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy, #1) by Wendy Higgins

I read on kindle when I have time...but listen to iPod when kids are using my kindle or when I'm cooking..."

You know we read Angelfall a while ago and I really like it, but I never reviewed it. If you'd like to see our group discussion of it here's a link:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 33: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Zara wrote: "I'm currently reading

Wise Words and Country House Ways by Ruth Binney

Wise Words and Country House Ways

Nearly finished it in fact. Very interesting."

Finished it a while ago.

message 34: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I just wanted to know if I've been accepted for Team Captain or whether someone else has taken on this role?

message 35: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Zara,
I submit to your leadership and authority! I suggest you get a co-captain or Vice President or back up. Stefani volunteered to help.

Lisarenee, thank you for the link. I will check it out. I'm about to start Angelfall now

message 36: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 781 comments Zara I vote for you to be Team Captain.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 34 comments I agree Zara for team captain with Stefani as back up for when Zara needs help

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments I vote for Zara as team captain.

When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions, #2) by Lynette Eason Just finished this as my first book for the year. Starting Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison now and hoping to be able to finish it as well today since I have the day off.

I am excited to see what everyone else plans to read this year.

message 39: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Melissa wrote: "I agree Zara for team captain with Stefani as back up for when Zara needs help"

Thank you Ezinwanyi, Monica, Brennan and Melissa for your votes of confidence. I have also sent a message to Stefani asking if she would be happy to be my back-up. Thanks again.

Team B rocks!!!

Do you want a special name for the group?

message 40: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments Hello peeps! I've spent my first day of 2013 playing with my niece but I'll be starting reading my first real book (couldn't manage the last 100 pages of my previous read last year <----sounds awful). I'll be starting with: Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi

Also yay Zara for captaincy and a name would be awesome though after a day with a 2 year old my brain is all melted and out of ideas.

message 41: by Jazz (new)

Jazz | 74 comments Zara has my vote!

message 42: by Lara (new)

Lara | 676 comments HI Everyone! Somehow GR keeps skipping notifications, so I hadn't realized I'd been assigned to the team.

I vote for Zara as team captain.

I'm on the last few chapters of Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian , and plan to start listening to Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan next.

BTW, I also loved Angelfall. I believe the sequel is finally about to come out.

message 43: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Zara wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I agree Zara for team captain with Stefani as back up for when Zara needs help"

Thank you Ezinwanyi, Monica, Brennan and Melissa for your votes of confidence. I have also sent a me..."

Received and accepted! I am happy to be back up captain on the winning team :)

message 44: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I just finished Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill

message 45: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm good with Zara.

message 46: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 01, 2013 03:59PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Since we're B team should we come up with a 'B' name like Best Book Readers or Book Savvy Babes (Do we have any guys on the team?), or some such?
Oops forgot the extra V the first time.

message 47: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 781 comments Brennan The Virgin Suicides is a book I have set aside to read this year (hopefully)

Brennan I know others have had this problem. Make sure there is a start date and an end date for the book. Not sure if the start date has to be January 1, 2013 to qualify. Make sure your self name is the exact same one you created/registered with. I am not able to see it when I click on the link because your profile is set to private.

I hope that helped.

message 48: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Have you signed up for the challenge on the main page Brennan? Signing up lets you link the shelf so it starts counting. Other then that...no clue.

message 49: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Brennan, I sent you a "friend-invite" so I can look at your bookshelf.

~LK

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Brennan, it has you as reading it for the month of January. No specific day. Very strange.

When you are looking at your bookshelf, try going to the last column way to the right and click "edit" (tiny green font).

When you get to Edit Your Review screen, scroll down until you see "Date I finished this book" and make sure it is today's date.

Also, you might have to click on "more options>>"to get to the "Date I started this book" fields. Looks like it is picking up the date you added it to your bookshelf.

Let me know if this works!

~LK

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 20 21