Urban Fantasy discussion

Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14)
This topic is about Cold Days

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elisa I can't get my mind around it. Is Mab evil or necessary or both? I'm not as afraid of her as I was before reading this latest, but she will not be a good boss!

The Mothers! whoa.

message 2: by Julia (last edited Jan 01, 2013 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julia | 615 comments IMO, she is evil, necessary and a terrible boss for Harry. 'Course, Harry's a rotten employee, too.

Jeffery Nicholas | 6 comments If something is necessary, it cannot by definition be evil. What is necessary is good.

Is Mab necessary?

Someone in Mab's role is necessary. Must she be as mean in her job as she is? Part of the discussion with Mother Summer suggests so, but I don't think it's as simple as that. Yes, you have to be strong to defend the borders and keep out the bad guys. But being strong is not simply about being mean and selfish. That seems to be a conceit in the book, or in Butcher's worldview.

Mab will be a terrible boss, but she knows what she has in Dresden. And if Dresden were less bull-headed, she wouldn't be as terrible a boss.

Elisa You mean if he was more compliant she wouldn't have to torture/abuse/exploit him as much? When Mother Winter said her biggest weakness was sentimentality it gave me hope. I am hoping they can work together. I love H as Winter Knight.

Jeffery wrote: "If something is necessary, it cannot by definition be evil. What is necessary is good.

Is Mab necessary?

Someone in Mab's role is necessary. Must she be as mean in her job as she is? Part of t..."

Jeffery Nicholas | 6 comments No, Elisa, I don't mean that he should be more compliant. I mean that Dresden needs to think more before acting. He doesn't often consider the consequences of his action and tends to act purely from emotion -- particularly anger-- than from reason. Fire is appropriate for Harry because he burns without thinking.

He needs to resist Mab's destructive tendencies, but he has those same tendencies, as I read the books.