! YA Heroines ! discussion

Debates > Love Triangles

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (last edited Dec 28, 2012 07:46PM) (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments This discussion is not really a debate, but a way to voice your view about love triangles in YA lit.

Love triangles appear too often? Written well? Written badly? Pros & cons?

I personally HATE dislike love triangles. Unless they are really well written. What I really don't like is how fake unlikely they actually are in real life. To be frank it just gets extremely quite sappy. The message then goes from she's in love with two people (vise versa) to "Ohhh the irony, Ohh the tragdey, Ohh pity me readers, Ohh who do I choose???"

This is usually the case for me, though I have read a few great love triangles - Too few!!
But I have read many bad ones. Sadly I have completely lost faith in love triangles. I prefer the
'Hate' to don't hate to like to love scenario. The slow burning variety - Yes I'm picky.

Well thats just me. What about you?

XxXx

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 57 comments I also don't particularly like love triangles especially when they take center stage in the plot. This was a promising plot line. Once. Before it was WAYYYY over used. I will read a series some times where book one had one love interest and then book two... BAM! There is another guy! Regardless of how well they are written, love triangle often detract from the rest of the plot and the main character. Take the Hunger Games for example. Everyone was taking sides, Team Gale or Team Peeta. But that was only a small part of what the book was about. Katniss was not and should not be defined by the guy she chooses, and yet, that is what everyone talks about. I am not opposed to love triangles. My only things are that they must not be the main story line and they must be well written.
Now certain books I still like even with bad love triangles. Most of the time, book one only had 1 love interest.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments I know what you mean sometimes the love triangles are all in your face... stops you from completely enjoying the book. For me as I started to read YA, love triangles were OK but after a while it just got old. With the exception of well written ones (e.g. not in your face!)

message 4: by Haley (new)

Haley Oh the dreaded love triangle. I think the thing that annoys me the most about them is that I generally end up liking the wrong guy (ie. the one that she doesn't end up with), and am hugely disappointed at the end of the story. Oh well, that's life I guess. ;)

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments That happens to me too!
It ruins the book for me. :(

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Book love triangles
Books - Happily ever after...(who cares about the other guy?)
Reality - Restraining order...

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Wow thats ironic. Miss Jenny, Queen of Sarcasm does not understand her own launguage??? *Gasp* *Shock*

Nvm this is off topic -- back we go.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (pandabears) | 96 comments Haley wrote: "Oh the dreaded love triangle. I think the thing that annoys me the most about them is that I generally end up liking the wrong guy (ie. the one that she doesn't end up with), and am hugely disappoi..."

Totally agree on this! :D
I get way too carried away with it that I keep on thinking/predicting what's going to happen next with the guy/girl.
Love triangles usually end bad. *sighs* Dreadful & disappointing love triangles either whom that is bad or good... a. he's evil or b. he dies ??

message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments LOL! Love triangles are doomed to fail.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

What would be interesting to read (and a bit different) is a love triangle where one of the characters is gay, so Guy A loves Guy B, Guy B loves Girl, Girl loves Guy A. Why can't someone write this? Instead of "oh two hot guys, who do I choose, argh sparkle vampire or werewolf with shirt allergies, I don't know, which is hotter ergh" *cough* Twilight *cough* and I just used Twilight as an example, but there's sooo many more, and they're not even realistic, and another thing is when its like its such a big deal "I'll die if I can't be with you" YOU ARE 16 YEARS OLD YOU HAVE YOUR WHOLE LIFE AND YOU BARELY KNOW THIS GUY for gods sake

message 11: by Somya (new)

Somya | 121 comments Couldn't agree more!
The Hunger Games IS NOT EQUAL TO Twilight. Period.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy I absolutely love Love Triangles! Haha lol I know I'm outnumbered here, but I just love them! (Good ones, that is).

message 13: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (jabberwockyslayer) I think love triangles can be good, because it builds up suspense and really shows if the endgame relationship is strong. But they can also be extremely annoying if the heroine/hero doesn't just pick someone. I hate when it constantly goes back and forth and there's no clear winner until the last page of the last chapter of the last book.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy Rebekah wrote: "I think love triangles can be good, because it builds up suspense and really shows if the endgame relationship is strong. But they can also be extremely annoying if the heroine/hero doesn't just pi..."

I agree. They have to have a clear 'winner" and there has to be an end.

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (jabberwockyslayer) Nikita wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I think love triangles can be good, because it builds up suspense and really shows if the endgame relationship is strong. But they can also be extremely annoying if the heroine/hero..."

^^^