21st Century Literature discussion

Half of a Yellow Sun
This topic is about Half of a Yellow Sun
2013 Book Discussions > Half of a Yellow Sun - General Discussion, No Spoilers (January 2013)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Jan 01, 2013 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deborah | 983 comments This is for discussion of the book that carefully avoids spoilers. This is a place that one can post general impressions and additional information about themes, history and politics. There is another thread for book discussion with spoilers where one should put their more story specific thoughts.

Deborah | 983 comments I'm mulling over what I'll say when I review. It takes a while to put thoughts together. Really one of the best books I've come across lately. Better because I didn't expect it to be good. I thought it would be like vitamins-good for you, but hard to swallow. The way Adichie treats her characters is beautiful.

Mikela There is a movie now for the book if anyone is interested. http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/1815...

Deborah | 983 comments Is it good?

Sophia Roberts | 1324 comments I read this book when it first came out. I also gave it 5 stars. I remember being hooked almost at once by a story that never failed to keep me interested. The characters and the details felt so real and Adichie's a first-rate story teller. But what really did it for me was the 'education'. I had known next to nothing about the Biafran conflict before I read this book, where the author reveals she has a good, old-fashioned ability to immerse you in her world.

Sophia Roberts | 1324 comments Deborah wrote: The way Adichie treats her characters is beautiful. " She really cares about them, doesn't she? "These are intelligent, funny, but also faulty human beings. No one is perfect, but they seem more real and more lovable as a result. So when their world is blown apart, it really hurts."

Mikela Deborah wrote: "Is it good?"

I haven't seen it yet but it looks like it could be.

Thing Two (thingtwo) I had the opportunity to meet the author last spring, and to listen to her teach a class of aspiring college student/writers. She's a beautiful woman inside and out. I'll read anything by her, anytime.