Friends with Books discussion

Owls in the Family
This topic is about Owls in the Family
Monthly Reads: Children > Owls in the Family

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adriana Discuss Owls in the Family here!

Nathan (nthnlwly) This is VERY short! I grabbed the book today from the library and couldn't believe it. I'll probably polish it off today or tomorrow. I have memories of this book, but I'm not sure if it was good or bad. Can't wait to see what an older me thinks of it. :)

Adriana I saw it was a little more than a 100 pages. It is a kid's book so that makes sense. Hopefully, you like it now. I hate it when I read a book I've read when I was younger and don't even know why I liked it e=in the first place. Ugh.

Nathan (nthnlwly) I know! That bugs me too. I've had some luck with childhood reads lately so hopefully this one isn't any different.

Adriana I forgot to say that i actually enjoyed this more than I thought. Them eating a crow's eggs like that was gross but the story was nice. I like the telltale "oldness" of the book.

message 6: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (kenjenningsjeopardy74) I haven't read this book yet, but I'd like to. My first experience with Farley Mowat as an author was Never Cry Wolf, and it was a memorable (and true) story.

Nathan (nthnlwly) I'm glad you liked it Adriana! I think my having previously read it built me up for not enjoying it.

I'm definitely going to look for more Farley Mowat books, though. He's a popular writer.

Adriana I didn't know he was popular. His name always gets me confused with The Moffats. Never Cry Wolf looks okay. I do really like wolves. He has a certain writing style. I didn't realize he was a naturalist, makes sense.

Nathan (nthnlwly) I think he's more popular here in Canada than he is down there. Could explain why I think he's popular! haha

message 10: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (kenjenningsjeopardy74) Adriana wrote: "I didn't know he was popular. His name always gets me confused with The Moffats."

Oh, yes, that is a good series of books! Written by a Newbery Medalist, in fact (Eleanor Estes, who won the 1952 Medal for Ginger Pye, which I believe was the first Newbery Medal winner I ever read). There are four books in the Moffats series: The Moffats, The Middle Moffat (a 1943 Newbery Honoree), Rufus M. (a 1944 Newbery Honoree) and The Moffat Museum. I must take the time to read the final three books in the series at some point.

Adriana @Trevor- That makes more sense.
@Josiah- I loved Ginger Pye when I was younger. I read it when I was older and it was still good with a few differences in how I felt about it. The second book with the cat was pretty good but not as great. I need to read The Moffats! I've just know them because I loved Ginger Pye when I was younger. I got my mother to read it and I don't think she liked it.

message 12: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (kenjenningsjeopardy74) I haven't read Pinky Pye, but I'd like to eventually. I'm surprised your mother wasn't a fan of Ginger Pye; it's always been one of my mother's favorites. In fact, the copy I read and now own used to belong to her.

Adriana Aw! That's cute <3
It's a little too childish for her. She's liking Museum of Thieves and liked reading Waiting for Normal. I don't think she can get into a book where it has an older feel to it, writing wise.