One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 1.0 > Best Books of 2012

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Which books did you read this year that were your absolute favorites?

Which ones would you recommend to others?

Due to the eccentric readers we have in the group, could you give us a 2-sentence review of the book and tell its genre?

message 2: by Beth (last edited Jan 07, 2013 03:50PM) (new)

Beth (msbhavens1) | 12 comments I think my favorite books this year were rather numerous, Trapped by Kevin Hearne (fantasy) probably tops the list, but his Novella 'two ravens and one crow' was also super. I read all five of Nicole Peelers series(urban fantasy,mythology), the third is my favorite so far. Gail Carriger (Steampunk) thrilled me with the final installment of the Parasol Protectorate series, and I ran into a few new names in up and coming authors in ebooks, The bones of Odin by david leadbeater(ranatasy/urban fantasy shades of LARPING), and mike wells (Modern thriller/Mystery) Lust money and murder. Have to admit I succumbed to Evanovich (Mystery/romance) and relished notorious 19, someone tell her adventure doesn't end with marriage and let Stephanie marry Ranger already! think of the adventures they could have! okay I admit I'm just a bibliophile. Oh and I forgot Mr Penumbra's 24 hr bookstore (Urban fantasy? Mystery? just good writing), also darn good. seriously this is a very short list, I have several more that I liked in multiple genre, these are just recent so on my mind.

message 3: by Zakiya (last edited Jan 06, 2013 07:53PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) That's quite a lot!

I'm not sure what my favorites were....John Green's The Fault in Our Stars and Abundance of Katherines for sure. I also loved Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly, and Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick. Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev & Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and Myra McEntire's Hourglass for sure.

Wattpad.com favorites were Light Dreams, Echoes, and What They Want by DeeStory. and The Bet by ilurvbooks.

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:01PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments My 5 star books of 2012 were:
The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2) by Kady Cross Good Girls Don't (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #1) by Victoria Dahl Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik The Mediator Volume 1 - Shadowland & Ninth Key (Mediator, #1-2) by Meg Cabot You Against Me by Jenny Downham Leaving Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #1) by Simone Elkeles The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) by Kady Cross Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Call Me Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly Savor the Moment (Bride Quartet, #3) by Nora Roberts

It seems like I liked quite a few this year. :) That is good. I loved about 15% of the books I read last year

message 5: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) That's awesome! The more, the merrier :). I have yet to read Epic Fail. I might go do that right now...

message 6: by Zakiya (last edited Jan 06, 2013 08:28PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Same list as above, just with book covers. a little easier to see....

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green An Abundance of Katherines by John Green Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly Silence (Hush, Hush, #3) by Becca Fitzpatrick Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1) by Lisa Mantchev Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) by Myra McEntire

wattpad== Light Dreams, Echoes, What They Want, The Bet

now that i look at it, i had more from 2011 that i loved.

The Rainbow Zebra (therainbowzebra) | 48 comments My faves were Confessions of a Scary Mommy (humor/parenthood) by Jill Smokler--what to REALLY expect when you're a mom ;)

Pharmacide--by Steven Scott Nelson (Crime/thriller)--a pair of doctors track down a pandemic started by a pharmaceutical company

How to be Sick--by Toni Bernhard (Self-Help/Spirituality)--Buddhist practices anyone can use to come to terms with chronic illness/pain

50 Shades Trilogy--E.L. James--Hot, Hotter, Hottest ;)

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 32 comments My favorite book of the year was "The Bungalow" by Sarah Jio. I just loved the story - there is nothing sophisticated or earth shattering about it, but it was fun to read and get lost it.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 493 comments My 5 star reads of 2012:
Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2) by Josephine Angelini A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2) by Kelly Keaton So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3) by Lisa Mantchev The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2) by Kelley Armstrong Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3) by Kiersten White Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2) by Kelly Creagh Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1) by Jessica Shirvington Perception (Clarity, #2) by Kim Harrington Everneath (Everneath, #1) by Brodi Ashton Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2) by C.C. Hunter Until I Die (Revenants, #2) by Amy Plum Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2) by Beth Fantaskey The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3) by Bree Despain Shine (Shade, #3) by Jeri Smith-Ready Charmfall (Dark Elite, #3) by Chloe Neill Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3) by C.C. Hunter A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2) by Suzanne Young The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3) by Kimberly Derting Halflings (Halflings, #1) by Heather Burch The Future of Us by Jay Asher Tiger's Destiny (The Tiger Saga, #4) by Colleen Houck Hidden (Firelight, #3) by Sophie Jordan The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin Guardian (Halflings, #2) by Heather Burch Diabolical (Tantalize, #4) by Cynthia Leitich Smith Concealed (Concealed, #1) by Sang Kromah The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3) by Pittacus Lore Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4) by C.C. Hunter Rescued by His Christmas Angel by Cara Colter Christmas Magic on the Mountain (Harlequin Romance (Larger Print)) by Melissa McClone

And all the rest is some manga and novellas that I've enjoyed reading.

message 10: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Michelle: I'll have to check it out!

Amy: Most of those I've been saying I wanted to read. I'm going to have to step up the pace and get around to them already!

message 11: by Mad Scientist (new)

Mad Scientist (madscientist) | 1119 comments Revolution was amazing!

message 12: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I agree!!! I let my teacher borrow it and she hasn't given it back yet....and she's had it since Nov. //:

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.