David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

David Estes
This topic is about David Estes
Archive's > My Quest for a Million Words!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 274 (274 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
As I've mentioned a few times, when I first started writing seriously (September 2010) I read somewhere that to be a "real" writer, you have to have written a million words. Honestly, I don't really buy into that theory, but still, it's a fun milestone to target and I like numbers, so I said, what the hey! I'm gonna go for it! So here I am a little over two years later and closing in on my goal! Here's the breakdown:

Angel Evolution- 73,000
Demon Evolution- 65,000
Archangel Evolution- 69,000
Unpublished MG Paranormal- 91,000
Nikki Powergloves Series (4 books)- 151,000
The Moon Dwellers- 95,000
The Star Dwellers- 95,000
The Sun Dwellers- 97,000
Fire Country (Feb 1, 2013 planned release)- 97,000
Ice Country (Apr 1, 2013 planned release)- 30,000
TOTAL WORDS- 863,000

Almost there! When Ice Country is finished, then the next book I write will likely put me over the million mark! Woot woot!! I'll keep you all updated here :)

Amy (DemonKittie) (demonkittie) Wow, that is impressive. That is impressive for only 2+ years of writing. I am developing a scifi series in 13 books. It is a lot of work.

I have never been published, but I have written a few novels. While they won't ever see the light of day, I am working on my craft and characters. I totalled it up and I am at about 250,000 words in projects that weren't scrapped. I also have about 30 handwritten notebooks of random things. Won't lie, I am a little bit jealous. LOL

message 3: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments Go David!!!! :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
David, I'm stunned that you've only been writing for two years!! You have incredible talent and I can t wait to see how you'll be with 5, 10 or 15 years of writing experience! Way to go! Party time when you hit the magic million number!

message 5: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Amy Sue wrote: "Wow, that is impressive. That is impressive for only 2+ years of writing. I am developing a scifi series in 13 books. It is a lot of work.

I have never been published, but I have written a few nov..."

Aww wow, I'd say you're doing incredibly well! A 13 book series, crazy! Best of luck :)

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Ally*Lou's Girl*Tomlinson wrote: "Go David!!!! :)"

Thank you Miss Ally!

message 7: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "David, I'm stunned that you've only been writing for two years!! You have incredible talent and I can t wait to see how you'll be with 5, 10 or 15 years of writing experience! Way to go! Party t..."

LOL thanks! When I enjoy something and want it, I tend to really go for it to the point of obsession! (it's my OCD). I can't wait to look back on this time 10 years from now and fondly remember how you were all here from the beginning. That means so much to me, I can't even type it without tearing up. So thank you all for your incredible support :)

message 8: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

6,000 more words today so I'm up to 869,000!

message 9: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments YES!!!!! GOOO DAVID!!!! :)

message 10: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Hehe, thank youuuu Ally :) I'm in the writing zone!

message 11: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebekahc) In awe right now. *slow clap*

message 12: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Rebekah wrote: "In awe right now. *slow clap*"

Lol yay! A slow clap, I've never gotten one of those before :) 6,000 more today, total to 875,000, booyah! And Ice Country to 42,000, close to halfway done woot woot!

message 13: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments Holy crap David, you're on a roll!!!! :)

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Haha, I'm feeling good about finishing the year strong! Hopefully I don't fall apart and get major writers block in the new year lol :)

message 15: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments Haha! I have faith in you! You can do it haha!

message 16: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

5,000 words on New Year's Eve! Woot woot! 880,000 words and counting!!

message 17: by Dvora (new)

Dvora  (igyabc) | 634 comments David wrote: "5,000 words on New Year's Eve! Woot woot! 880,000 words and counting!!"

You rock!!!

message 18: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments David wrote: "5,000 words on New Year's Eve! Woot woot! 880,000 words and counting!!"

OMG DAVID THAT IS SO AMAZING!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

message 19: by Jonel (new)

Jonel If you keep writing at this rate I think I'll need a new eReader just to keep your books on. lol. 5000 words a day means lots of things for you to write and lots of things for me to read when they're published!

message 20: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Dvora wrote: "David wrote: "5,000 words on New Year's Eve! Woot woot! 880,000 words and counting!!"

You rock!!!"

Hehe thanks, right back at ya!

message 21: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Ally*Lou's Girl*Tomlinson wrote: "David wrote: "5,000 words on New Year's Eve! Woot woot! 880,000 words and counting!!"

OMG DAVID THAT IS SO AMAZING!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!"

Lol thank youuuuu!! Happy New Year to you too! Adele and I listened to David Guetta on the beach at Playa del Carmen. It was fun :)

message 22: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Jonel wrote: "If you keep writing at this rate I think I'll need a new eReader just to keep your books on. lol. 5000 words a day means lots of things for you to write and lots of things for me to read when they..."

Hahaha! Eek I hope not, that'd be a lot of books! But I'll definitely be looking to publish 5 more this year so I hope you enjoy them :)

FIVE!!?! 2013 is going to be a VERY good year for my library. I'll need at least a full shelf just for my David Estes collection! I collect real books too, you know. Are all your books in print for my real library? :-). I especially love the Evolution covers for my library!

message 24: by Jonel (new)

Jonel David wrote: "Jonel wrote: "If you keep writing at this rate I think I'll need a new eReader just to keep your books on. lol. 5000 words a day means lots of things for you to write and lots of things for me to ..."

If what you've written so far is any indication, I'm sure I'll love them.

message 25: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "FIVE!!?! 2013 is going to be a VERY good year for my library. I'll need at least a full shelf just for my David Estes collection! I collect real books too, you know. Are all your books in print..."

Lol thank you :) Yes! All my books are in print via Amazon.com. Although I had sold mostly ebooks during 2012, I sold heaps of print copies in December, so that was kind of fun :) Although you might want to wait until I do a round of signed copies in February. I'll be offering signed copies of all my books for the third time :) Thanks so much!!

message 26: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Jonel wrote: "David wrote: "Jonel wrote: "If you keep writing at this rate I think I'll need a new eReader just to keep your books on. lol. 5000 words a day means lots of things for you to write and lots of thi..."

Aww my heart's smiling :)

David wrote: "Karen wrote: "FIVE!!?! 2013 is going to be a VERY good year for my library. I'll need at least a full shelf just for my David Estes collection! I collect real books too, you know. Are all your ..."

Signed books? Count me in! Save me at least one of each, including Nikki Powergloves! Woot, woot!

message 28: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Oh wow!! Amazing lol! Don't worry, there will be an unlimited supply as I'll be printing on demand :) Pricing and details to come soon!

message 29: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

After writing 3,500 words today, I said I was taking the day off today, to which she just shook her head lol!

So Ice Country is over 50,000 words and total 883,500 :)

message 30: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Ice Country!

message 31: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Lolita wrote: "Ice Country!"

Lol almost done! Although I have to take a few days break from it soon to address Fire Country beta feedback from my last 5 betas :) Ice should be ready for beta by Jan 20 though. I'm a bit nervous and hope you like it because I've got a new MC, a guy from ice country, but the whole cast from fire country will be searin' back lol :)

message 32: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Kayla (aka La-la) wrote: "David wrote: "6,000 more words today so I'm up to 869,000!"

I can't even manage 1000 per day right now so way to go! lol"

Aww thanks. It's something you work up to I think. And it helps now that I'm full time too ;)

message 33: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

5,500 today! 889,000 total, closing in on 900k hooray!!

message 34: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Black (ruby_black) @David Near a million, rock on! A dollar a word sounds fair, right? Wouldn't that be awesome.

message 35: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Yay!! At this rate you'll be there in no time at all. :D

message 36: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Ruby wrote: "@David Near a million, rock on! A dollar a word sounds fair, right? Wouldn't that be awesome."

Lol I'll take it, who's offering? :P

message 37: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Black (ruby_black) David wrote: "Lol I'll take it, who's offering? :P"

You never know ;)

message 38: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Got lazy in the afternoon and instead of writing, read The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness for a couple of hours :) But I wrote 4,000 words in the morning, so now I'm at 893,000!

David wrote: "Got lazy in the afternoon and instead of writing, read The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness for a couple of hours :) But I wrote 4,000 words in the morning, so now I'm at 893,000!"

Way to go on both the 4K words AND reading more of The Ask and The Answer!

I like to set little goals and rewards for myself! I.e., If I finish that entire set of financial reports before closing up for the night,I'll watch a 3 hour marathon of Doctor Who tonight! ;-)

message 40: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Karen wrote: "David wrote: "Got lazy in the afternoon and instead of writing, read The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness for a couple of hours :) But I wrote 4,000 words in the morning, so now I'm at 893,00..."

LOL Rewards are important! Love it :)

OK another 5,000 today, whoaaaa nellieee! I'm into the thrilling (at least I hope it's thrilling) climax for Ice Country (65,000 words). Total = 898,000!!

message 41: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Black (ruby_black) @David Any word on the 900,000 mark today?!?

message 42: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

LOL I'm surprised anyone's paying attention :) 4,000 words today means 902,000 total!!! Woohoo, I'm in the final stretch for one million! The second sequel to Fire Country should do it :)

message 43: by Jonel (new)

Jonel Oh, you're getting sooo close!

message 44: by Allie (new)

Allie | 224 comments @David NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG THAT'S AMAZING

message 45: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebekahc) You never cease to amaze me! Well done, David! You're doing so well :D

message 46: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Aww thanks guys :) Just trying to keep everything moving and praying for no writers block this year!

message 47: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Black (ruby_black) David wrote: "LOL I'm surprised anyone's paying attention :) 4,000 words today means 902,000 total!!! Woohoo, I'm in the final stretch for one million! The second sequel to Fire Country should do it :)"

Awesomeness!!!

Yowza, David! How are we going to celebrate when you hit the millionth word??!? ;-D

message 49: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

LOL hmmm if only virtual cupcakes tasted as good as real ones...

I dunno, I'll probably give away a bunch of books, that's what I normally do lol!!

message 50: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

No writing today or the next few days...just editing and finetuning Fire Country to get it ready for all your eyes! The beta feedback is in and it's really positive (but constructive too!). So I guess I'm stuck on 902k for a little while :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6