Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Archived Threads > 2013 AA Reading Goals/Aspirations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4694 comments Mod
Do you have any particular reading goals as far as action/adventure next year? Any new authors you plan to try? Any authors you want to read more of?

message 2: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt I really want to read some more James Rollins. I read Sandstorm and enjoyed it. I have the next few Sigma Force novels and Amazonia on my kindle, but haven't been able to get back to them yet. So many books, so little time!

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4694 comments Mod
I am going to try to read 20 a/a-themed books this year and continue my foray into this genre.

I am always on the lookout for new authors, so I will keep my ears open to discover authors I haven't read yet.

Totally agree with you about there being so little books, so little time!

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
I read 32 A/A books in 2012, so I think I will keep my same goal of 30 A/A books for 2013 as well! There are many new releases I am waiting for this year, as well as quite a few series I need to continue on with. Of course I am always open for recommendations from other AAAs also...I love finding a new favorite author!

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

That's a good number, Lisa. Did you discover some really great authors last year that you want to read more of?

message 6: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "That's a good number, Lisa. Did you discover some really great authors last year that you want to read more of?"

I did Danielle...in fact, most of the books I read were from new to me authors. How about you?

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 465 comments I have a few pulpy action adventure novels given to me last January that I need to get into. Might add them onto my challenge. I think I can read twenty though a lot of them will probably be mixing genres!

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I read more A/A books then I thought I would. My goal was 25 I read 31 so my goal for 2013 will be 30.

When it comes to new A/A authors I read in 2012 my favorite would have to be Larry Correia and the MHI series. It's really not fair to say favorites because I liked so many authors this past year. From Daniel O'Mally's, The Rook and books written by Robert McCammon.

I can't leave out the authors from our very own A/A members that I've read and enjoyed, Steve Trotter and Alex Sheridan. Looking forward to reading more A/A authors in 2013!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Lisa I did really good in this genre. I discovered and read:

Mark Greaney
Brett Battles
James Rollins (knew about but hadn't read yet)
Robert McCammon

I also have found some great new authors I will read.

Like Eileen said, it's great to get to know some authors personally on the group. Since I don't have much time for ebook reading outside of my reviewing, I haven't gotten to read them yet, but looking forward to it.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I have a few pulpy action adventure novels given to me last January that I need to get into. Might add them onto my challenge. I think I can read twenty though a lot of them will probably be mixing..."

That's okay. A lot of my reading is multi-genre as well.

message 11: by Eileen (last edited Jan 02, 2013 03:09PM) (new)

Eileen I too, like mixing up my reading genres....keeps things fresh.

message 12: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Eileen wrote: "I too, like mixing up my reading genres....keeps this fresh."

Me too...just depends on my mood :)

message 13: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I'm a genre mixer... (and I'm still recommending the Spinward Fringe series for sci-fi... fun reads (I haven't stopped reading them since I started. I'm on the last book before the next spin off series. )

message 14: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I'm a genre mixer... (and I'm still recommending the Spinward Fringe series for sci-fi... fun reads (I haven't stopped reading them since I started. I'm on the last book before the next spin off s..."

I have the first one Hugh...definitely going to give it a try in 2013 :)

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 792 comments I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I'm a genre mixer... "

Me, too. I have huge TBR pile & never know what I'm going to be in the mood for, but have something to fit the bill.

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I'm a genre mixer... (and I'm still recommending the Spinward Fringe series for sci-fi... fun reads (I haven't stopped reading them since I started. I'm on the last book befo..."

I think the books, story and characters keep getting better. This may get one of my illusive 5 star ratings.

Jim wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I'm a genre mixer... "

Me, too. I have huge TBR pile & never know what I'm going to be in the mood for, but have something to fit the bill."

I have some of everthing in my TBR. Kindle's been spoiling me. Of course, if your a The Great Book of Amber fan, that probably means you have diverse tastes.

(/P-{D>

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 449 comments I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I'm a genre mixer... (and I'm still recommending the Spinward Fringe series for sci-fi... fun reads (I haven't stopped reading them since I started. I'm on the last book before the next spin off s..."

I think this needs to be put on my 2013 list ... I read one, liked it and it's on my 'go back to' list but just haven't gotten there yet.

message 18: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Sharon wrote: "I, Curmudgeon wrote: "I'm a genre mixer... (and I'm still recommending the Spinward Fringe series for sci-fi... fun reads (I haven't stopped reading them since I started. I'm on the last book befo..."

Heck yeah it does. This didn't strike me as "Hard Science Fiction" but it evolves over the series and the rough edges in the first book are very smooth by the middle of the series. Now I'm on the 7th book and Lalonde has become very polished and complex. For me, this has found a way into what I like to call "Hard Sci-fi" yet, it's kept the space-fantasy (Star Wars/Serenity (Firefly)) quality that I liked so much from the beginning.

Translation and synopsis of the above.... "boy did this get better!"

and I liked the first ones a LOT!

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 449 comments Definitely needs to go on the 2013 'list' ... along with the rest of the Monster Hunter International series.

message 20: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

OH, double Heck YEAH... I think my review expresses my opinion of MHI.

And on this one, the audiobooks are cheap on audibile.com and I can say the narrator (a new name to me) does a fantastic job with this. Wonderful voices for the characters (not all his I understand) and he gets the jokes so he doesn't trip when delivering the punchlines.

These are my two favorite 2012 reads right now.... well I usually like to give it a month or two before I start calling a book a "favorite read" but I like both these series a lot!

message 21: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I, Curmudgeon wrote: "OH, double Heck YEAH... I think my review expresses my opinion of MHI.

And on this one, the audiobooks are cheap on audibile.com and I can say the narrator (a new name to me) does a fantastic jo..."

Ditto!!!

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Regarding your Hard Sci-Fi comment, Hugh, I think I prefer the more rustic science fiction like Serenity/Firefly. I get kind of bored when too much focus is on the technology and philosophy stuff. I guess I'm just kind of low brow in that regard. I am still finding my niche in Sci-Fi book-reading, honestly. I love the movies/tv.

message 23: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

It's not as much Steampunk in space as Firefly, and not so much sci-fi oriented fantasy as Star Wars but, I think it stays character/plot focused enough that you might like it.

It does have some rather cool "Sci-fi" notions towards the end, that have been well written into the story so you don't even notice them. By the time Lalonde brings them out, there is plenty of character driven story that it doesn't overpower the main thrust.

I think the philosophy end is more a subtext not the main text, though there is good stuff there too.

That's just my take on it. I'm declaring it a good read. I liked it a lot.

message 24: by Fubl (new)

Fubl | 1 comments Overall I'm reaching for 90 books but on pace for closer to 130ish. Due to so many sub genres and difference in opinions I am aiming for probably 25 of those being a/a books

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I am cheering for you, Fubl!