Reviews for the Literary Inclined discussion

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
This topic is about City of Lost Souls
YA Fantasy/PNR/Horror > City of Lost Souls

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jax (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jax MORTAL INSTRUMENTS #5 - CITY OF LOST SOULS
City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA / Fantasy
Published:8 May 2012
Date Read: 18 - 24 Dec
My Rating: 7.5 / 10

I think that in some cases, both authors, and publishers should plan ahead and not try sell as much as possible.

This is one of those series, that I think would have been better had they stopped at no.3
I thoroughly Enjoyed, City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass. Then they released City of Fallen Angels, and having started the series, I read it. And having read City of Fallen Angels, it was a given that I’d have to read City of Lost Souls in order to find out what happened.

And after all that... I was somewhat disappointed and more than a little irritated reading this.
There were just too many threads, all dealing with various relationship issues, self doubt etc , etc.
All a little too Angst-y for my tastes... Not to mention, in one or two cases, just some seriously stupid decisions being made.
None of the issues, either brought forward, or new to this novel progressed much or got resolved, which contributed to the lack of character growth.

Having said all that, I will admit that it is entirely possible that most of my issues on this particular novel stem from the fact that (as much as I may wish it) I’m no longer a ‘Young Adult’. :)

message 2: by Flora (last edited Jan 10, 2013 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I had wondered about this one. I read City of Fallen Angels and was so disappointed I opted not to continue this series. I agree, it should have stopped at the third book as I too loved the first 3. But I wasn't a Young Adult when I read those so chances are good that's not where your issues stem from ;)

message 3: by Jax (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jax :)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 123 comments I have to admit I was surprised they kept it going after #3. I thought there was enough resolution to end there.

message 5: by Jax (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jax Yup... and judging by the end of City of Lost Souls, they're going to try for another one.
However, I doubt I'll read it...