Book Nook Cafe discussion

Health-Exercise-Diet > Health ~ Diet ~ Exercise ~~ 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 604 (604 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments I'm starting a new thread for 2013. Here we can list our diet/exercise goals for the year and I hope encourage each other across the finish line of success.

We can do it !!

message 2: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 28, 2012 03:36PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments My diet/exercise goals for 2013 are:

Exercise 4-5 days a week minimum.
Eat 80% plant based diet and use Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss as my guide.

message 3: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments 5 Signs It's Time to Get Serious about Weight Loss
The Time to Commit to Losing Weight is Now

It's easy to say that you want to lose weight. It's also easy to find the motivation to hit the gym regularly and choose the right foods in the beginning. After a few weeks, our motivation seems to wane and those old, unhealthy habits of yours start to creep back in. What seemed so easy at first is now difficult. You have cravings. You're tired. You miss those social dinners with your friends and doughnuts at the office. That 6 a.m. aerobics class doesn't seem as fun, and getting up without hitting the snooze button seems impossible.

Sound familiar? So many of us have fallen into this yo-yo diet and exercise trap over the years. You decide you want to lose weight, start a program, and even start to see some results and then…life gets in the way. Before you know it, you're off your healthy living plan again. While SparkPeople has the tools and resources that make weight loss fun and uplifting—a true lifestyle change—you still need to commit to using them. You have to commit now and, well, forever. You have to choose to change your life, both when life is breezy and when things aren't going your way. Whether you have 5 pounds or 150 pounds to lose, you have to get serious if you're ever going to reach your goals.

So how do you know if it's time to get real? How do you know if you're committed to your weight-loss efforts this time around? If any of the five signs below sound like you, then you aren't 100% committed to getting healthy. (Don't worry; we'll help you get there!)

5 Signs It's Time to Get Real about Weight Loss

Sign #1: You keep waiting to start.
If you really want or need to lose weight but keep putting it off until tomorrow, next week, or even later in the future, you're not serious about weight loss. There is no perfect time to lose weight; you'll always have to deal with stress and work and LIFE, and there's no better way to get started than to jump right in today. Don't put off getting healthy for another day. Get healthy now. Why waste another day? Right this second you can start improving your health by doing something as simple as going for a short walk, choosing the stairs over the elevator or even looking up the online menu of the restaurant you're going to tonight and ordering a healthy dish. There's no time like the present. Your life starts now!

Stop putting it off: Tell a loved one that you're committed to changing your life and losing weight the right way. Then write down three simple things that you can do TODAY to be healthier, such as drinking a glass of water, walking around the block once or eating two fewer bites than you normally would. By sharing your goals, you'll stay accountable and by starting small, you'll build momentum to make more changes.

Sign #2: You can't do the things you want to do.
Did you once love to travel, but now have problems fitting in the airplane seat? Can you no longer play tag or run around with your kids? Does dancing with your friends or walking up a flight of stairs leave you winded? If you can no longer do what you need to do (walk without discomfort, take the stairs) or want to do (visit an amusement park, buy new clothes off the rack), it's time to get serious. With regular exercise and some simple food swaps, you can be back to your usual self and live your dreams.

Focus on functionality: For motivation, make a list of the things you want to do but can't do comfortably (or at all) right now. Weight loss isn't just about wearing smaller pants size; it will help you live the life you want. Your motivation can come from the list you made—all of your goals and dreams, both big and small. Then, with your doctor's blessing, begin a functional fitness program today. Go for regular walks to improve your cardiovascular fitness, and try these exercises to help make your everyday activities easier to do. Before you know it, the pounds will drop, but more importantly, you'll be able to do all the things you love to do.

Sign #3: You're facing chronic health issues.
Being overweight or obese puts a huge strain on your body and increases your risk for many chronic health problems, including type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and stroke, metabolic syndrome, certain types of cancers, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, gallbladder disease, fatty liver disease, pregnancy complications and premature death. Many of these conditions don't exhibit any symptoms, but that doesn't mean you haven't started developing them just because a doctor hasn't made a diagnosis yet. If any of these conditions run in your family or you know that you're at risk due to your weight or lifestyle, see a doctor right away. You can no longer treat weight-loss as an option. It's a necessity for you to save your own life.

Live longer and healthier: If you haven't had a physical in the last year, schedule one with your doctor today. If you do have any health issues, seek treatment and ask the doctor what types of physical activity you can do and if there are any dietary restrictions. Once your doctor has given the OK, get started with SparkPeople's beginner's exercise safety tips and start making healthier food choices to get on the road to a healthier you.

Sign #4: You give up easily.
Do you throw in the weight-loss towel after you eat a cookie or miss a single workout? Then you need to get real and learn to forgive yourself. Health and weight issues don't result from one small mistake during a 24-hour period; it's what you do day after day, time after time that really counts. You don't have to be perfect, but you do have to be consistent. So stop beating yourself up for every mistake. We all make them! It's what you do next that matters. Commit to making healthy choices most of the time, and you will reach your goals!

Get back on track: Promise that you'll be kind to yourself when you do slip up, and create a get-back-on-track plan. If you're not sure where to start, try one of these tips!

Sign #5: You're envious of others who have lost weight.
If you feel self-conscious about your body and size around others or feel extremely jealous of other people who have lost weight, then it's time for you to focus your energies on your own self-improvement. These feelings may signal something deeper that needs your attention. As you might guess, weight-loss isn't just about choosing to eat right and exercise. Many times, it's also about having the self-worth to make a change and believing that you deserve to do something positive for yourself!

Make yourself a priority: Stop comparing yourself to others. Everyone's journey and circumstances are different. So instead of wondering why you weren't blessed with a faster metabolism like your co-worker was, focus on what you love about yourself. The next time you become envious or self-conscious, remind yourself that you deserve good things in life, too, so commit to make healthy choices. Weight loss isn't a weakness, a desire to conform, or a sign that you're not awesome just the way you are. Every person is worthy of love, respect and self-care—and maintaining a healthy weight is part of that.

Losing weight is hard work, but the change begins with you and it starts right now. If any of these signs describe you, it's time to stop talking about weight loss and commit to it. A great way to begin is by signing up for a free account at SparkPeople.com and following the SparkDiet, a four-stage journey that teaches you how to make healthy lifestyle changes, one simple step at a time.
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/m...

message 4: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments 50 Ways to Be Healthier
Feel your best from head to toe!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nu...

message 5: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments I thought this was interesting and a bit surprising. I would think the weight of food I eat varies. Perhaps it averages out over a week.

"Here’s why vegetables are key to feeling full longer: “There’s strong research that shows people eat the same weight of food every day,” says Kitchin. This factor is crucial to your weight management strategy. When you get hungry, eat vegetables — which are low in calories — in place of higher-calorie food items. These high-fiber foods will help you feel full longer and stay slender. Salads are a classic filler, but you can also add extra veggies to cooked dishes for volume,"
http://www.everydayhealth.com/digesti...

message 6: by Carol (last edited Dec 28, 2012 09:08PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments beginning January 1, 2013 goals for good health --

1) Diet: I am going on the Daniel Fast which consists of eating fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds, legumes, oil, and water. It is a 21 day fast. I have done this before and felt great physically, mentally and spiritually.

2) Exercise: return to gym, circuit training & elliptical; yoga; swimming.

3) Continue with naturopathic supplements, and necessary RX.

(I have been diagnosed for 15 years with 2 autoimmune diseases. This past year I no longer needed to take Coumadin daily for an anti coagulation disorder which surprised many of my doctors and me, for which I am eternally grateful.)

message 7: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments It's nice to read the goals of others here. I mentioned mine, less specific than what has been shared, but what i most want.

1) Maintain an hour of working out each day. If i snooze, i tend to lose...er...not resume the next day. So even if i only manage 30 minutes, i count it. I walk treadmill, when not outdoors, and have some mixed exercises for upper body. Swim in summer.

2)Stop eating after 9 PM.

message 8: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Carol wrote: "beginning January 1, 2013 goals for good health --

1) Diet: I am going on the Daniel Fast which consists of eating fruit, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds, legumes, oil, and water. It is ..."

----------------

http://danielfast.wordpress.com/danie...
I see from this link it is a vegan diet. A few of my family members are giving up dairy. They say they feel a lot better. It's actually similar to the Dr. Fuhrman diet I am thinking of, without the spiritual component.
I'm going to read up more on it.

Great news on the Coumadin. You must be on the right healthy eating path. Wishing you continued success !

message 9: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Madrano wrote: "It's nice to read the goals of others here. I mentioned mine, less specific than what has been shared, but what i most want.

1) Maintain an hour of working out each day. If i snooze, i tend to lo..."

--------------

Continued success, Deb. I know you did really well last year.

Today I went for a 45 min. walk even though it is sleeting outside. Though my plans for the rest of the day consist of my couch, a book and a nice hot cup of tea.

message 10: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments 9 Tips to Lower Risk of a Heart Attack or Stroke

Many conditions, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, atrial fibrillation, or diabetes, increase your chance of having a heart attack or stroke. Take action today to lower your chances.

Exercise a little each day. Moderate exercise lowers your risk of heart attack by 30% to 50%. Aim for 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least 5 days a week. On the other 2 days, strength train. If it’s too much, break it into small chunks, and build up your time. Try a 15-minute walk in the morning and another before lunch.

Set a reasonable goal for weight loss. If you're overweight or obese, you don’t have to get thin to reduce your risk for heart attack and stroke. Losing 5% to 10% of your weight improves cholesterol and lowers your blood pressure and blood sugar.

Take your heart medicine. One study found that 130,000 Americans die every year because they don't take heart medicines the way their doctor told them. Figure out what keeps you from taking your medicine -- such as side effects, cost, or forgetfulness – and ask your doctor for help.

Eat well. Making the effort to follow a healthy diet can lower your risk of heart disease by 24%. Fill your plate with a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, and lean meats.

Drink some alcohol, but not too much. If you’re already a drinker, the good news is any type of alcohol helps your heart. Too much alcohol, though, raises your risk of heart attack, stroke, and symptoms from atrial fibrillation. To get the benefit without the risk, limit alcohol to one drink if you’re a woman and two if you’re a man.

Eat a little chocolate. Several studies show that people who eat chocolate more than once a week lower their risk of heart disease by almost 40%, of diabetes by about 30%, and of stroke by about 30%. Until researchers determine the amount of chocolate that reduces risk, keep your portions small so you don’t gain weight and work your heart harder.

Don't smoke. Smoking dramatically increases your risk of heart attack and stroke. You don’t even have to be the one smoking. Each year, about 46,000 people die from heart disease related to their exposure to second-hand smoke.

Go to the dentist. Getting your teeth scraped and cleaned every 6 months may lower your risk of heart attack by 24% and of stroke by 13%. A dentist may also spot signs of heart disease -- such as swollen gums or loose teeth -- before you or your doctor notice symptoms, allowing you to get treatment earlier.

Pay attention to your symptoms and tell your doctor. Don't just hope your symptoms will go away. See your doctor for any unusual symptoms -- such as shortness of breath, changes in heart rhythm, or exhaustion. There's a lot your doctor can do to treat a heart problem -- once you ask for help.

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/st...

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I have to admit that I will miss eating Chobani yogurt, delicious with 12 grams of protein.

message 12: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Could Two Words Help You Resist Temptation?

Refusing food by saying 'I don't' can increase feelings of control, study suggests.

THURSDAY, March 22, 2012 (HealthDay News) — When it comes to weight loss, the words you choose when refusing something tasty can make the difference in whether you are able to resist temptation, new research suggests.

For instance, when offered a slice of pie, responding with the words "I don't" increases the likelihood you will stick to your diet, rather than saying "I can't."

"Whether it's buffalo wings at a tailgate or heaping plates of calories at the Thanksgiving day dinner table that is your downfall, help is merely a couple of words away," wrote co-authors Vanessa Patrick and Henrik Hagtvedt.

This insight is based on the notion that saying 'I can't' to temptation inherently signals deprivation and the loss from giving up something desirable," the University of Houston and Boston college researchers explained in a journal news release.

On the other hand, they said, the "I don't" strategy shows a sense of determination and empowerment.

In conducting the study, the researchers assigned 30 women to one of three groups and followed them for 10 days. Each group received a single strategy for refusing foods: "I don't," "I can't" or "Just say no."

The study, published online in the Journal of Consumer Research, revealed the 'I don't' strategy boosted people's feelings of autonomy, control and self-awareness. This strategy also created a positive change in their long-term behavior, such as renewed dedication to weight loss.

"What's great about this research is that it suggests a strategy that is simple, straightforward and easy to implement. And most importantly...it works," the authors concluded.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/...

message 13: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 30, 2012 10:06PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments 12 tricks from dietitians and successful dieters who were able to lose and weight and keep if off.

Build more lean muscle. Maintain, or even increase, your metabolism by continuing to build lean muscle. "Muscle has a higher metabolism than fat does," explains Emily Banes, RD, clinical dietitian at Houston Northwest Medical Center. If you don't yet train with weights, add this type of exercise to your overall program now If you do, increase the amount of weight you're working with to keep yourself challenged.

Fight off hunger with more filling foods. A three-year University of Pittsburgh study of 284 women between the ages of 25 and 45 found that those who avoided weight gain the best were the ones whose meals kept them feeling full. "Keeping that feeling of fullness can be done with foods high in fiber — think fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein," says Jenna Anding, PhD, RD, of the department of nutrition and food science at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas.
Avoid temptation. The University of Pittsburgh study also found that women who best controlled their weight were good at resisting the temptation to binge on forbidden treats. This doesn't mean never indulging in a gooey dessert again, but rather picking — and limiting — your moments. There are many ways to avoid daily temptations, including planning ahead when eating out, eating out less, and banning your worst weaknesses from the house.

Count calories. Another hallmark of successful weight maintenance, according to the University of Pittsburgh study, is regularly counting calories. Use a journal such as My Calorie Counter to keep a running total throughout the day if that helps you keeps track of calorie consumption. In the weight-control survey, the women who were most successful at less than 1,800 calories a day and limited fat intake.
Plan your meals in advance. A maintenance diet has a lot of the same components as a weight-loss diet. Having a meal-by-meal plan that you can stick to, although it has more calories than your diet plan did, can act as a guide to keep you on track.

Consider adding minutes to your exercise plan. Experts recommend at least 30 minutes of physical activity five days a week, but emphasize that the more you exercise, the better able you are to maintain a weight loss. Participants in the weight control survey walked for at least 60 minutes daily — or burned the same calories with other activities — so aim for 60 to 90 minutes of physical activity every day.

Measure your portions. According to a Center for Disease Control (CDC) study of more than 4,000 U.S. adults, the biggest factors in success were measuring portions and fats, the most caloric foods, in particular. This doesn't mean you have to carry a food scale everywhere you go, but using it as often as possible at home will teach you how to eyeball portion sizes at restaurants and immediately know how much to eat, and how much to take home in a doggie bag.

Weigh yourself daily. The same CDC study reported that people who weigh themselves once a day are twice as successful at keeping off lost weight as those who don't step on the scale as often. Daily weigh-ins, which can be discouraging when you're on a diet, can be a boon during maintenance; they let you see, and stop, any slow creep upward as soon as it happens.

Include dairy in your diet. According to a study of 338 adults, those who ate three or more servings of low-fat dairy daily were more likely to keep off the weight than those who ate one serving or less. For women in particular, this has the additional benefit of improving bone health.

Let your plate be your guide. When you can't count calories or measure portions accurately, Banes recommends using the "plate method" as a way to control the amount you're eating. A great tip for dieters, it works just as well for people on a maintenance plan. Simply put, when you serve yourself using this method, at least half your plate should be vegetables and the remaining space should be divided evenly between lean protein and whole grains. If you go back for seconds, limit yourself to vegetables, fruit or low-fat dairy.

Watch less TV. In the National Weight Control Registry Survey, dieters who watched fewer than 10 hours of TV a week were more successful in maintaining weight loss than those who spent more time vegging out in front of the tube. And less TV time might have other benefits, too — an analysis from the Harvard School of Public Health found that too much TV can raise your risk for heart disease, diabetes, and death.

Eat breakfast. They call it the most important meal of the day for a reason. In the survey, women who regularly ate breakfast were more successful with long-term weight loss than those who skipped the first meal of the day. It’s best to eat similar healthy choices regularly (think oatmeal, Greek yogurt, and fresh fruit) and always start out with a good breakfast to avoid splurging or overeating on special occasions.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/...

message 14: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments I think most of us know the above guidelines.

Though I thought the "Let your plate be your guide" tip most useful. Especially the part about what to eat when going back for seconds.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I think it is better to weigh yourself weekly not daily.
Writing down everything you eat is also important.

message 16: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 31, 2012 07:40AM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments I write it down on a wall type calendar (I don't hang it up) I write my weight and also what exercise I did.

I like that I can look at a glance and see how I am doing for the month.

Actually I need to go to the 99 cent store and pick one up today.

As to journaling what I eat, I also do it, but not consistently. I'll be good for a few months then stop. I started again yesterday.

I write the food and guesstimate the calories as I don't weigh my food. I did have a food scale but it broke last month. I have a calorie book if I really don't know the calories.

Anyone else have tips to share?

message 17: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments In addition to reducing tv watching, the best idea is to not allow yourself to eat while you watch tv. Indeed, i have been setting rules for where i may or may not eat, which seems to help. TV is the last to go, btw. I now eat every meal at the table. The key will be for me to eat snacks there, too. It would be most inconvenient after my 9PM deadline. :-)

message 18: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 31, 2012 04:59PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Deb, a lot of the Buddhist articles I read talk of "mindful eating". They suggest no TV or even radio. Just really focus on the meal. - Really examine and enjoy the taste, smell and texture etc.

I haven't tried this yet.

message 19: by Carol (last edited Dec 31, 2012 01:10PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I just journal food and exercise in a regular Day Minder from Staples. Have you ever heard of "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper as a pauper?" That's what we do here. It is better to eat less at night.

Years ago when I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) & Sjogrens Syndrome I was on mega prednisone and gained 50 lbs. I was just terrible to live with. I did weight watchers and it was very helpful to be accountable to someone so that you can be successful. It took me 1 year to lose 40 lbs. and another year to lose the last 10 lbs. My diet is mostly vegan but I also eat yogurt, fin fish and organic if possible. I only drink water. Exercise important, Walking everyday is a must. It's strange to hear the snow crunch under your feet. But it's great to be outside!

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments Madrano wrote: "In addition to reducing tv watching, the best idea is to not allow yourself to eat while you watch tv. Indeed, i have been setting rules for where i may or may not eat, which seems to help. TV is t..."

I eat in front of the computer. :-)

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise | 43 comments Every year I swear I am going to start and commit to an exercise program but every year I fail. So.....this year I am going to try some reverse psychology. I am not going to commit to any exercise program but just acknowledge I need to move more.

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 2 comments How do you lose weight after 44 is what I want to know :(

message 23: by Alias Reader (last edited Dec 31, 2012 05:04PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Well, we can try to be accountable to each other here. We can offer each other tips, articles and encouragement.

Today I ate well and would have been at my 1200 calorie goal except for the tin of candy my sister made me. Yup... ate the whole darn tin in a few days.

On the plus side I did a total of 5.79 miles in 2 separate walks.

message 24: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Carol wrote: Years ago when I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) & Sjogrens Syndrome I was on mega prednisone and gained 50 lbs. I was just terrible to live with. I did weight watchers and it was very helpful to be accountable to someone so that you can be successful. It took me 1 year to lose 40 lbs. and another year to lose the last 10 lbs
------------
Sorry to hear of the medical issues you are dealing with.

It's terrific that you were able to lose 50 lbs.

I read the Weight Watchers board daily.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments The good news for me is that I have had so much damn sugar in the past few weeks that I think I am actually tired of it.

message 26: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments How did you do on the first day of the year?

Even though it was cold out (around 35) I went for an hour walk. I didn't want to go out, but I couldn't fail on my first day !! lol

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments I am starting tomorrow. Actually I have a meeting after work tomorrow. I am starting Thursday. :-)

message 28: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments I'm doing rather well, but not perfectly. After 2 days, right? One of which i was too ill to eat much. LOL! Still, i'm not unhappy. Moving away from watching tv while we eat is a big step in correcting some of my other bad eating habits. It's the Mindful Eating. When DH rose for seconds, i stopped eating. He couldn't believe it until i explained my intention. I thought that was odd.

The exercise hasn't been a problem, as i have come to accept it better than i ever would have thought possible. However, i walk the treadmill, which is so different from walking outdoors that it's disconcerting to call it the same thing. Maybe i need to up my speed.

Dawn, i understand the frustration. I think a late-in-life desire to lose weight means that we have to concentrate more on the process. That's about all i can help, though.

Denise, you'll have to let us know if your reverse psychology works. If so, sell the plan! For me, giving up the guilt when i cease setting resolutions is a relief in itself. Often, it's relief enough to motivate me to move!

Carol, thank you for sharing your story. I cannot imagine what a blow the diagnosis & the physical cost of the medication must have been. It sounds as though you have tackled it & i congratulate you. And i agree with you about the not eating late at night, it's the follow-through that appears to be the tough part!

As always! :-)

deborah

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Today is "day 2" for me because my husband insisted on Jan. 1st to use his Christmas present & make a frittata for all! (Which was delicious.)

I am doing good with the fast-- love lentils, oats, veggies and fruit. I do miss eggs, chobani yogurt & tea. (Can only drink water so I drink hot water). Haven't been to the gym yet. I would walk but it's 14 degrees right now! (I know -- not a good excuse!)

My parents keep me busy-- my dad is blind and my mom is currently in a wheelchair, they live at home (next town) so I am their chauffeur, maid, chef, etc. Plus my dad refuses to get their groceries delivered to their house so that is what we are doing today -- grocery shopping. He calls every morning to let me know what is happening for the day. Between them and my daughter, I am never bored. I don't think I couldn't do all this if I didn't have faith and compassionate friends at church who have been more than generous and supportive.

message 30: by Alias Reader (last edited Jan 03, 2013 10:08AM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Carol wrote: I would walk but it's 14 degrees right now! (I know -- not a good excuse!)
---------
Sounds like a good excuse to me ! I was going to use the 30 degrees where I am as an excuse. Though I do have a treadmill and some exercise DVDs, so that really doesn't work.

Gosh, Carol. You have so much on your plate as a caregiver. Do remember to take care of yourself, too. I am sure you are much appreciated by all.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Thanks Alias. I do make time to rest -- read books & "chat" on goodreads -- otherwise I will regret it later.

My mom, dad & I are going to see a new surgeon on Monday. I pray that whatever is going on in her spine, that he will get her back on her feet. She is not the type to stay home!

message 32: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Worst fast-food meals for sodium

(click on thumbnail photo's for info at this link)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/04/health/...

A few weeks ago a friend wanted to go to Panera. I checked their online nutritional stats and was agast at the sodium. Even the kids menu had more than one should have in one meal.

I ended up not eating a meal because of this and just having a decaf coffee and half a muffin. I try to not eat more than 1200 a day. Since I seldom eat out and try not to eat a lot of processed foods, it's not so difficult.

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise | 43 comments Alias Reader wrote: "Worst fast-food meals for sodium

(click on thumbnail photo's for info at this link)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/04/health/...

A few weeks a..."

Wow. You are right. I went to the salad list at Panera thinking it could not be that bad but it would seem that the additives to the salads have all been prepped with salt. Why we need garlic seasoned onions is beyond me. I was going to suggest holding off on the dressing or having it placed to the side but the dressing is not the culprit. Salad with least sodium is the classic. It has a grand total of 500+ mg which is a quarter of what is recommended on a heart healthy diet. Damn, I really enjoyed Panera's salads

message 34: by Madrano (new)

Madrano (madran) | 3732 comments Carol wrote: "I would walk but it's 14 degrees right now! (I know -- not a good excuse!)..."

That excuse works for me, Carol.

I'm glad we are part of your personal caretaking. I know it's a challenge helping others live a good life now. It's good you have a recourse to sanity, yea books!

Good luck with the surgeon Monday. I hope there is relief in sight.

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments BUT PANERA IS YUMMY!! :-)
My parents eat there alot even though my mom is watching her sodium. I do remember her complaining about it. I am guessing sodium is an issue at almost all restaurants though. She does get her dressing on the side. She gets the strawberry chicken salad alot but they don't have that in the winter. I think she said the chicken salad sandwich isn't bad? (I didn't read the link)

message 36: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments I didn't find a single thing on their online menu that would fit a healthy sodium choice. Most meals should not exceed the calories by a great deal. (that would be 400 max for a meal if you follow a 1200 calorie diet and eat 3 meals no snacks ) Most meals are 1000 or over at Panenra.

I would suggest she check the online menu for all the chain restaurants she visits.

message 37: by Carol (last edited Jan 05, 2013 06:53PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I think all restaurants and take out food is high in sodium!! Make all your meals at home, less money and so much better for you! Next spring plant a garden, nothing like fresh vegetables picked minutes before supper. It's not that hard. In the winter I use my crock pot for soups, stews.

If I think back when we were growing up everything we ate was made at home from scratch. How many obese people did you know? I can't remember any being obese. We were all active -- I rode my bike (with a banana seat) everywhere. My parents cleared the land and built their house with their hands. My grandmother (lived with us) made clothes on a Singer sewing machine with the foot pedals. She also knitted sweaters and mittens.

I think both processed foods & a sedentary lifestyle is our problem. We eat too much sodium, sugar and white bread, pasta . . .

message 38: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments I remember banana seats. :)

message 39: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments I don't have much luck with gardens. People joke about zucchini plants producing a million zuchinis. Not when I grow them! They all rot, if there are any in the first place. And three tomato plants don't even mAke enough tomatoes for me alone. A pepper plant...one pepper.

message 40: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments Well we set the alarm clock to get up for yoga in the morning. This will be the beginning of my new plan to exercise.

message 41: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 285 comments Alias Reader wrote: "I didn't find a single thing on their online menu that would fit a healthy sodium choice. Most meals should not exceed the calories by a great deal. (that would be 400 max for a meal if you follo..."

Most of Panera's sandwiches are large enough for two lunches so I'll bring the other half home.

message 42: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 285 comments Wow, you have a lot to cope with, Carol. Do you have siblings that could help with your parents?

message 43: by Carol (last edited Jan 05, 2013 08:11PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Julie wrote: "Well we set the alarm clock to get up for yoga in the morning. This will be the beginning of my new plan to exercise."

That sounds great! I found that if you use large containers and fill them with organic soil you never have to fertilize. They grow like crazy.

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Connie wrote: "Wow, you have a lot to cope with, Carol. Do you have siblings that could help with your parents?"

I have one brother who lives in Georgia. He finally came for Christmas so he got to see what my parents are going through. He keeps to himself.

message 45: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) | 17150 comments Julie wrote: "Well we set the alarm clock to get up for yoga in the morning. This will be the beginning of my new plan to exercise."

-------------

Excellent, Julie !

message 46: by Carol (last edited Jan 05, 2013 08:12PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Sorry -- that didn't come out as I thought it would.

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments Carol wrote: "That sounds great! I found that if you use large containers and fill them with organic soil you never have to fertilize. They grow like crazy...."

I have found that containers have to be watered ALOT. Practically every day in the heat of the summer. That's alot of responsibilty for me. :-) In fact, I suspect that uneven watering is a big part of my problem.

message 48: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments I'm an early riser in the summer so I water everything early in the day and most of my plants are on the south side of the house. If we are in a heat streak I'll water a little around 6pm. Herbs are very easy --especially rosemary it comes up every year. Also blueberry and strawberries are so easy, just have to keep them close to the house or a scarecrow so the birds won't eat them.

message 49: by Julie (last edited Jan 06, 2013 02:34PM) (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 1208 comments Birds eat strawberries? I did try those when we first moved in here and something kept biting them all before me. I thought maybe it was chipmunks. I have lots of bunny friends too so I have not even attempted lettuce. My mom actually gave up gardening because of animals, especially deer.

message 50: by Carol (last edited Jan 06, 2013 04:41PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 830 comments Usually Robins and Bluejays eat the berries. Nets are best and they must be above the fruit. They only go after it when it turns red. We have a lot of woods so we have had visitors such as foxes, once a bear, and lots of turkeys that stroll through. I take a lot of pictures.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13