Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories (Hercule Poirot, #21)
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Reads > CLOSED June 2013 - The Regatta Mystery & Other Stories

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4562 comments Mod
Originally published in 1939. Features Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple and Parker Pyne.

There's a body in a trunk; a dead girl's reflection is caught in a mirror; and one corpse is back from the grave, while another is envisioned in the recurring nightmare of a terrified eccentric. What's behind such ghastly misdeeds? Try money, revenge, passion, and pleasure. With multiple motives, multiple victims, and multiple suspects, it's going to take a multitude of talent to solve these clever crimes.

In this inviting collection, Agatha Christie enlists the services of her finest--Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and Parker Pyne--and puts them each to the test in the most challenging cases of their careers

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Here's the book for June 2013!

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments I'm in the middle of a long book right now, but this is next on my list to reread after that!

Karen I was not able to get the book for the month for several months. Long story. Finally one I do have on my shelf. I have so many I kept thinking I would have to have 1 soon.

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Me too, Karen, but I have no excuse. I have to see if I have this book on audiobook.

Anne Pichette | 16 comments I just finished reading this. I enjoyed the short stories very much. I noticed that some of the short stories that have been made into TV shows on PBS. I still enjoy reading the stories even if I have seen the TV version. There is always something in the story that is not includes in the show.

Karen Anne wrote: "I just finished reading this. I enjoyed the short stories very much. I noticed that some of the short stories that have been made into TV shows on PBS. I still enjoy reading the stories even if ..."

I would love to watch the tv shows of these.

Carol (mansonville) | 55 comments It's always exciting when new month arrives because it means a new Agatha Christie! Time to check in my library to see if I have it!

Carol (mansonville) | 55 comments Just started this one and enjoyed the first "title" story. Liked to see Mr Parker Pyne back in action, and liked the lively teenager. This first story reminded me of one we read a couple of months ago, when a man dies because of his special treasure, and there's a possibility of a teenager/young woman responsible, though we don't know for sure until the end.

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments I've read the first story so far (still working on that long book I mentioned). Although I enjoyed it, I did think that the solution was a little too pat and convenient - there was really no sleuthing involved, and no way for the reader to solve it.

This short story collection was only published in the United States. In the UK, the stories appeared in various other books.

It is interesting that, according to Wikipedia, the title story, that features Mr. Parker Pyne here, was originally written with Hercule Poirot instead.

Carol (mansonville) | 55 comments Denise wrote: "I've read the first story so far (still working on that long book I mentioned). Although I enjoyed it, I did think that the solution was a little too pat and convenient - there was really no sleut..."

That is interesting, because the two characters are quite different, with different specialties. You're right that there was no way to solve this one.

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments I finished reading the book a couple of nights ago. In general, I think that the short stories are not as good as the novels - it's necessary to wrap them up quickly, so the solutions tend to be a bit simplistic or there are not many clues for the reader. For a book that bills itself as featuring Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and Mr. Parker Pyne, it was much heavier on the Poirot. Only one Marple story, and that was just her relating a story about a case where she had solved it in her dining room, after being told the facts, so there was no action. Two Parker Pynes, five Poirots, and one of her supernatural stories ('In a Glass Darkly'). Being an American collection, it was clear that it was just a collection of miscellaneous stories gathered together, rather than being intentionally written as a collection. Don't get me wrong, though - I still enjoyed reading it!

Did any stories stand out for anyone? Of course, 'Yellow Iris' is very similar to the novel 'Remembered Death' (although I had written a note in the book that the ending is different). I think my favorite was 'The Dream'; I thought it was the most complex and well-developed one.

Karen This collection was just okay. Not near as good as a regular full length novel. I actually saw the dream on you tube. I liked this one better as TV. In a glass darkly reminded me of Hitchcock. I did guess what was to transpire. Many probably did, but I liked that one.

Madonna | 8 comments I liked most of the short stories in this book. I enjoyed the H. Poirot stories and liked the Miss Marple story. I'm unfamiliar with Pyne and I imagine that's why I liked his stories the least.

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments Well, Mr. Parker Pyne doesn't really solve mysteries; he helps people with their problems. Of course, in the title story he did solve the theft, but it was really in order to help his client, who was suspected of the crime. That's probably why the solution was so quick and no sleuthing involved; he just happened to know who it must have been.

Carol (mansonville) | 55 comments Denise wrote: "Well, Mr. Parker Pyne doesn't really solve mysteries; he helps people with their problems. Of course, in the title story he did solve the theft, but it was really in order to help his client, who ..."

Exactly my feeling. Parker Pyne is quite different from Poirot or Marple. He helps people and there isn't sleuthing involved. Different tale, different character, different method.

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (crossreactivity) I think my favorite of the collection is "How Does Your Garden Grow". It's a very characteristic Poirot mystery and it is his penchant for order that leads to the solution.

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments Kim, I agree that that is a good one, and very typical of Poirot!

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | 74 comments Denise wrote: "I finished reading the book a couple of nights ago. In general, I think that the short stories are not as good as the novels - it's necessary to wrap them up quickly, so the solutions tend to be a..."

I agree with you. I've noticed the same problem with other authors, such as Steven Saylor. His books of short stories are not very good, and even his shorter detective novels are a bit lacking. However, his longer detective novels are superb.

Some authors can sprint, some do middle distances, and some are best for marathons.

Renee | 447 comments This one I thought was just okay. I'm not familiar with Parker Pyne and I liked those stories the least I think. I did like the Yellow Iris story, but feel that the others could have been better. A Glass Darkly was good, but I had it figured out before the end.

Karen Victoria_Grossack wrote: "Denise wrote: "I finished reading the book a couple of nights ago. In general, I think that the short stories are not as good as the novels - it's necessary to wrap them up quickly, so the solutio..."

Yes.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.