Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Harold Lamb
This topic is about Harold Lamb
Authors, Books and Series > [Article] "Heroes Of The Steppes: The Historicals of Harold Lamb"

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Periklis, Fafhrd (last edited Dec 28, 2012 11:07AM) (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) | 427 comments Mod
As posted by Howard Andrew Jones:

"A while back Periklis was asking for more Harold Lamb information and I pointed him to the Lamb web site.

I just rediscovered an essay I wrote more than a year ago -- can't believe I forgot it. Anyway, it explains to the very best of my ability why Lamb is so good and why he should be read:

http://bryanthomasschmidt.net/sffwrtc...
"

Click on the link, to read the full article:

" Before Stormbringer keened in Elric’s hand, before the Gray Mouser prowled Lankhmar’s foggy streets—before even Conan trod jeweled thrones under his sandaled feet, Khlit the Cossack rode the steppe. He isn’t the earliest serial adventure character, but his adventures are among the earliest that can still be read for sheer pleasure. "

message 2: by K.V. (new)

K.V. Johansen | 19 comments Thanks for the link to the article! It was James Enge who brought Harold Lamb to my attention (by describing Blackdog as containing "Harold-Lamb-style adventure" which embarrassingly led me to say, "Who?") but I've since, unfortunately interrupted by other things, been reading Wolf of the Steppes. I recently picked it up again and though at first I had enjoyed it mostly for its historical interest, as the stories go on, I've been getting more and more caught up in them. I'm interested in the stories Lamb doesn't tell, too -- Alevna riding home alone across the steppes after Khlit bargains for her freedom from the Tartars, for instance. There's a lot of scope for imagination there. Since I'm nearly through Wolf, I just bought a couple more Lamb collections to add to the teetering stack of 'things to read' on my study floor. They're really growing on me. Thanks to Howard for getting all these back into print.

message 3: by Periklis, Fafhrd (last edited Jan 07, 2013 07:07AM) (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) | 427 comments Mod
K.V. wrote: "Thanks for the link to the article! It was James Enge who brought Harold Lamb to my attention (by describing Blackdog as containing "Harold-Lamb-style adventure" which embarrassingly led me to say,..."

Shamefully, I haven't read any Harold Lamb fiction but I'm about to read his "Red Hands" from Return of the Sword, for the January/ February AESoF: Sword & Sorcery Group Read.
Thanks are due to Howard Andrew Jones, not only for sharing the link above with the group, but mostly for editing all of the Harold Lamb Steppe collections, as well as Swords from the East, Swords from the West, Swords from the Desert and Swords from the Sea.

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 428 comments I'm very far behind in my Lamb reading. I've only read a couple. Need to get to more.