Five Minute Bible Story Series discussion

Bible stories > What about the stories we leave out

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 18 comments Mod
Are there Bible stories that we prefer to leave out? Ones that make us uncomfortable perhaps? Ones we'd rather our kids not see? Should we censor our Biblical reading (or theirs)?

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 5 comments No, but we should sanitize them. Don't talk about the folks outside the ark, desperately climbing to higher ground as the water slowly rises, slowly succumbing to a watery death even while holding their children high. Talk instead about petting zebras inside the ark.

message 3: by Emerald (new)

Emerald Barnes (emerald_barnes) | 2 comments I'm not sure about censoring, but I do know that reading Revelations makes me uncomfortable. That's scary stuff, even for Christians.

We didn't hear the gritty stories, such a lots of death, etc, until we were older. I don't want my four year old niece hearing about the stuff that might scare them, like the hand writing on the wall. :)

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 18 comments Mod
My sons actually liked the writing on the wall--it appealed to their love of Ghostbusters I suppose. But, being boys, they also asked all the "wrong" questions, like "What about the rest of the people?" in the flood.

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 18 comments Mod
In England our sons learned their Bible stories from the same teachers who taught them Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. Small wonder lots of their contemporaries stopped believing them as they grew older.

message 6: by Emerald (new)

Emerald Barnes (emerald_barnes) | 2 comments The writing on the wall gave me the creeps. Still does. lol I just cannot imagine seeing that!

But, you're right. It's no wonder that happened. It made them all seem like "fairy tales."

message 7: by Jean (new)

Jean (jeanatwritersmill) | 4 comments How about the story of Lot and his wife turned to a pillar of salt? Do we dare tell our children that Lot was willing to sell his daughters to rapists in order to save the rest of his family/tribe (mainly himself, no doubt.)

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 18 comments Mod
I imagine Lot running back after the cataclysm, finding the area covered in salt rock shapes, and drawing the obvious conclusion about his wife. Today we'd conclude she was killed by falling rocks and fire, but we have the advantage of many more years of science and history.

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 18 comments Mod
Lot's daughters is a scarier story of course, but we read it through modern eyes. The modern Western world is undoubtedly a pleasanter place, especially for women, but it's not perfect either. And what we read in translation of translation may have lost its original context--at least, that's how I see it. Was Lot so terrified of God's punishment if he failed to protect his visitors, convinced God's punishment would fall on his wife and children too perhaps, therefore choosing man's evil intent over God's wrath--after all, we know he didn't know God as well as Abraham did?

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 18 comments Mod
Or was Lot just a bad lot, spared simply because Abraham prayed for him? I kind of like that version since it offers hope and an incentive to pray.