YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Looking for Alaska
This topic is about Looking for Alaska
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Looking for Alaska by John Green >> Restarts July 6 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Greta (last edited Dec 28, 2012 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments This will be my first John Green book, and I'm excited for it!

Vicki, Jalyn, Alexa, Alice and I are going to read it :)

All are welcome to join!

message 2: by Novel (last edited Dec 29, 2012 12:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Novel (velsanchez1) | 2890 comments really? wow, I hope you enjoy this one Greta! I still think that TFIOS is his best work though.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've already read this one, but I'll be stalking your conversation on it.

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Sounds good, Stacia :)

Novel, I've had the book next to my bed for two months! I'm afraid of it!

Novel (velsanchez1) | 2890 comments Greta wrote: "Sounds good, Stacia :)

Novel, I've had the book next to my bed for two months! I'm afraid of it!"

LOL, that's okay. I understand that you hate to cry... I ugly cried on that one. Major tearjerker!

message 6: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa | 51 comments Novel wrote: "Greta wrote: "Sounds good, Stacia :)

LOL, that's okay. I understand that you hate to cry... I ugly cried on that one. Ma..."

I read the last chapter of tfios an hour ago, and I was sobbing for like half an hour after it LOL, I'm a wreck at the moment but I'm looking forward to see how this 1 turns out.

I have a question tho!! Which edition are we reading? I checked the goodreads page for the book and there are lots of different editions and all the paperback ones have either 221, 227 or 113 pages... So confused :P

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 2272 comments What was our start date Greta?

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments January 2nd

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Greta wrote: "This will be my first John Green book, and I'm excited for it!

Vicki, Jalyn, Alexa, Alice and I are going to read it :)

All are welcome to join!"

This is my first John Green book too! :)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Novel wrote: "Greta wrote: "Sounds good, Stacia :)

LOL, that's okay. I understand that you hate to cry... I ugly cried on that one. Ma..."

I didn't know this was a sad book >O Lol darn it. At least I have a few days to prepare myself.

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments I think it's not going to make us bawl the way TFIOS would.

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) | 121 comments Enjoy this guys! :)
I liked this.

message 13: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa | 51 comments I just found out I might not have the book in time for the buddy read, so I'll just catch up when I get it hopefully.

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) | 3093 comments I would love to join in :)

message 15: by Greta (last edited Dec 31, 2012 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Ok Alexa, I didn't know how to answer you on the edition thing because I really just thought there was one edition. Join when you can! Maybe the library has a copy?

Yay! Welcome Tayla!

I think we're all just going to read this at our own pace, so I guess everyone should be careful to hide spoilers :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to join and read this!

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Ok, welcome Lindsey :)

I'm actually going to be a day late getting started on this one, cause my library didn't have a copy :(

message 18: by Jalyn (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Alexis wrote: "I have a question tho!! Which edition are we reading? I checked the goodreads page for the book and there are lots of different editions and all the paperback ones have either 221, 227 or 113 pages... So confused :P..."

Mine has 221 pages. The cover of my copy looks like this: Looking for Alaska by John Green . It's a trade paperback. I don't know if that helps or not. They're probably all the same though. Did you know that you can add a copy of a book if your edition isn't on the goodreads website? It's possible that someone added it in wrong or included the interview and discussion questions in the back as pages for the book.

message 19: by Jalyn (last edited Jan 02, 2013 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Ok, I'm only 48 pages in so maybe this is explained later but...I don't understand why a school where students have to pay to attend and is taught by people with doctorate degrees is described as so run down.

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Lol! My kids and I all have colds right now, and I've been falling asleep early. Hopefully, will start today.

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Greta wrote: "Lol! My kids and I all have colds right now, and I've been falling asleep early. Hopefully, will start today."

Hope you guys feel better soon! Nobody in my family has gotten sick...yet. I'm sure it'll happen before the winter is over, though. Probably right around my kid's birthdays because that would be just my luck!

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) | 3093 comments I didn't realize the host was such a big book. Don't think I can fit this in

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Jalyn, I still plan on reading this...I just couldn't find this book available at any of my local libraries and I've been stubborn about buying it. I promise that I will buy it today and start reading!

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Greta wrote: "Jalyn, I still plan on reading this...I just couldn't find this book available at any of my local libraries and I've been stubborn about buying it. I promise that I will buy it today and start read..."

Lol that's fine. The only reason I bought it was because I found it at a close out store for $1.99 and I just couldn't pass that up :) Looks like it's just you and me then?

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments i just started and i really like it. I have a feeling this is going to be a rather existential, coming of age story. i have to check if this author is from the south. he seems to write like he is.
Vicki pm'd me saying she wanted to read it but was also having trouble getting hold of a copy.

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments I liked it a lot...until After. I flew through Before, but I've put it down for a little while.

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments (view spoiler)

message 28: by Jalyn (last edited Jan 06, 2013 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Greta wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

That was so funny! I laughed out loud when I read that :D

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments "I can rhyme while I run; I'm that slick." ROTFL

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments So,do you think it was a (view spoiler)

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments (view spoiler) What do you think?

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments I agree, but I think it was an impulsive decision, not a premeditated one.

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Do you think anything more would happened between her and Pudge?

message 34: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa | 51 comments I still haven't gotten my copy :(! I'll read it next month I think, I hope you guys are enjoying it :)!

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Greta, I agree about it being impulsive. (view spoiler)What do you think?

message 36: by Greta (last edited Jan 09, 2013 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments I actually think that it was unlikely that anything serious would have happened between them. I don't think Alaska was looking for the same type of relationship that Miles was. I got the impression she really liked being an enigma to the boys she flirted with.

Did you finish?

Jalyn (jalynnie) | 3847 comments Yep. I wrote my review this morning. (view spoiler)

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Kathryn wrote: "RESTART"

When are you starting?

message 39: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 337 comments I am on my way to go and get this book right now. I am excited to read it.

Greta can you put a start date of either today or tomorrow. I know Kathryn wanted to start as soon as possible and Jenny is joining us too. Thanks

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Jodi wrote: "I am on my way to go and get this book right now. I am excited to read it.

Greta can you put a start date of either today or tomorrow. I know Kathryn wanted to start as soon as possible and Jenny..."
sure :)

message 41: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 337 comments Thanks so much. I started reading while walking home from the book store. I can read and walk at the same time.

message 42: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 337 comments I am 90 pages in and really enjoying it so far. I found it interesting that Miles would choose to go to a boarding school. I didn't live on campus when I went to university, so I don't know what it's like to live in a dorm or on campus. I am not sure I would have liked sharing a room with someone. (view spoiler) I am going to read more later tonight. I hope you all are enjoying it who are reading it with me.

Abbie (abbietenchie) Hey! Thought I'd join in :) I'm currently 38% into the book and although Miles is awkward, I find him adorable. I don't think I like Alaska for Miles though, she's just too different for him. But I like Chip's character.

message 44: by Jodi (last edited Jul 06, 2013 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 337 comments Miles is adorable. Alaska isn't good for Miles, but that is probably why he likes her. It is always that way in books; the girl likes the guy she shouldn't like and he likes Alaska and he shouldn't. Even though I know she isn't good for him, I still want him with her. (view spoiler) I am just over half way through. When I started the book, I thought the before was going to be about before school started. Then when school started, I thought it was going to be before he Alaska. Now I am just going to start the After part and I am worried. I don't like what just happened and am worried about the second half of the book.

message 45: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 337 comments Well I am going to finish this pretty soon. (view spoiler) I am going to be sad to see this book end.

message 46: by Jenny (last edited Jul 06, 2013 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) I just finished reading the "Before" part. I think I know what's going to happen with the "After" and I'm scared to keep reading! I'm liking it so far, it actually reminds me a little of The Perks of Being A Wallflower, in just that the girl is trouble, and the boy is a geek who looks up to her and has a crush on her.

message 47: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 337 comments Jenny, I felt the same. I did not want to start the after part. I haven't read Wallflower yet but it is on my list. You know why is it always a hot girl and a geeky guy? When is it ever a geeky girl and a hot guy?

Jenny (juliababyjen) I guess maybe Bella and Edward, atleast to start with :)

message 49: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 337 comments Maybe....I wasn't sold on Edward though. Preferred Jacob. I guess Bella was awkward though. I'll give you that. It doesn't happen very often though.

message 50: by Jodi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 337 comments Jenny, how do you feel about Lara for Miles?

« previous 1