Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Regional & Other Challenges > Passage Through India

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Feb 20, 2017 06:44PM) (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Read a book set in each region (there are six main regions) or for a greater challenge, each state (there are 28 states) of India. Here are links with lists of the Indian regions and states:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

Here are some books set in each region to get you started (scroll to bottom of page):
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Here is a list of the regions and the largest city in each:

Central India (Lucknow)
East India (Calcutta)
North India (Delhi)
Northeast India (Gawahati)
South India (Bangalore)
West India (Mumbai)

The states with the capital and/or largest city:

Andhra Pradesh (Hyderabad)
Arunachal Pradesh (Itanagar)
Assam (Dispur, Guwahati)
Bihar (Patna)
Chhattisgarh (Raipur)
Goa (Panjim)
Gujarat (Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad)
Haryana (Chandigar, Faridabad)
Himachal Pradesh (Shimla)
Jammu and Kashmir (Srinagar, Jammu)
Jharkhand (Ranchi, Jamshedpur)
Karnataka (Bangalore)
Kerala (Thiruvananthapuram)
Madhya Pradesh (Bhopal, Indore)
Maharashtra (Mumbai, Bombay)
Manipur (Imphal)
Meghalaya (Shillong)
Mizoram (Aizawl)
Nagaland (Kohima, Dimapur)
Odisha (AKA Orissa) (Bhubaneswar)
Punjab (Chandigarh, Ludhiana)
Rajasthan (Jaipur)
Sikkim (Gangtok)
Tamil Nadu (Chennai)
Tripura (Agartala)
Uttar Pradesh (Lucknow, Agra)
Uttarakhand (Dehradun)
West Bengal (Kolkata, Calcutta)

There are also several union territories you may want to include:

Andaman Idlands / Nicobar Islands (Port Blair)
Chandigarh (parts of this are also in Haryana and Punjab)
Dadra and Nagar Haveli (Silvassa)
Daman and Diu (Daman)
Lakshadweep (Kavaratti)
National Capital Territory (Delhi)
Puducherry (Pondicherry)

message 2: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments I will be in but will start in january.
My intention is to read a book for all the 28 regions!

message 4: by Hock (new)

Hock Tjoa (hockgtjoa) Awesome!

message 5: by dely (last edited Nov 10, 2017 11:22AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments dely, far and wide through India

visited 17 states (48.5%)
Create your own visited map of India or Amsterdam travel guide for Android

States:
Andhra Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh
Assam
Bihar: India: A Wounded Civilization
Chhattisgarh
Delhi:
The Wildings by Nilanjana Roy
Delhi by Khushwant Singh
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
Goa: Around India in 80 Trains by Monisha Rajesh
Gujarat:
The Algebra Of Infinite Justice
Krsna: The Supreme Personality of Godhead, 2
Haryana: Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata
Himachal Pradesh: Nine Lives
Jammu e Kashmir: Kashmir Saivism - The Central Philosophy of Tantrism
Jharkhand
Karnataka:
India. Cinque racconti, sei reportage, tre fumetti
Waiting for the Mahatma by R.K. Narayan
Kerala: Idris : Keeper of the Light
Madhya Pradesh:
Five Past Midnight in Bhopal: The Epic Story of the World's Deadliest Industrial Disaster
Un'isola di mistero : seguito delle avventure di viaggio di Dalle caverne e dalle giungle dell'Indostan
Maharashtra: Sacred Games
Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity
Saturday Date by Ken Doyle
Manipur
Meghalaya
Mizoram
Nagaland
Orissa: eFiction India Vol. 1 Issue 07
Punjab: Train to Pakistan
Rajasthan: India Was One
Sikkim
Tamil Nadu:
Shilappadikaram
The Toss of a Lemon
Tripura
Uttar Pradesh:
Sea of Poppies
Krsna: The Supreme Personality of Godhead: v. 1
Uttarakhand
West Bengal:
Freedom at Midnight
The City of Joy
The Sleeping Dictionary
Sister of My Heart
The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice
The Lives of Others

India without a real setting:
Kamasutra
71 Golden Tales of Panchatantra
A Fine Balance
L'Induismo
Timeless wisdom from ancient India
The Dance of Siva: Essays on Indian Art and Culture

message 6: by dely (last edited Apr 21, 2013 06:51AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments 2) Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra

Maharashtra

3)Reading Freedom at Midnight by Larry Collins Freedom at Midnight I have crossed India far and wide, I was really everywhere but I choose to add West Bengal.

I edit the post above!

message 7: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments 4) India Was One by An Indian by An Indian.

Rajasthan

message 8: by dely (last edited Apr 28, 2013 04:52AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments 5) Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh

(Chandigarh) Punjab

message 9: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Somebody knows the difference between Chandigarh and Chhattisgarh? Because in the list of wikipedia there is only Chandigarh but in the list of the Indian regions where I do my map there are both, Chandigarh and Chhattisgarh.

message 10: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments 6) India A Wounded Civilization by V.S. Naipaul India: A Wounded Civilization by V.S. Naipaul

It is non fiction so there are a lot of Indian regions in the book.
I choose to add Bihar.

message 11: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 46 comments Chandigarh is the north-west state (Union Territory) of India while Chhattisgarh is an eastern state - Train To Pakistan is set in Punjab-Chandigarh (Punjab is an adjacent state)

message 12: by dely (last edited Apr 28, 2013 04:36AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments Lit Bug wrote: "Chandigarh is the north-west state (Union Territory) of India while Chhattisgarh is an eastern state - Train To Pakistan is set in Punjab-Chandigarh (Punjab is an adjacent state)"

So they are both Indian states. Strange, on wikipedia there is only Chhattisgarh in the list.
As soon as I will have some time I will change the list of my challenge.

Thanks a lot ;)

message 13: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 46 comments Chandigarh is not a state. It is Union Territory. Search for Chandigarh on Wikipedia and it will explain its status. I only mentioned it to highlight that they were different regions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandigarh. This will remove all your doubts, and will also be helpful to you in choosing further books.

message 14: by dely (last edited Apr 28, 2013 05:29AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments Lit Bug wrote: "Chandigarh is not a state. It is Union Territory. Search for Chandigarh on Wikipedia and it will explain its status. I only mentioned it to highlight that they were different regions. http://en.wik..."

I have changed again the list, I'll keep the one of wikipedia; and what the map list belongs (http://douweosinga.com/projects/visit...) I have added both Punjab and Chandigarh for Train to Pakistan.

Thanks again!

message 15: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 46 comments Glad to help! Can you tell me how to incorporate these maps in our posts?

message 16: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Lit Bug wrote: "Glad to help! Can you tell me how to incorporate these maps in our posts?"

You must go on the site I have added in my previous message (http://douweosinga.com/projects/visit...), then you click on the states that interest you and then you must copy/paste the html code on the bottom of the page (there is written "Put this map on your website/blog by pasting the following html code:").

It is very easy. The only problem is that every time you must check the states because the site doesn't remember them.

message 17: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 46 comments Thanks! I think I'll skip doing that. Mentioning the states in text seems okay for me. :)

message 18: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments 7) Kamasutra by Mallanaga Vātsyāyana Kamasutra by Mallanaga Vātsyāyana

It hasn't a real setting, what should I do?

message 19: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "The best way to know more about Indian states is to see an interactive map of India here"

Nice! Thanks ;)

message 20: by dely (last edited May 30, 2013 10:32AM) (new)

message 21: by dely (last edited Jul 22, 2013 04:22AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments 9) eFiction India Vol. 1 Issue 07 by Nikhil Sharda eFiction India Vol. 1 Issue 07

It is a collection of short stories and poems all set in India.
I choose Orissa (Odisha).

message 22: by dely (last edited Sep 04, 2013 04:55AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments 10) Favole indiane by Vishnu Sharma 71 Golden Tales of Panchatantra by Vishnu Sharma

It is surely the most famous collection of Indian fables.
It hasn't a real setting (there is the name of a town but I couldn't find it on the internet).
I dont' know which state to add for my challenge, like with the Kamasutra.

message 23: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments 11) India. Cinque racconti, sei reportage, tre fumetti by Gioia Guerzoni India. Cinque racconti, sei reportage, tre fumetti by Gioia Guerzoni

It is set in a lot of places, I choose Karnataka.

message 24: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "@dely - You seem to read a lot of books on India. Great!"

Yes, it has a very interesting history and an engaging culture. India is very interesting, so contradictory: deep spirituality but also corruption, an economy that advances but also slums and so on. It is really engaging.
Yesterday I have bought two other books: The City of Joy and a collection of articles written by Arundhati Roy about India.

message 25: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "Yup. One makes the mistake of trying to understand India, when one should immerse in it. It's just they way you'd feel if someone tried to understand Italy, rather than to live it."

Another problem, in my opinion, is the Western opinion. People think that in India everybody makes yoga, everybody has a spiritual life, everybody follows the teachings of Ghandiji, above all ahimsa, and everybody is "love&peace". They don't see the negative aspects and to know and understand a country we should see everything, good and bad aspects. From this side India is very complex and so, in my opinion, very engaging. India is full of everything, she is so rich and deep also in her contradictory aspects.

message 26: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments 12) Guerra è pace by Arundhati Roy The Algebra Of Infinite Justice by Arundhati Roy

Gujarat

Argh! The site of the map doesn't work anymore! Someone has another site where I can upload my map?

message 27: by dely (new)

message 28: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments 14 Un perfetto equilibrio by Rohinton Mistry A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

It is set in India but the reader never knows the name of the villages or cities.

message 29: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Emily wrote: "wow! what a great list!"

Thanks ;)

message 30: by dely (last edited Mar 25, 2014 01:10PM) (new)

message 31: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 57 comments A small collection of books on my shelf by authors from India calls me and I think this challenge will be fun.

I will begin by combining regions, states and cities, as I become more familiar with Indian geography, and my reading more extensive, I will separate these categories.

message 32: by dely (last edited Feb 09, 2014 02:14AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments 2) Jaya An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata by Devdutt Pattanaik Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata by Devdutt Pattanaik

It hasn't a real setting.

edit: it has a setting, Haryana

message 33: by dely (last edited Feb 08, 2014 12:56AM) (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "How do you mean?"

About the setting? Well, it is set in India but I don't know if these places now have changed name. There is Kurukshetra, a lot of kingdoms ecc. Do you know where they exactly are? This could help me to add a real setting. I don't know very well Indian geography so I don't know where all the places of the Mahabharata could be, if they really exist or if they have changed their name.

message 34: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "I've not read the book. However, from what little I know, yes, the names have changed. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about it. However, I'll ask my daughter."

Thank you. This could help me for my challenge.
Now I'm curious so I will do some research on the internet. I was roughly sure these places didn't exist since the story is mythology.

message 35: by Daisy (last edited Feb 08, 2014 04:15AM) (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 57 comments dely wrote: "An wrote: "I've not read the book. However, from what little I know . . . "

I've been following your discussion with interest and have added this book to my list. For a short time now I've wanted to read the Mahabharata because I've been seeing performances which are based on excerpts of this work.

message 36: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Daisy wrote: "dely wrote: "An wrote: "I've not read the book. However, from what little I know . . . "

I've been following your discussion with interest and have added this book to my list. For a short time now..."

It could be useful to read first this book and than the whole Mahabharata. This could be considered a very good introduction and explanation to the Mahabharata so you can get familiar with all the names and the genealogical tree. There are the most important stories of the Mahabharata but not everything is explained deeply. Consider that in the past I have read three volumes only about the Bhagavad Gita (a small but fundamental part of the Mahabharata) because it has such a deep meaning that isn't easy to grab.

message 37: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 57 comments Dely wrote: "It could be useful to read first this book and than the whole Mahabharata."

This is really good advice. I had not realized that the Bhagavad Gita was part of the Mahabharata. I've switched my reading list to reflect Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata which looks great. Thank you!

message 38: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 57 comments An wrote: "A new TV serial on Mahabharata."

They have this some of these episodes online with English subtitles! I heard that when a televised version of the Marayana (I'd also like to read) was broadcast it was enormously popular.

What you write also jogs my memory, for some reason, of Emperor Ashoka and his edicts. When I first heard about him I thought what he did was beautiful.

In fact, I think I'll read a biography about him and/or that historical period in India . . .

message 39: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 57 comments Sorry, yes Ramayana. :)

message 40: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Daisy wrote: "Dely wrote: "It could be useful to read first this book and than the whole Mahabharata."

This is really good advice. I had not realized that the Bhagavad Gita was part of the Mahabharata. I've swi..."

Bhagavad Gita is also famous with the name The Song of God. It is the most important part of the Mahabharata because there is all the teaching from Krishna to Arjuna. In this way he is also talking with us because in life we have often the same fears as Arjuna. Everything is symbolic so don't think I'm saying that like Arjuna we must kill relatives.

@An, are there some episodes with English subtitles or in English?

I have watched the movie by Peter Brook (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maha...) and it was really great. He was able to put all the most important things in one movie (though it lasts six hours).

message 41: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "I am not too sure but I think so. Sorry, can'thrlp you much."

It doesn't matter. Will look for it as soon as I will have some time ;)

message 42: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "Daisy did mention earlier that there are some episodes online with English subtitles. Maybe she can post some links here."

Thanks, I missed it :D
Daisy, can you post the link to the episodes you were talking about?

message 43: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Kurushetra really exists, it is in Haryana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurukshe...

I have updated my challenge adding Haryana.

message 44: by Daisy (last edited Feb 09, 2014 03:50PM) (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 57 comments Dely wrote: "Everything is symbolic."

This version (Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata) has good reviews and as you suggest will be better for a first read. The Peter Brook movie will be interesting to see after reading the book.

There are a bunch of books waiting for to be read for my Passage Through India to which I am also looking forward. I've started Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahari by and I recently got a copy of Malgudi Days by R.K. Narayan and I also have another of his works also.

Dely, you are well on your way! And, making great progress. I notice you have assigned the state of Haryana to Jaya.

message 45: by Daisy (last edited Feb 09, 2014 04:28PM) (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 57 comments Dely wrote: "Daisy, can you post the link to the episodes you were talking about?"

Sadly no, the episodes I found claim to have English subtitles but, unfortunately, this didn't turn out to be the case. Disappointment.

Another author whose works I would like to read is M. Mukundan. He looks to be a noted and reputed author locally, nationally and elsewhere.

message 46: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (bellisperennis) | 57 comments An wrote: "made into a very famous movie in India."

The Guide looks like a wonderful book. I've added this work to my list. I did not know this about Laxman.

message 47: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments 3) The Wildings (The Wildings, #1) by Nilanjana Roy The Wildings by Nilanjana Roy

Delhi
It isn't a real state but, like wikipedia says, a National Capital Territory of India.
In which state is it or is it a state by his own?

message 48: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments Thanks! But did I the right thing to add it to my challenge?

message 49: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "What is your challenge?"

To visit India through books. Usually I add the states but seen that Delhi is a territory outside the other states I however added it.

message 50: by dely (new)

dely | 368 comments An wrote: "Yes, you are absolutely right."

Fine, thanks :D

« previous 1 3