Scholarship of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints discussion

Suggested books to add to the shelf?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris (cmkirkland) | 3 comments Mod
Please add them here.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone, My name is John Pallett. I'm from England and I just finished writing a book about my experiences with the Holy Ghost. I live in Las Vegas currently and while teaching seminary there I felt I needed to get my ideas and experiences with the Holy Ghost on paper...mainly because I don't think we understand the nuts and bolts of the Holy Ghost or how much of an influence He is in our lives. I hope the book helps anyone looking for some answers. Check out my new book: Entitled: It Wasn't in the Wind; My Journey with the Holy Ghost

message 3: by Josh (new)

Josh (joshinglibrarian) | 2 comments Just saw this and there isn't much recent activity in this group. If my comments annoy, let me know and I'll find another group.

I've recently loved reading Symbols in Stone: Symbolism on the Early Temples of the Restoration. The text of the book is excellent, but I've gained much more from the wealth of end notes after each chapter. I highly recommend this book to add to your LDS scholar shelf.

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh (joshinglibrarian) | 2 comments David wrote: "New to the group here, but I just finished Matt Bowman's The Mormon People and that seems like a fabulous place to start any number of book lists on Mormonism. The bibliography at the end is superb..."

I've heard good things about the bibliography in that book as well. I wish I could have heard him speak about his book when he came to our library a couple of years back.

message 5: by Gerrit (new)

Gerrit (gvandyk1) | 1 comments Givens' By the Hand of Mormon, Millet's edited No Weapon Shall Prosper; both of these, I think, would be good additions to your already very nice list. You might also consider Brooks' The Mountain Meadows Massacre and Allen's The Story of the Latter-day Saints. Allen has perhaps the best overview of Church History around--at least the most accessible to a wide readership. Brooks' book documents a dark hour in our history but she writes very objectively and presents the events more as a tragedy of circumstances rather than an indictment.

message 6: by Chris (new)

I've read that one too, and it has been added. Thanks for the suggestion!

Josh wrote: "Just saw this and there isn't much recent activity in this group. If my comments annoy, let me know and I'll find another group.

I've recently loved reading [book:Symbols in Stone: Symbolism on th..."

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 7 comments Chris wrote: "I've read that one too, and it has been added. Thanks for the suggestion!

Josh wrote: "Just saw this and there isn't much recent activity in this group. If my comments annoy, let me know and I'll ..."

Nice group we have here, please continue to be here, its a pleasure to be here!

message 8: by Benton (new)

Benton Bramwell | 2 comments Greetings,

I am an LDS author who has just written a book of poetry about the ministry of the Savior, Poems of the Master Poems of the Master (Poetry by Benton Bramwell Book 1) by Benton Bramwell .

I would be grateful for the group's thoughts and reactions to this work, from those who may have interest.

Best Regards,

Benton Bramwell

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 7 comments Benton wrote: "Greetings,

I am an LDS author who has just written a book of poetry about the ministry of the Savior, Poems of the MasterPoems of the Master (Poetry by Benton Bramwell Book 1) by Benton Bramwell.

I would be grate..."

I think that is a nice book, thanks for sharing!

message 10: by Benton (new)

Benton Bramwell | 2 comments thank you, kindly!

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 7 comments Benton wrote: "thank you, kindly!"

You're welcome!

message 13: by Chris (new)

Added. Thanks!

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 7 comments Heaven by Randy Alcorn

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 2 comments Chris wrote: "Please add them here."
I recommend Book of Mormon Ecology, by R. Kent Crookston, former dean of Life Sciences at BYU. It's an amazing tour of the Book of Mormon through the eyes of a biologist. Well researched. It changed the way I picture events and locations in the book!

message 16: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) | 0 comments Rebecca wrote: "Chris wrote: "Please add them here."
I recommend Book of Mormon Ecology, by R. Kent Crookston, former dean of Life Sciences at BYU. It's an amazing tour of the Book of Mormon through the eyes of a ..."

Book of Mormon Ecology: What the text reveals about the land and lives of the record keepers sounds good.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 2 comments :)