Sacramento Public Library discussion

General > Introduce yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sacramento Public Library (saclib) | 370 comments Mod
Let's get to know one another! What do you like to read and what's your library branch?

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (ars_legendi) | 75 comments Mod
I read pretty widely, but my genres of choice are fantasy, science-fiction, science-nonfiction, and comics. I'm most likely to be found at North Highlands-Antelope and Arcade branches, being that I'm the resident teen/adult librarian at both. =)

message 3: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
I read many, many things! Mystery, romance, fantasy and science fiction are my favorite genres. I also adore travel literature and read a variety of non-fiction books. If it looks interesting, I will read it. My library branch is the Pocket-Greenhaven Library.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Couillard-Smith I read mostly children's and teen books (for my job), but I love good adult narrative nonfiction and Victorian mysteries. I use/work at Central.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (lakoivu) | 1 comments I'm completely addicted to foreign murder mysteries and cookbooks, and I think I currently have almost all the works of Tove Jansson checked out. I'm at Central :)

message 6: by Lilja (new)

Lilja (brjaladabina) | 2 comments I love mysteries, Victorian and forensic types mostly but in general, any mystery will do really :) YA and fantasy are my other go-to generes. This year I have made myself the promise to try and read more classic literature, but we shall see if I can hold to that.

message 7: by Jenno (new)

Jenno (jennoharmo) | 2 comments I read a lot of things, partly because of the book group at my branch, but my favorite is mysteries! I especially love detective/crime stories. My library is Fair Oaks!

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie | 4 comments I read a variety of genres. I would have to say my favorites are historical fiction and sci-fi/fantasy. My closest libraries are Rancho Cordova and Arden Dimick.

message 9: by Becca (new)

Becca (feedingbex) | 7 comments I love to read a variety of genres. My favorites are mystery, suspense, romance, and autobiographies. My closest library is the Pocket-Greenhaven Library.

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave (cloudmonkey) | 4 comments I especially like science fiction/fantasy/horror but also read a good bit of historical fiction and mystery/suspense--a little bit of everything really. Besides adult books, I read a good bit of YA and children's fiction. On the nonfiction side, I especially like stuff that relates to science and technology. I'm the technology assistant at Robbie Waters Pocket-Greenhave Library

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I like reading YA with adult mixed in.I like also a good fantasy & sci fi. I am mood reader when it comes to books. I hang out at sylvan :)

message 12: by John (new)

John | 105 comments I'm a library technician at McKinley but have been around SPL for over 29 years. I began reading sci-fi and fantasy in my teens and have been reading it ever since, plus the occasional mystery. A few years ago the werewolf genre got its fangs and claws into me so I've been plowing through a lot of mainstream paranormal fic as well.

message 13: by Dave (new)

Dave (cloudmonkey) | 4 comments John wrote: "I'm a library technician at McKinley but have been around SPL for over 29 years. I began reading sci-fi and fantasy in my teens and have been reading it ever since, plus the occasional mystery. A f..."

I've been listening to an audio book called The Last Werewolf. It's well written and a bit of a different take on the werewolf genre.

message 14: by John (new)

John | 105 comments Dave wrote: "John wrote: "I'm a library technician at McKinley but have been around SPL for over 29 years. I began reading sci-fi and fantasy in my teens and have been reading it ever since, plus the occasional..."

It's one of the best werewolf novels I've read and I recommend its sequel, "Talulla Rising", as well. It's one of the titles I'm considering for an upcoming meeting of McKinley's fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal book club. Thanks!

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 9 comments I'm about to graduate from Sacramento State and I will read just about anything if I know enough of the language to be able to read it. I read both adult and YA. I also like to learn languages, and the library has been very useful for that as well. I love fantasy, and this is the genre I tend to write in. I have been using the library since I started kindergarten, and I am usually there at least once a week. My home library is Arcade, and the next closest in Charmical and Arden Dimick. I also spend a fair amount of time at Central for their events, particularly Notable Book Club and other book centered events.

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige (sssspaige) | 2 comments I love everything! but I'm a big fan of YA, historical fiction and (auto)biographies. right now I'm working my way through Game of Thrones! and I don't have a specific library branch, I borrow ebooks on my nook constantly :)

message 17: by Chip (new)

Chip | 89 comments Hi - I'm retired now. My last job was working as an on-call Library Services Assistant at Sacramento Public Library. I grew up in a household of readers, and my wife and daughter are readers, too. I was a freelance writer for several years, with a book and over 100 magazine articles published. I love books!

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Chan | 2 comments I love historical fiction, human psychology, tear jerker romance, teen fiction and apparently some erotica!

message 19: by Sanoj (new)

Sanoj Jose (joseasanoj) | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm Sanoj Jose, 34,i love paranormal books, I've authored the book "My Day Out With An Angel". My Day Out With An Angel by Sanoj Jose

message 20: by Laura-marie (new)

Laura-marie (robotmad) Hi, I'm Laura-Marie. I visit multiple libraries depending on where I find myself. Today I was at Carmichael. My closest library is McKinley. I volunteer as a literacy tutor at Colonial Heights.

My favorite things to read lately are graphic memoirs, poetry, and gardening / urban homesteading books.

message 21: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 3 comments I like reading about how to improve my health and mystery books. The branch I visit is Elk Grove.

message 22: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 1 comments Hi, I'm Jasmine! I read mostly YA, and Fiction Books.

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments My name is Ashley and I read mostly fiction books. I am huge on fantasy and science fictions. I like reading Young Adult and Adult books. My closest Library is Elk Grove, where I take my son at least once a week.

message 24: by Mousumi (new)

Mousumi Chattaraj | 1 comments I like to read fiction and cookbooks. I am in Rancho Cordova library.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (katielady_librarian) | 62 comments Mod
I like to read just about anything. I just finished "Ender's Game" which was fantastic! I like either YA fiction, mysteries, or best sellers. I work at CEN :)

message 26: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 2 comments I love books of all genres. I've been an avid reader since an early age. The library I frequent is the Valley Hi library.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments I read a wide variety of genres. I would have to say my favorites are historical fantasy fiction(alternate histories) and sci-fi/fantasy. I read alot of YA and middle school books because of my 9-year old daughter. My closest libraries are Rancho Cordova and Arden Dimick.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everybody, my library is the Rancho Cordova. I read mostly teen fiction, because of the simple fact that I am a teen...but I read a wide range of genres in teen fiction...most include Romance, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Dystopian, and Apocalyptic. This past summer I have been trying to get into the classics, so if anyone has any great reads, do tell. :)

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 20 comments Mod
Hi Tanya - these aren't classics, but if you like dystopic and apocalyptic settings the Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey(not Young Adult) and Life as We Knew It (Young Adult) by Susan Pfeffer are very good reads. I'm a big fan of that genre too!

message 30: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (hangakugozen) I love historical fiction: I'm eagerly awaiting the next volume of Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell trilogy. I also like mysteries, especially by Scandinavian authors like Jo Nesbo, Arnaldur Indridason, and Karin Fossum. More recently I've been reading a fair amount of philosophy and spiritual writing, such as Rebecca Goldstein's "Betraying Spinoza: The Renegade Jew Who Gave Us Modernity" and Alan Watts' discussions on Zen Buddhism and Taoism. Some of that might reflect my recent interest in tai chi; I also find, however, that the more uncertain and troubled contemporary life has become, the more I want to look into myself for answers. Oh, my local library branch is Belle Cooledge. I am a member of its Friends affiliate as well!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (mrsclift) | 11 comments My favorite books are ones with fantastic characters and plots: books that make me care. Whether it's an adult thriller, YA speculative, MG literary, or witty picture book...my taste runs toward the well-written and isn't fenced into certain genres. I also love great nonfiction with new ideas.

I'm a YA/MG writer trying to make my way down the yellow brick road of traditional publishing. My library is Franklin, and I also visit Elk Grove (and worked as a shelver in high school there before it moved down the street).

message 32: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Keenan | 45 comments Eleanor wrote: "I love historical fiction: I'm eagerly awaiting the next volume of Hilary Mantel's Thomas Cromwell trilogy. I also like mysteries, especially by Scandinavian authors like Jo Nesbo, Arnaldur Indrida..."
Hi! and welcome to our cozy little corner! I tried reading the Mantel series but I couldn't stay awake. However, I just finished reading "The Boleyn King" and loved it. It was fast moving and the author kept the authencity of the time period and the characters while writing an alternate history. I can't wait for the next two books! August is going to be a busy month!

message 33: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Keenan | 45 comments Tanya wrote: "Hello everybody, my library is the Rancho Cordova. I read mostly teen fiction, because of the simple fact that I am a teen...but I read a wide range of genres in teen fiction...most include Romance..."
The classics can take a little getting used to--but I did love "Little Women" and "Gone With the Wind." I enjoyed reading Jane Austen and of course the original Dracula by Bram Stoker.

message 34: by Maya (new)

Maya S | 1 comments I'm Maya, and I belong to the North Natomas Public Library. I love reading romance and action, but I'll devour any piece of literature in sight!

message 35: by R (new)

R (saltwatercowgirl) | 1 comments Hi all! I'm Rachel, and I most often visit the Orangevale branch. I read anything from teen fiction to romance and fantasy to historical fiction. My favorite is "Pride and Prejudice" and I am currently reading "Little Women".

message 36: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1 comments Hi! I'm Dr. Donna and I visit several libraries - Carmichael, Arden, and Marconi, and occasionally Rio Linda or Del Paso if I'm in the area. I'm reading Michael Gerber business books right now.

message 37: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 10 comments Hi! I'm Sarenna and mostly visit the Orangevale Library. I read a variety of genres in pretty much any media (I'm currently hooked on audio books because I can read and commute to work).

Right now, I'm reading a lot of non fiction, but am looking forward to rereading the Thursday Next series (Jasper Fforde is one of my favorite authors).

message 38: by Carolyn F. (last edited Feb 27, 2014 01:05PM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 57 comments Hi, I'm Carolyn and I go to the Carmichael library. I read everything - cozy mysteries, sci-fi, romance, erotic, paranormal, young adult, horror, mysteries, thrillers, chick lit, classics, biographies, autobiographies, contemporary fiction, general fiction, period pieces, humor, historical fiction, non-fiction, self-help, some inspirational. The only two categories I don't really read much are poetry and military books - although I have read some but they're not my favorite categories.

message 39: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 57 comments I forgot to add fantasy, urban fantasy, dystopian/apocalyptic and zombie stuff too. I really do read pretty much everything.

message 40: by Steven (last edited Feb 28, 2014 02:20AM) (new)

Steven | 57 comments I have always been an avid reader. Before the invention of the internet I would read all the books in a branch library that interested me then move onto another branch. As a teenager that meant hours of walking or taking the bus, heck to me it was just more time that I could read. I love all genres except for a few. My main interests are sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian/apocalyptic, alternate history, westerns, cookbooks, history (especially food and cultural history), and anything that features an animal as the protagonist. Black Beauty was the first novel I read almost 50 years ago when I was 8 or 9. I also like some detective and mystery books as long as they are not too bloody. I especially like humorous versions any of the above genres. I have always averaged about a book a week, even when I worked 60+ hours a week. Now that I am in forced retirement due to a disability I read 3-4 a week. I have never watched much TV, in fact for a period of about 5 years I didn't own one. I have been involved with computers since the early 70's so I also enjoy books on electronics and computers (software, hardware, operating systems, etc...)

message 41: by M. (new)

M. Matheson (mmatheson) | 3 comments Ever since I could, I have been an avid reader, so that means 50+ years. Early it was fiction, mostly childhood detective type novels, but also Black Beauty and Hans Brinker stuff like that, the realClassics. I was such a nerd that by 9 I was reading historical and political stuff about Europe and Russia. I read Berlitz language books to attempt to learn German and Russian. My Teens I was into Lord of the Rings and read all of Tolkien's books several times, a repetitive habit I kept up to this day.

As an adult I read a variety ranging from Christian Mystics and Puritans of the 1700-1900 and some even earlier. I went through a phase of reading classic Victorian fiction such as Frankenstein and more obscure narrative fiction. In the 1900's C. S. Lewis A. W. Tozer and so many others. Other real passions are historical fiction particularly Napoleonic Era Royal Navy ie Patrick O'Brian and L. A. Meyer's Bloody Jack Series. I also really enjoy most Stephen King and consider him a Genus storyteller. I've read tons of Dystopian lit Hunger Games and others like it, Cormac McCarthy is a big favorite. I've even read some Percy Jackson series and others to have something to talk about with my grandkids who are avid readers also.

I also read biographies of my favorite significant politicians and rock stars such as Allman Brothers Band and Bono.

I usually read three books at a time and have an audio book going in the car.

My overriding passion besides my faith in Christ is an almost addictive passion for story, the idea of it, the telling and mechanics of and history of...

I also write a lot of short stories and have never had writers block, finding I can write a story on anything from the most mundane to the oddest proposition.

message 42: by M. (new)

M. Matheson (mmatheson) | 3 comments Favorite Branch is online E Books mostly but I also hold cards from San Francisco and Orange Counties. I use McKinley Branch Sacramento

message 43: by Serena (new)

Serena | 1 comments I'm Serena. A voracious reader, lots of fiction, essay collections, memoirs are some of my favorites. Psychology is a passion. The library is an essential place for me, I go to Central Library weekly, sometimes McKinley, Arcade, or McClatchy.

message 44: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 57 comments Mike wrote: "Favorite Branch is online E Books mostly but I also hold cards from San Francisco and Orange Counties. I use McKinley Branch Sacramento"

I'd love to join those other branches too because I'd be able to obtain their e-books also, but from what I can see you have to go down there to sign up. :(

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1 comments Hi, some of my favorite genres are Historical Biblical Fiction, Autobiography, Travel Memoirs and Mystery.
I love to read stories that transport me to another time and place.
Rancho Cordova is my library. I love that I can order a book from any library in the system and pick up/return it to my local branch!

message 46: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "Hi! I don't live in the sacramento area but decided to join the group because of interesting book selections by the members. My name is Mary and Im from Pittsburgh. My tastes are eclectic and I l..."

Welcome to the group Mary! No need to live in Sacramento to participate here on Goodreads. We're delighted you have joined and look forward to hearing your voice in discussions.

message 47: by Angie (last edited May 21, 2014 09:45AM) (new)

Angie (superbrarian) | 22 comments Mary- I totally agree! I love how active this group is and I'm currently in TX.

message 48: by Apryl (new)

Apryl (aprylflynn) | 3 comments I joined this group after researching online book clubs for a library association magazine called American Libraries. I'm a librarian in western PA (Grove City, about an hour northwest of Pittsburgh). I love to read, but am busy with a new job so I'm slowing down my reading.

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments wow! how awesome that people from outside Sacramento are interested in our group!

message 50: by David (last edited Dec 18, 2014 10:36AM) (new)

David Henson | 57 comments Mod
I read almost entirely Urban Fantasy/Fantasy books, Urban Fantasy a genre that I defiantly feel is under appreciated. I try to diversify from time to time, and I think that taking on many of our reading challenges will defiantly help me to do that! I use and work at the Central library downtown.

« previous 1