The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Dystopian Novels

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gaby I love Dystopian Novels!! Yet I can't find any really really good ones, can anyone recommend me any please. I already read Divergent and The Giver by the way. Thank you all so much :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Another really good one is Uglies by Scott Westerfield :)

Gaby Nikki wrote: "Another really good one is Uglies by Scott Westerfield :)"

I've heard of that one yes!! I heard it's really good! Thanks so much :D!!

Sierra The Matched series by Allie Condie, The Delerium series by Lauren Oliver, and the Chemical Garden series by Lauren DeStefano are all pretty good, but I guess it just depends on the person reading.

Gaby Sierra wrote: "The Matched series by Allie Condie, The Delerium series by Lauren Oliver, and the Chemical Garden series by Lauren DeStefano are all pretty good, but I guess it just depends on the person reading."

Thank you so much :D!! I'll totally check those out!

message 6: by Sandra (last edited Dec 28, 2012 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra If you read Uglies, you might like Pretties by Westerfield too ;)

Brave new World by Huxley
Clockwork Orange by Burgess
V for Vendetta by Moore
Divided Kingdoms by Thomson
Devergent by Roth

To name a few classics and great works :)
or just check this list for YA Dystopian:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/12...

Gaby Avalon wrote: "If you read Uglies, you might like Pretties by Westerfield too ;)

V for Vendetta by Moore
Devergent by Roth

To na..."

Thank you so much :D!!!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrysanthemum wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Another really good one is Uglies by Scott Westerfield :)"

I've heard of that one yes!! I heard it's really good! Thanks so much :D!!"

No problem :) Hope you enjoy!

Gabby The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer - There's a movie coming out of this one, so I think it's worth it.

The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass - Only other dystopia i have read :)

notyourfriend I'v heard of maze runner by: james Dshner but i have not read it...

Stepheny The Long Walk by Richard Bachman, aka Stephen King. One of my all time favorites!

Stepheny Oh and The Castle by Franz Kafka....again, one of my favorites. :)

Stepheny ok, last time I swear...If you read the Long Walk by SK and then you read the Running Man also by Richard Bachman(SK) you will soon see that the Hunger Games is kind of a mixture of the two- my opinion, don't need anyone taking offense to that LOL Those two are both great and I did like the Hunger Games as well, but couldn't help thinking about these two books while reading THG. I hope you enjoy!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The Host was really good and so is Divergent and The Maze Runner. But my favorites would be Ashes by Ilsa J Bick and Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.

message 15: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Stepheny wrote: "ok, last time I swear...If you read the Long Walk by SK and then you read the Running Man also by Richard Bachman(SK) you will soon see that the Hunger Games is kind of a mixture of the two- my opi..."

Thanks so much :D!!

message 16: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Gabby wrote: "The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer- There's a movie coming out of this one, so I think it's worth it.

The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass- Only other dystopia i have read :)"

Thanks!! :)

Emily If you're willing to step outside YA for a bit, 1984 is pretty much the quintessential dystopian novel, and it's amazing.

message 18: by Jeni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeni I just read the Uglies last night. I really liked it and I will be getting the sequels. It was fun and quick to read. A very interesting take on society of the future.

Charlene The Maze Runner(series) by James Dashner is an excellent dystopia theme. There are three more books in the series--Scorch Trials, Death Cure and Kill Order. Highly recommended!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Dystopian Sci-Fi/Alt History
Hunger Games
Methuselah's Children
Dragonflight
Ender's Game
Maze Runner
Unwind
Alas, Babylon
The Host
We Can Dream it for You

Dystopian Fantasy
Golden Compass
Eragon
Lord of the Rings
Sword of Shannara
Demon King
Eon

I could name a bunch more, but this is for now...

((Savanha)) I just finished reading Dark Inside and it was very good.

Erica Battle Royale.

Nichola Avalon wrote: "If you read Uglies, you might like Pretties by Westerfield too ;)

V for Vendetta by Moore
Devergent by Roth

To na..."

I'm not sure I would put Clockwork Orange in the same list as The Hunger Games, Divergent and Pretties. The book is much darker and much much more violent than any of them. It does have a cult following but I would advise caution if you're not already familiar with the books reputation.

Gabby Chrysanthemum wrote: "Gabby wrote: "The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer- There's a movie coming out of this one, so I think it's worth it.

The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass- Only other dystopia i have read :)"

Thanks!! :)"

that's okay, I'll add more when I have read more...but at the moment: this is it :)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Blood red road
Divergent
Delirium
Unwind
Maze runner
Wither
Legend

message 26: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Testa blood red road is a dystopia book?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Nichola wrote: "Avalon wrote: "If you read Uglies, you might like Pretties by Westerfield too ;)

V for Vendetta by Moore
Devergent..."

* Divergent

Hey Nichola!!
What do you think of THIS?!?

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▄
░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█
...█░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█
█░▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▄▒█
░█░▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░░█
░░█░░░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█
░░░█░░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░█▀██████░█
░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█
░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█
░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀

Kassandra nice pic!

Claudia the Night Owl LEGEND - Marie Lu
Blood Red Road - Moira Young

message 30: by Jer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jer The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness.

Charlene Unwind by Neal Shusterman has a sequel, Unholy. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld also has series--Pretties, Specials and Extras. All great!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Gaby wrote: "blood red road is a dystopia book?"

its more of post-apocalypse. because of uncertain cause,beautiful land became desert, technologies are gone so people came back to the world where they still riding horse.

message 33: by Mark (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mark 1984 by George Orwell, like Emily said, a must-read for anyone interested in dystopian literature.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, offers a very different view of what dystopian society could look like than most other dystopian novels.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding, maybe not a typical dystopian novel, but it gives an interesting look at what could happen to a society without rules

Jayden Catherine the Ninja Squirrel wrote: "Nichola wrote: "Avalon wrote: "If you read Uglies, you might like Pretties by Westerfield too ;)

V for Vendetta by Moore
Divided Kingdoms by T..."

whats this???

Stevie Riddley Walker is my favourite dystopian novel (although like A Clockwork Orange the invented future 'english' makes it difficult to get into, but it pays off when you do)
also Lanark is damned wonderful. Just that.
Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set I recently read and loved. See what it's like living in a world where the Evil Lord Won, and has ruled for a 1,000 years.
The Gormenghast Novels I'd also count as dystopic

message 36: by Tess (last edited Feb 09, 2013 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tess The Maze Runner by James Dashner is a good one. The other books in the series are The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure, and the prequel, The Kill Order.

In my opinion this trilogy went down hill.
Book 1: amazing
Book 2: really good
Book 3: okay
Prequel: okay

message 37: by Gabby (last edited Feb 09, 2013 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gabby Just read The Hunt (The Hunt, #1) by Andrew Fukuda , so (If you've been reading my previous comments) I have officially read 3 dystopian series...Oh, wait...i've read a total of 6 dystopian book!! That's awesome!!

The Hunt, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay, The Host, The Selection

Life Saver 27 Chrysanthemum wrote: "I love Dystopian Novels!! Yet I can't find any really really good ones, can anyone recommend me any please. I already read Divergent and The Giver by the way. Thank you all so much :)"

Okay If you love romance, the book MATCHED is for you :) its by Ally Condie! And i loved it, so just check that out :)Its an epic dystopian romance novel :)

Emily Candor by Pam Bachorz, Legend by Marie Lu, and Article 5 by Kristen Simmons are some of my favorites.

Perenelle Its not really YA but you could try the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix, the Always War by her, Prodigy, sequel to Legend by Marie Lu, HG if you didnt :S, the Host for sure, The Selection and Elite by Kiera Cass, Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, The Maze Runner by James Dashner, Divergent and Insurgent, Ashfall by Mike Mullin, but it's not really dystopian...., THE IMMORTAL RULES by Julie Kagawa (amazing read!) Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Emily Omg reading Prodigy right now!!! And yeah, Shatter Me is amazing

message 42: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Elliott Unwind series by Neal Shusterman is incredible, definitely read that
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld is pretty good, although the first book is better than the sequels.
The Maze Runner by James Dashner is really good
Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman is amazing, if you haven't read that then you must!
Noble Conflict by the same author is also pretty good.
Blood Ties and Blood Ransom by Sophie McKenzie kind of comes under the science fiction/dystopia type books.
Split Second and it's sequel Every Second Counts by the same author are also good.
The Pure trilogy by Julianna Baggott is really good too.
Breathe and it's sequel Resist by Sarah Crossan are pretty good too.

Shiah The Fallen World trilogy by Megan Crewe is probably one of the best trilogies I've ever read. The first one is The Way We Fall.

The Replica trilogy by Jenna Black is really cool. The first one is Replica

The Matched trilogy by Allie Condie. It's interesting enough, not something I'm absolutely crazy about but it's good.