Douglas County Libraries RA Group discussion

How & Why Folks Read

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments Did everybody see the 12/20 Pew Internet Project report about Americans' reading habits? (If not, take a look: http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2012...)

There are some fascinating stats there. 2/3 of people go to friends & family for book suggestions, versus only 20% who ask librarians. The numbers are even more tilted for e-books: 77% vs. 12%. I bet we can do better here at DCL!

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 47 comments Mod
So . . . I need to become more patrons friend? How do we make that happen on the OPAC?

message 3: by Lainie (new)

Lainie | 21 comments If we're able to get the ability to "follow" people on VuFind (I think Laurie mentioned this at the meeting), that is something of a step in the social media direction. You would be able to invite patrons that you're working with in the library to follow you on VuFind. Maybe we could also help people discover staff members who would be willing to post reviews and lists regularly by featuring them in some way.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments I've been really mulling on this the last few weeks. Seems to me that we need to take a multi-faceted approach. As Amy suggests, it might be tricky to become part of our patrons' friends/families. But, on the other hand, isn't that what "embedded" librarianship is about? Should we be trying to be where DCL's readers are? Like book clubs? Book stores? Author events? And in the virtual world,too - VuFind? Oh, brave new world!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 47 comments Mod
So . . . I'm mad at Goodreads because of the Amazon thing.

What does this have to do with anything? Well, I used to recommend books to friends using Goodreads, and because I'm mad at them I have been using our email this page feature instead. I don't love it, but it makes me think about ways we can "goodreads" Vufind. What would this look like? Is it feasible for us to try to jump into this game? Goodreads gets a great pulse on what people are reading and how . . .

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments Oooh, great minds think alike! I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to mention this to Monique; I know she'll first ask us what GoodReads does that we can't do now in VuFind. Any ideas, RA dynamos?

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 47 comments Mod
I would say that A. We only allow people access to books that we own and Goodreads has access to most of the stuff published through its partnerships with Amazon and (I think) Baker and Taylor. Do we want to do that?

Mostly, though, I think this is a question of format, isn't it? Goodreads looks like a social networking site where the focus of socializing is the books, and our website is a library website that allows for people to review, etc. but the socializing isn't a focus at all.

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments I think that a DCL-created resource should focus on DCL's collection. I say that even knowing that some of the books on my own Goodreads list are no longer in our collection. But it just doesn't seem fair to me to rave about a book that will difficult for our patrons to find.

My booklover hat and my DCL hat look a lot alike, but I guess I need to wear the latter when I'm on the clock...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Laurie wrote: "I think that a DCL-created resource should focus on DCL's collection. I say that even knowing that some of the books on my own Goodreads list are no longer in our collection. But it just doesn't se..."

Laurie,
I agree with you. We should not reccomend a book that is not currently in the collection or in the case of Book Lovers will soon be added to the collection.

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 22 comments Is anyone besides me following the ALA listserv discussion that's going on today through tomorrow on the topic, "Navigating the RA High-Wire Act: Practicing RA When You Don't Read Widely"? It's on the "codes-convos" list, at http://lists.ala.org/sympa; will be archived at : http://lists.ala.org/sympa/arc/codes-...

The conversation is fascinating so far - we all seem to struggle with keeping up!

message 11: by Dedra (new)

Dedra | 13 comments Laurie wrote: "Is anyone besides me following the ALA listserv discussion that's going on today through tomorrow on the topic, "Navigating the RA High-Wire Act: Practicing RA When You Don't Read Widely"? It's on ..."

I've been following it too when I can. It's interesting. I was surprised that there were people who actually thought they shouldn't suggest a book to a patron if they hadn't read it. Or at least they almost felt guilty about doing it.