The Sword and Laser discussion

So, I Got a Nook HD for Christmas, and...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I'd like to try something new on it. I've never read a graphic novel or been able to read an enhanced ebook. Anybody got any recommendations?

message 2: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments For comics/graphic novels, I would suggest checking out Neil Gaiman's excellent Sandman series. The first volume is called Preludes and Nocturnes.

I would also suggest checking out Grant Morrison's All Star Superman (or pretty much anything else he's written).

message 3: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments For the recent club read of The Hobbit, I went with the Enhanced ebook version for the Nook. It wasn't bad, but the tech issues of the enhancement made me a little cautious regarding getting more enahanced ebooks. Having three recordings of Tolkien singing/reading sections of the book would have been nicer if I could have followed along with the recordings. But turning the page would pause the playback.

Granted, my experience was wit a Nook Tablet. Perhaps they've fixed this issue with the newer models.

message 4: by Aildiin (new)

Aildiin | 148 comments If Comixology is available on the Nook ( I have no clue) , get the app and purchase whatever graphic novel you want to read through them.
Their app is light-years of anything else on the market for reading comics on smaller screen devices ( and the way they store your purchases by collections is much better than anything else too).

message 5: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 146 comments send the nook back and get a Kindle :) j/k

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Thurman wrote: "send the nook back and get a Kindle :) j/k"

If I hadn't had a 1st edition Nook for so long, I probably would have asked for a Kindle. Shopping on Amazon is so much easier. B&N really needs to get their crap together.

I actually kind of wish that I had gotten the Nook Simple Touch Glow though. I'm having a lot of fun with the HD, but it's not really that great for reading. My 2-1/2 year old Nook with e-ink is way easier to read on. The LED screen is kind of distracting. Also, I'm spending so much time watching Netflix and YouTube and not as much time reading.

I do love having Netflix on it. The image quality is outstanding. I did have to get earphones for it though because the sound is awful.

Overall, I give the device a thumbs up, but not for reading.