The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Do you think that Gale should have taken Peeta's place??

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lilys Templeman I think he should because he is supposed to be "Katniss's best friend." maybe he is not as brave as he pretends to be...... who agrees??

Jeni Who would make sure Prim ate or was cared for if Gale had taken Peeta's place? Their mother is certainly incapable.

I think there is a good reason people are shocked when Katniss volunteers--nobody volunteers except the careers.

Stephen Plus it's generally a one winner contest. He'd be pulling a Sydney Carton. He might even be requiring Katniss to kill him, no?

message 4: by Eml (last edited Jan 11, 2013 03:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml If Gale had volunteered (ignoring the stuff about Prim and her mom), there wouldn't have been a revolution. It would have probably ended up the two of them, and they would try to kill each other in the end. Their survival skills would have taken over. Plus, Gale had his own family to take care of. Peeta=3 books; Gale=1 book

Chris Ward He wasn't allowed to volunteer because only family members can. At least that's what it says at the beginning of Catching Fire. And anyway, why would he volunteer in place of a guy he hardly knows?

message 6: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml Chris wrote: "He wasn't allowed to volunteer because only family members can. At least that's what it says at the beginning of Catching Fire. And anyway, why would he volunteer in place of a guy he hardly knows?"

It never says they have to be family. Katniss says it's rare for even family members to volunteer for each other.

message 7: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml Katrin (kitkatkathy!) wrote: "Eml wrote: "If Gale had volunteered (ignoring the stuff about Prim and her mom), there wouldn't have been a revolution. It would have probably ended up the two of them, and they would try to kill e..."

I definately think they would have tried to kill each other if it was the two of them. Chances are, they would have teamed up, taken out the competition and when it was only them they'd have gone after each other. Peeta was the one who changed Katniss and made her think that the games could be fought against. Katniss and Gale are too much alike, they both try to survive above all else.

Kayci Morgan Eml wrote: "Katrin (kitkatkathy!) wrote: "Eml wrote: "If Gale had volunteered (ignoring the stuff about Prim and her mom), there wouldn't have been a revolution. It would have probably ended up the two of them..."

I agree. This is the guy that came up with a plan like harming the innocent then killing the enemy as they ran over to help. He's not the type of guy to just stand there and say "shoot me" like Peeta did.

And it's way harder to kill someone that is just standing there willing to let you do it, than someone who is fighting back.

Jayden Eva wrote: "yes it would have been awesome to see Gale in the Hunger Games, but Gale had to look after Prim and his own siblings. He watched Katniss kiss another boy and still looked after her sister. Also he ..."

Yes, I agree

Jayden then who would take care of prim?