UK Book Club discussion

Favourite Bookshelf > Favourite Books of 2012?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3424 comments Mod
I can't remember if Ian has already asked this question..... As the year draws to a close it seems like a good time to think back over our favourite reads of 2012. What were yours?

message 2: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Dec 29, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments My favorites this year were again in no particular order

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim Butcher The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy #1) by Jacqueline Carey Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1) by China Miéville

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø Higgy by Alistair Hignell The Peculiar Memories Of Thomas Penman by Bruce Robinson Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Edelman Bedelman Schutter Spion) by David Cornwell Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson Sorry meant to press for covers!!

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Among my favourites: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4) by Michael J. Sullivan Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3) by Robin Hobb Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3) by Mira Grant

message 7: by Em (last edited Dec 31, 2012 07:55AM) (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments My faves for the year were:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry Bring Up the Bodies (Wolf Hall, #2) by Hilary Mantel Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

The Bell Jar and Written on the Body were both re-reads but firm favourites.

On the lighter side, I'm also continuing to enjoy the Stephanie Plum novels, reading:

Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) by Janet Evanovich High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5) by Janet Evanovich Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6) by Janet Evanovich

and the J R Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood series, reading:

Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

To be mean for a moment, total dud imo Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James

message 8: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3424 comments Mod
Dave wrote: "My favorites this year were again in no particular order

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonCold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim ButcherThe Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King[bookco..."

I've been meaning to read [book:The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay|3985] for a while, sounds like I'll have to move it closer to the top of my to read pile...

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments Its really good Liz, everyone I know who's read it has loved it.

It'll be interesting to see what a non-comic reader thinks of it, as I'm not sure how much I enjoyed the story because of knowing some of the history it was set in.

message 10: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Dec 29, 2012 01:25AM) (new)

Liz | 3424 comments Mod
Dave wrote: "Its really good Liz, everyone I know who's read it has loved it.

It'll be interesting to see what a non-comic reader thinks of it, as I'm not sure how much I enjoyed the story because of knowing ..."

Yes, I'm a non-comic reader in general, although I do like to read beyond my usual genres....

message 11: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
I've had 9 5 star reads in 2012:

Dominion by C.J. Sansom The Yacoubian Building by علاء الأسواني A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Sabra Zoo by Mischa Hiller No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy All the Pretty Horses (The Border Trilogy, #1) by Cormac McCarthy Phantom by Jo Nesbø In the Country of Men by Hisham Matar

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 389 comments Wow Ian, you like Cormac McCarthy westerns

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments My top ten for 2012 were - The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver , The Coroner's Lunch (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #1) by Colin Cotterill , H M S Ulysses by Alistair MacLean , The Spy Who Came In From The Cold (George Smiley, #3) by John le Carré , The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies , Chocolate Wars The 150-Year Rivalry Between the World's Greatest Chocolate Makers by Deborah Cadbury , Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld , Summer of '42 by Herman Raucher , A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin and The Dark Vineyard A Novel of the French Countryside by Martin Walker . I had a lot of fun this past year, nicely varied in my selections.

message 14: by Dusterstar (last edited Dec 29, 2012 08:59PM) (new)

Dusterstar | 7 comments my favorite reads in 2012 include 2666 and The Savage Detectivesand The Museum of Innocence andShameand Soldados de Salamina

message 15: by Louise (new)

Louise quite a few four star books for me, a lot of bryant and may stories, and patrick gale.

standing out would be The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey and Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks .

message 16: by Mazz (new)

Mazz Nixon | 6 comments I found Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer really good!

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 389 comments Louise wrote: "quite a few four star books for me, a lot of bryant and may stories, and patrick gale.

standing out would be The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey and [bookcover:Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend|13538..."

I too loved the Snow Child, not read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, but since I love your other choices, I think I'll have a look!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Taylor | 9 comments I think mine has to be Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson

message 19: by Nikks (last edited Dec 30, 2012 11:12PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments It was a good reading year for me, and I have quite a few that I really enjoyed :
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Red Dog by Louis de Bernières The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga The Secret Fiend (The Boy Sherlock Holmes, #4) by Shane Peacock Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
Without question Cloud Atlas was the best.

message 20: by Nikks (last edited Dec 30, 2012 11:13PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Dusterstar wrote: "my favorite reads in 2012 include 2666 and The Savage Detectivesand The Museum of Innocence andShameand Soldados de Salamina"

I read Shame by Salman Rushdie years ago and it has stayed with me, it was a great read.

message 21: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Bill wrote: "My top ten for 2012 were - The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, The Coroner's Lunch (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #1) by Colin Cotterill, H M S Ulysses by Alistair MacLean, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold (George Smiley, #3) by John le Carré, [..."

Bill - such a lot of variety in your list. I have [bookcover:The Spy Who Came In from the Cold|19494] on my bookshelf, staring at me ..... might have to give it a go.

message 22: by Nikks (last edited Dec 30, 2012 11:18PM) (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Ian wrote: "I've had 9 5 star reads in 2012:

Dominion by C.J. SansomThe Yacoubian Building by علاء الأسوانيA Long Long Way by Sebastian BarryHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieSabra Zoo by Mischa Hiller

Wow Ian, so many 5* reads. I LOVED Half of a Yellow Sun. I dont think I will ever forget it.

message 23: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Ian, not being nearly as grumpy as usual with the 9 five star books!!

I thought I was the easiest 'judge' (sorry, watched a lot if reality, talent shows lately) I mean 'reviewer'.

Or maybe it's fantastically good taste?

message 24: by Rula (new)

Rula (rsweby) my top five books that i have read for 2012 are:

1. The Decision by Penny Vincenzi
2. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
3. Bridget Jones's Diary
4. The Shadow of the Wind
5. The Star of Kazan

message 25: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) Looking back over what I've read this year there have been some great books so it's hard to wittle it down to 'favourites', but if I had to narrow it down to I'd say these are the ones I'll be recommending to other people...

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Rules of Civility by Amor Towles The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall Little Princes One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan The Psychopath Test A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise My favourite books this year:
War with the Newts by Karel Čapek We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen A History of the World in 100 Objects by Neil MacGregor The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

And the whole of the Percy Jackson series

message 27: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
@ Nikks & Em - even I was surprised at me awarding 9 * 5 star ratings in 2012, but that's out of 100 books in the year & I gave 9 out of 75 last year, so it felt like less to me....or maybe I'm just mellowing in good company....or maybe as Em says, I just have fantastically good taste, or maybe not lol.

message 28: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I had 8 5 star reads of 75 books this year!

The majority of others are 4 or 3 stars - I just enjoy reading so can find something to admire in most of what I read but it's got to be special to get a 5!

message 29: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments Nikks wrote: "Bill wrote: "My top ten for 2012 were - The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, The Coroner's Lunch (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #1) by Colin Cotterill, H M S Ulysses by Alistair MacLean, [bookcover:The Spy Who Came In From The Col..."

Le Carre's early books are worth a read, Nikks. Happy New Year!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments For me it has to be The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern which I am dying to read again!

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenmm) | 122 comments I had 4 five star books this year and my top read of the year was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

message 32: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Things have to be really, really special for me to give them a 5*. I think I've given about 20 5's out of almost 400 books read - I must be a tough judge ! lol

Jennifer - I got The Book Thief for Christmas - looking forward to it.

message 33: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments I've had 14 out of 84 5 star books this year. A lot by Hobb.

message 34: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments What were they Helen ?

message 35: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments I had six rated 5 stars out of 80 books read.

message 36: by Louise (new)

Louise I looked at my stats after reading this thread...
141 books this year

32 four star reviews, and only one five star review.
it was for When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman .

funny I didnt even remember that very fondly.

message 37: by Helen (last edited Jan 01, 2013 03:30AM) (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Nikks, there are more Hobb, another Sullivan The Magician King (The Magicians, #2) by Lev Grossman , can't remember off top of my head.

message 38: by Helen (last edited Jan 01, 2013 03:39AM) (new)

Helen | 4238 comments The Magician King The Dragon Reborn The Lions of al-Rassan The Hero of Ages. Others mentioned above, another Sullivan, one I can't recall and more Hobb - did all her 11 books from the Elderling series, 2 to go.
Getting fed up of my Fire correcting my spelling when it isn't wrong.

message 39: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments 15 out of the 60 books I read were 5 stars, must have been feeling very generous this year.

Now finding that my to-buy list is ever increasing as I see what other people have been reading.

message 40: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Your turn to get them listed! My other one is Legend by David Gemmell.

message 41: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments Helen wrote: "Your turn to get them listed! My other one is Legend by David Gemmell."

Already listed mine (so neh :p)

The only others to add would be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee It's Not What You Think by Chris Evans Under the Dome by Stephen King Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2) by Ben Aaronovitch Whispers Underground (Peter Grant, #3) by Ben Aaronovitch

message 42: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments I didn't like the China Mieville book I read, The Scar

message 43: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3424 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "@ Nikks & Em - even I was surprised at me awarding 9 * 5 star ratings in 2012, but that's out of 100 books in the year & I gave 9 out of 75 last year, so it felt like less to me....or maybe I'm jus..."

I only had one true 5 Star novel (We Need to Talk About Kevin). The other 8 favourites were solid 4.5's, except Goodreads doesn't do halves, so they ended up being 4's.

I'm very sparing with my 5's...... ok, I'm stingy! (plus I only read 47 books this year, so statistically speaking, I should have a smaller 'hit' rate)..... Ok, I'm still stingy!!!

message 45: by Andy (new)

Andy Bird | 223 comments Liz wrote: "Ok, my favourites this year were (in no particular order):
We Need to Talk About Kevin, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Cutting for Stone, Affinity, The Night Circus, T..."

This is a great set of books Liz.

message 46: by Andy (new)

Andy Bird | 223 comments I am also very stingy with the 5's, i only had one last year (i wish Goodreads did halves!).

My favourites last year were:
The Gone-Away World  by Nick Harkaway Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Ship Who Sang (Brainship, #1) by Anne McCaffrey The Player of Games (Culture, #2) by Iain M. Banks Eleven by Mark Watson

message 47: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Susan wrote: "I read lots of great books in 2012, but these were particularly good....

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry
The Invisible Br..."

I second Bring Up the Bodies, Black Swan Green and A Long, Long Way - all brilliant! I should probably make a point of reading the others on your list Susan, clearly we have similar taste!

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan I hope you find time to read them Em....I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed .

message 49: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments Helen wrote: "I didn't like the China Mieville book I read, The Scar"

He did take me a while to get into as its all very strange - but the quality of the writing kept drawing me back. He's a bit Neil Gaimany I think.

message 50: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (robertclear) | 29 comments One of the best books I read in 2012 was the one I kicked off the year with: Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray. I also enjoyed Orlando by Virginia Woolf.

« previous 1