Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Fyodor Dostoevsky
This topic is about Fyodor Dostoevsky
Language & Translation Issues > Fyodor DostoyIevsky is Russian, is he not?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (mwelser) | 193 comments Somebody is consistently deleting the entry for Фёдор Михáйлович Достоéвский

see http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... (broken link, again)

Is there any reason why? Policy? Ignorance?

Is there a way to find out who does so, maybe without bad intentions?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments I would suggest ignorance as GR Policy allows for multiple profiles in different languages

I have put this librarian notes on all versions of Omar Khayyam's profile and various others because of the same problem.

I would suggest you add something similar if you are going to re create the russian profile - maybe in English and Russian

DO NOT Merge profiles it is acceptable to have multiple profiles in different languages

The roman version of the name should remain in primary author position as per GR Policy

Author merges are not tracked in the librarians log so no easy way to track. This is a relatively common problem the notes do help

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Can someone take the stress marks off the version of his name put in the English profile? Not at home this week so can't fix in Russian. Stress marks are for foreign learners who need to know where to stress the word, and are not part of the name in Russian... :)

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mwelser) | 193 comments Thanks for the hint, Paula.

I just discovered that also "roman" authors tend to disappear (no trace of merging there - what with???). I had to "re-invent" James Blish's wife, J.A. Lawrence. The original link in his bio pointed nowhere...

message 5: by Lacrima_Atra (new)

Lacrima_Atra | 98 comments I found a correct Russian profile (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...), added the recommended librarian note and took the stress marks off the name in the English profile.

The problem is: It seems to be impossible to link the Russian name. Even in this post, I wasn't able to add the Russian name via the add author link. Likewise, I don't get any results when I enter the full Russian name in the search field, but do get a result when I enter only his last name (which unfortunately doesn't work with the add author link).
So the name on the English profile is corrected, but the link is broken.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 233 comments Lacrima_Atra wrote: I don't get any results when I enter the full Russian name in the search field, but do get a result when I enter only his last name (which unfortunately doesn't work with the add author link).
So the name on the English profile is corrected, but the link is broken.

I think it's now fixed. The link you had made was to an author name rather than to the Goodreads page on which the author's books were listed.

message 7: by Lacrima_Atra (last edited Dec 28, 2012 10:26AM) (new)

Lacrima_Atra | 98 comments Thanks. I didn't think of simply adding a link and naming it with the Russian spelling. I'll keep this in mind for authors with a different script.