What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Time of Predators
This topic is about A Time of Predators
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Old crime novel [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (last edited Jan 08, 2015 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria | 7 comments I've read this book in about 1987 in translation, the original edition might have been older. I think it takes place in the sixties and definitely in the US but I'm not sure where, California maybe?
A group of bored kids beat up a man because they think he is gay and later gang-rape the woman who was the only witness. The beaten man lost his eyesight and the woman suicides. The police can't find the boys.

One of the boys was Latino, called Julio. The gangleader was Rick and he had a girlfriend called Debbie maybe. When they raped the woman they used Debbie as kind of a sentry, but she didn't know what they were doing, Rick told her some nonsense that this older woman flirted with him and he wanted to talkt to her, to make her stop, but didn't want her husband the prof to know. So Debbie sat in a nearby phone booth to alert them if the husband came home. Later they hurt her too when she started suspecting them.
Actually they wouldn't have been caught if they hadn't used Debbie because the professor saw her and eventually managed to track her down.

The violence was initiated by Rick and Julio, there was a fat kid who just tagged along.

The dead woman's husband is a college professor, out of shape and a bit fat but he was Special Ops in the army, (in WWII??)and now he starts training again first just to overcome grief but then he starts to investigate, because he wants justice (or vengeance.
During his investigation he falls in love again with a single mother whose son delivered newspapers and maybe saw something that day. The woman is a nurse I think.

Themes are leniency with juvenile delinquents and if it is right to take the law into your own hands.

The professor kills at least two of the kids but later he is regrets it, feels that this kind of violence was wrong and also the police officer who investigated in his wife's case and was really supportive, is disgusted with him although he can't prove that he had done it. The same with a training buddie who at first helped with his investigation but wanted no part in vigilante justice.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37777 comments Mod
Maria, are you still looking for this book?

Do you remember what country it took place in?

Maria | 7 comments Yes, I'm still looking for it.
The US I think. One of the boys was Latino, called Julio. The gangleader was Rick and he had a girlfriend called Debbie maybe. They hurt her too when she started to realize what they had done. I remember all sorts of details except for the title and author.:(
It might be a well-known author because I read it in a literary magazine in weekly installments (in translation)and they were usually quite selective about what they published.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

Maria | 7 comments Yeah. Nobody seems to have heard of it.:( Should I give it up and delete the thread?

message 6: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments No, you haven't hardly had the thread for a month :) Sometimes people join and id books that others have been hunting for years.

Bump it every 30-60 days or so, so a fresh batch of eyes get to see it. People come and go all the time in big groups like this, someone, somewhere, probably knows what your book is.

You might consider editing your topic though - Put a few details, and maybe a year estimate (old can mean very different things, some people think a 2 year old book is "old" for others, it ain't old until it's passed a century).

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Maria wrote: "Yeah. Nobody seems to have heard of it.:( Should I give it up and delete the thread?"

No! Never delete your posts.

Maria | 7 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Maria wrote: "Yeah. Nobody seems to have heard of it.:( Should I give it up and delete the thread?"

No! Never delete your posts."

Ok. Thanks:)

Maria | 7 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "No, you haven't hardly had the thread for a month :) Sometimes people join and id books that others have been hunting for years.

Bump it every 30-60 days or so, so a fresh batch of eyes get to se..."

Actually I posted it in 2012 but I'll give editing a try.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments I solved one that was well over 2 years old once. Perhaps someone else will do the same for you.
I thought maybe this might be by John Wainwright or his pseudonym Jack Ripley but they're such old books and there's no description on most of them here.

message 11: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) | 86 comments I think I found it! Time of Predators by Gores?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Maria--don't pay attention to the date that is shown on the book that pops up on Mindy's link. Her book was published in 1972, so could very well be yours.

And, even if it isn't--we recently found a book that was entered in 2009, and I just had one of my own found after 18 months (but I'd been coming in regularly and bumping it.) So, just keep bumping it up if this isn't it.

message 13: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) | 86 comments I'm almost positive this is the book.

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
I agree Mindy--it really does look like you've solved this one. Now to wait with bated breathe (and crossed toes) for Maria to come back and let us all know if that is IT . And then to start watching the local thrift stores and used bookstores. It did look interesting, and I've added it to my "wish" list.

Maria | 7 comments Yes!! That's it. Thank you:)

message 16: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) | 86 comments Yippee!