SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Series Reads > 2013 Series Read: J.R. Ward's "Black Dagger Brotherhood"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Dec 28, 2012 05:11AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood
Voted as our 2013 series read

Members are welcome to read as few or as many as you'd like. The series read will run from 1 Jan - 31 Dec 2013. You may list and track your books here, use the group challenge, or both. It's up to you.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the books as you read. I ask that you use spoiler tags to avoid spoiling something for someone who hasn't yet read the book.

The author's website offers deleted scenes and additional information on the books and series.

Series Order:
1: Dark Lover
2: Lover Eternal
3: Lover Awakened
4: Lover Revealed
5: Lover Unbound
6: Lover Enshrined
6.5: Father Mine: Zsadist and Bella's Story and/or The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide
7: Lover Avenged
8: Lover Mine
9: Lover Unleashed
10: Lover Reborn
11: Lover At Last ~ 26 March 2013

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Father Mine Zsadist and Bella's Story (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6.5) by J.R. Ward The Black Dagger Brotherhood An Insider's Guide by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) by J.R. Ward Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward

message 2: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie | 164 comments I'm in.

Will post as I go.

Heather ~ Marceline | 994 comments I am in, excited to re-read the series to get ready for Lover At Last!

message 4: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments I've been saying for a couple years I really need to get back into this series, so I'm definitely in. Is it a sign that RRRC chose J.R. Ward as the Buddy Read author of the year? LOL.

I'll be starting with a reread of Dark Lover.

message 5: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments I've been saying the same thing, Daffodil. I have all the books except the last one and have only read four of them. I'll start with a reread of Dark Lover.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 242 comments I'm in. I haven't read any of these so it's my first time.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 37 comments I've not read this series yet so what a great opportunity!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 1192 comments I will try and read this series. I am going to reread from the start

message 9: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Daffodil wrote: "I've been saying for a couple years I really need to get back into this series, so I'm definitely in. Is it a sign that RRRC chose J.R. Ward as the Buddy Read author of the year? LOL.

I'll be sta..."

It was funny, I was only thinking the same thing today, Daffodil. And both of us did polls to determine the series :)

Mind you I didn't vote for BDB on either group. LOL.

message 10: by Isha (new)

Isha I'm in! Haven't read any of them yet.

message 11: by Josie (last edited Jan 03, 2013 07:33AM) (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I'm using the tracker for this challenge though I'm not rereading all of them instead I'm just going to carry on from where I'm at:

The Black Dagger Brotherhood An Insider's Guide by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) by J.R. Ward Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward

message 12: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1224 comments I have read all the books and would like to re-read them. I will use the tracker.

message 13: by Caedy (new)

Caedy  Eries (karida) | 10 comments I am just starting this series, and it made me sad that Darius had to die. I liked him damn it (in the short time you know him). However, definitely loving Dark Lover so far.

message 14: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 29 comments Im going to read one a month continuing with Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward this month!

message 15: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments Welcome, everyone! I didn't realize both groups had chosen the series - what a coincidence. ;)

I cannot decide if I want to re-read or not. For now, I'm only planning on starting where I left off, which is only Lover Reborn and Lover At Last, when it comes out. Some of the bits ('shitkickers' and lessers) are only tolerable (for me) in small doses. LOL! If I finish Lover Reborn with a lot of time to spare, I may re-read my favorites.

Speaking of favorites, I'm curious ~ For those who have read most/all of the books out, which are your favorites? If you have the time or desire, let us know why they made the list. :D

message 16: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I think I prefer some of the earlier ones though I also didn't like the lesser parts much so that kind of took away some of the enjoyment. BDB is not really my fave series anymore but I did remember loving Dark Lover (minus the lesser parts) so maybe that would be the best for me.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) This series has been on my radar for awhile now. I don't yet know if I'm going to commit to reading it this year but I'm definitely considering it, thanks to this challenge. I am actually wondering something slightly off-topic:

How do you set up a Group/Featured Challenge to show up on the group's main page?? I moderate a private group and I want to set something like that up but I cannot find the tools for it anywhere. Thanks!

message 18: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Teresa, its pretty easy - on the top RHS of every group page is Group Home, Bookshelf, Discussions, etc incl CREATE CHALLENGE.

message 19: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Jan 06, 2013 09:11AM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Top RHS? Hmm...not sure what that means but I'll snoop around my group to see if I can figure it out, thanks!

Oh! Right Hand Side, ha!

edit: Oh, I see... that's where I was looking but my group does not have that option. I think the group challenge thing is still in beta and only certain groups can do it. Bah. Thanks, though!

edit #2: Found out that if you join the Goodreads Feedback group, you can create a group challenge. Awesome! I did that and now I see how to create one, woot.

message 20: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (last edited Jan 06, 2013 04:39PM) (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Yay Teresa! I thought every group had the option, but maybe mods only can see it :)

ETA: I just checked, and on every group that I am a Mod I can see it and on every group where I'm just a member, I can't.

message 21: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments Yay, Teresa! I didn't realize they'd limited it to GR Feedback members - interesting. We are members though. Hope you like the series, if you decide to give it a go.

I remember enjoying Dark Lover also, Josie. I think it took me awhile to get into it and think I only stuck with it was b/c of all the 'BDB is the bomb' chatter at the time. Glad I did, but I don't think it'll ever my OMGOMG BEST SERIES EVER as it is with some. But, Ward has a wicked way of making me absolutely love something about each and every book. Damn if I haven't rate every book either 4 or 5★. LOL!

message 22: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Started rereading Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward last night.

When the first few books came out, I really enjoyed this series a lot. Then around Butch's story, I had trouble getting into the series and stopped reading, despite buying and intending to read more of the books. I'm finding despite a few wince-worthy turns of phrase, I still think Dark Lover's a pretty good read. I'm picking up a lot of details I'd forgotten.

message 23: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I agree, Steph! I haven't rated any below 4 stars either, the trouble is that for now the series is "open-ended" which always worries me. No doubt after I read the most recent 3 though, I'll find that I like them more than I thought lol!

message 24: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments I think, if I'm remembering right, Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward was hard for me to get into. But, I just checked and SURPRISE! I rated it 5★. Seriously, I think she put a spell on me or those books b/c WTH with my ratings? LOL! I mean, I like the series, in fact, I really like a lot of the brothers, but ALL 4-5★? I'd have to do a full re-read to reevaluate my ratings. I really don't want to come across to anyone who's new to the series as though I'm dissing it. I'm not. But, it's not one of my all-time favorites, yet the ratings would lead anyone looking at them to think just that.

message 25: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I know! I can't believe I've rated them so high as well yet I can't call the BDB series a fave! Maybe because my actual favourite series are ones with most of the books rated 5 stars, am up-to-date and can't wait for the up-coming ones and this just isn't the case.

message 26: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments Started rereading Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward .

It's my favorite out of the series. I love Wrath!!

message 27: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments I finished my reread of Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward last night. Despite having read it before and knowing where the story was going in general, I still had trouble putting it down. Am I on fire to start on the next one? Hmmm, not so much. Maybe that's why I lost track of this series in the first place? While I'm reading one of the books, I'm engaged with the characters and really want to know what's going to happen next. But once I finish a book, I can walk away from it for a little while and not keep thinking/wondering about the other characters.

message 28: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Daffodil, I think that's exactly the same with me. Maybe it's the same with other PNR series and why I prefer UF?

message 29: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments
While I'm reading one of the books, I'm engaged with the characters and really want to know what's going to happen next. But once I finish a book, I can walk away from it for a little while and not keep thinking/wondering about the other characters.
You nailed it, Daffodil! That's it in a nutshell for me too. While I'm in it, I must know what happens next (for the most part). But, following my initial - Ah, it's over - I'm okay moving on. Well, except for when it comes to Qhuinn and Blay.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments Half way through the first book. I recently read some of the Demonica series books and I can't help but think on the similarities between the 2 series. Or maybe it's just me??

message 31: by Tiffani (new)

Tiffani Day | 35 comments I absolutely loved this series I had planned on a re read leading up to Quinn and blays book but was only considering reading wrath z's phurys and johns book they were my faves

message 32: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments Hi, CA. I've read both series and don't know that I noticed much of a similarity between them. What kinds are noticing? And, did you hear that Larissa will be writing more in the Demonica world soon? I can't wait! Miss that series.

Those are some of my faves too, Tiffani. Enjoy!

message 33: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 29 comments Had a bit of a break after Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward , due to what I viewed as a bit of an unusual ending...then just finished Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward . Its probably my favourite so far cause I love the baby brothers! If anyone was hesitant to try it due to some hot and cold reviews, I would suggest read it and make your own opinion. If someone would like to check out my spoiler and respond that would be great

re Phury: (view spoiler)

message 34: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments Well, first of all, they both have glossaries at the beginning, with words belonging to an invented language. One of those words is for addressing their lovers (lirsha in demonica, leelan in bdb). Both series first book is about a male that finds himself in charge of a half-human who ends up turning. Both series have fragments of text from the point of view of different characters that are not the main ones in that particular story.

.. For example :)

message 35: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments Dang, sorry, Lorelle, but my memory sucks and it's been yrs since I've read that one so I can't remember what was explained. Here are some links from the BDB group that might have your answer(s).

Phury character thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...
Lover Enshrined book thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...
Lover Enshrined buddy read thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Of course, one of our members may know as well. Good luck in your hunt for answers!

LOL CA! I see your point. ;)

message 36: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (last edited Jan 16, 2013 09:44PM) (new)

Sandra | 23518 comments Sorry, Lorelle, its been quite a while since I read it as well. (view spoiler)

message 37: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments I just finished the first two books in the last year so I think I will start with Lover Awakened and try to finish it this year

message 38: by Lorelle (new)

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 29 comments thanks so much for your responses :) and those links were very helpful!

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1312 comments Just noticed this thread. Maybe this will be the kick in the ass I need to catch up more in this series. I've only read through book 4. They're good, but her spelling gets on my nerves a bit (plus how many times do you need to read shitkickers?)

message 40: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments You're welcome, Lorelle.

LOL Rachel!

message 41: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Jan 31, 2013 05:29PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments I was going to pre-order Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) by J.R. Ward to be delivered directly to my Kindle on its birthday.
I was surprised to see the pricing @ Amazon.

Kindle $14.99
PB $7.99
HC $16.44

Um, what? Less than a $2 different between eVersion and hardcover?

message 42: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments Way too much for a kindle version IMO. I preordered the hardcover :)

message 43: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments I agree and I'm leaning towards that one as well.

message 44: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 354 comments I just read Dark Lover for the first time in December and finished Lover Eternal last night (ok, maybe 3am this morning). I really enjoyed the first one but I was completely captivated by this one. I agree with what others said above, I generally get hooked more on UF over PNR, but that being said, I think I'm going to be starting Lover Awakened pretty freaking fast because I'm dying to read about Zsadist and Bella. I don't really enjoy the Lesser parts either but even that I didn't mind so much in Lover Eternal.

message 45: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments LOL (3am) Glad you're enjoying them, Julianne. I love Zsadist. Hope you like his book.

message 46: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments Lover Eternal is definitely one of my favorites. Who hasn't thought and felt like Mary at some point in their lives? I just love Rhage, he is so warm and tender and cute.

My favorite scene is when (view spoiler)

message 47: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments I just finished my reread of Lover Eternal which I really enjoyed. Loved Rhage!

message 48: by Daffodil (last edited Feb 18, 2013 12:03PM) (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments I've reread Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward . And I finally made it all the way through Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward ; it only took me 5 years. LOL.

Lover Awakened packed such an emotional punch on so many levels, I found it hard to care as much about Marissa and Butch. I found their romance more annoying than enthralling. On the plus side, events that happened early in the book kept me glued to the page so I could find out Butch's fate.

I'm looking forward to V's story next. I'm also anticipating Rehv's story and finding out more about him.

message 49: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28434 comments LOL Daffodil! Glad you're enjoying them - for the most part. I really liked Rehv's story. He piqued my interest in the books prior, so I was happy he got a book so I could finally learn more about him. I can't remember the names of the two that work closely with him ... but, I'd like to learn more about them as well. Wasn't really sure JM was ready for a solo book (8), but really enjoyed that one too. So touching him and Xhex. I'm hoping to get to book 10 soon. I have the audio loaded and ready. I'm hoping to get to it before Q/B's in March.

message 50: by CyberAlmu (new)

CyberAlmu | 302 comments The two that work with Rehv are Trez and iAm. It would be really cool to know more about them, we practically don't know anything!!

Speaking of JM and Xhex... (view spoiler)

« previous 1