Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Shoemaker's Wife
This topic is about The Shoemaker's Wife
Group Read Discussions > January 2013- The Shoemaker's Wife

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani is January's winner.

Discuss this book here... Remember to mark all spoilers!

Spoiler tag:
[spoiler] Your text goes here. [/spoiler]
*replace [] with < >

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 138 comments I listened to this audio-book a couple months back and really enjoyed it. It was not what I expected, but really wonderful. I can't wait to discuss this with others!

message 3: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Barton | -5 comments I just bought this book for my kindle - it is currently $1.99....

message 4: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 52 comments I bought it last night, too! That's actually sort of hilarious.

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 306 comments I just finished this book and loved it. Much time is spent in the opera world and backstage. I thought Trigiani captured the Italian immigrant experience very well.

message 6: by Nell (new) - added it

Nell Kathy wrote: "I just bought this book for my kindle - it is currently $1.99...."

It must have been a one day sale. The price now is $7.99.

Helen $19 on Kindle for this Aussie *sad face*

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I have read almost all of Trigiani's books and while I enjoyed The Shoemaker's Wife, which is loosely based on one of the author's grandmothers, I recommend her Big Gap series. First rate and the main character drives a bookmobile.

Anna | 281 comments I got this from the library today and am looking forward to reading it.

message 10: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen (2noelle) I will be reading this book with you. I got the ebook off of B&N for $1.99. It was a daily deal.

message 11: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (glitzyrebel) I read this book a couple of months ago!! Loved it!!!

message 12: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1352 comments Mod
This book has been on my wishlist for a while. I will see if I can get it from my library!

Ioana | -8 comments I listened to the audio version last month, and enjoyed it a lot. It was my first Trigiani, and definitely not the last.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 121 comments Lori wrote: "I read this book a couple of months ago!! Loved it!!!"
Ditto

message 15: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 68 comments Just wondering if this book will be worth a look? Got an Amazon voucher to spend. If there's fast cars, guns, and loose women, count me in :)

Stacey (slkenn79) | 82 comments I am about 20% through and am really enjoying the story so far. I really like Ciro.

message 17: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Turner | 45 comments Being half Italian, I love the way Trigiani shows the character of Italians, especially rregarding family in this book.
I have always liked her work & thik her Big Gap series is the best.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 138 comments I actually listened to this novel on book and tape and it was wonderful! The narrator did an amazing job

message 19: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna | 281 comments I'm a couple of chapters in and really enjoying this. I'm a big fan of hers and this book is not going to disappoint me.

Helen Just started and must say love the style of writing ... its just so vivid! Looking forward to reading more!

Leonide Martin | 88 comments OK, so many of you loved this book I am going to read it, will get an ebook today!

Anggie (bibliophile135) | 2 comments Me too, will get the ebook and start soon :)

Melodi | 38 comments R.M.F wrote: "Just wondering if this book will be worth a look? Got an Amazon voucher to spend. If there's fast cars, guns, and loose women, count me in :)"

No cars, no guns, 1 loose woman, kind of.

I absolutely was delighted with this book. Such an easy, quick read.

Helen Just finished the first section...sad and poetic at the same time. Can't wait to read more.

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra O'Briant (sandraramosobriant_) | 52 comments Ciro has me riveted. A good read so far.

message 26: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Barton | -5 comments I am hoping to get it started this weekend - sounds like I am in for a good read!

Helen Sandra wrote: "Ciro has me riveted. A good read so far."

Fabulous character isn't he Sandra!

message 28: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna | 281 comments I am loving this book.

message 29: by Treasa (new) - added it

Treasa (trilliumforest) | 4 comments I loved this book. Full confession: I looked up Caruso, and actually listened to opera in the background at one point while reading the story. I know, I am an incorrigible nerd!

message 30: by Jan (last edited Jan 05, 2013 07:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jlkuttner1) | 3 comments Just joined and acquired this book - I know I'm a little late, and I'm a slower reader than most, but I'll read this thread as avidly as I read the book...and will contribute when finished (or otherwise inspired) :)

Julia Gallagher (juliagallagher) | 12 comments I was finally able to get to the library to pick up the audio book. Since it's audio, it will take me longer to "read." But I'm looking forward to participating!

message 32: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (jimsueh) I just finished this book and loved it! The writing was so descriptive I could really picture the settings and characters. Despite being a little lengthy, it was a quick read and definitely worth it. Look forward to hearing what others think!

Christy Discovered last night that this book is too good to read before bed... I had to make myself turn the light out so I could get some sleep!!! Can't wait to get the kiddos off to school so I can finish it!!

message 34: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 68 comments Melodi wrote: "R.M.F wrote: "Just wondering if this book will be worth a look? Got an Amazon voucher to spend. If there's fast cars, guns, and loose women, count me in :)"

No cars, no guns, 1 loose woman, kind ..."

Foiled again! Anyway, will be picking up this book sometime this week, so I'm looking forward to joining in. This is an author I've never heard of, and a genre/style I've never really involved myself in i.e historical fiction by a woman. Usually, its male authors writing about battles, so I'm looking forward to getting out of my comfort zone.

Helen Just finished part 2 - I kinda wish part two was the end....where can the author go from here so as not to spoil this amazing tale?

message 36: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (glitzyrebel) Treasa wrote: "I loved this book. Full confession: I looked up Caruso, and actually listened to opera in the background at one point while reading the story. I know, I am an incorrigible nerd!"

Hahaha I did the same thing....I had to hear the music!! It has nothing to do with being a nerd...it's all about creating the atmosphere. Loved this book!!!!

Leonide Martin | 88 comments Close to halfway through and really enjoying this book. It's different from my usual historical fiction preferences (really long time ago themes) and gives experience of a unique time in US history when we welcomed immigrants from all over and had endless employment opportunities for them. Being an opera buff, I'm anticipating more connection there. Caruso is well worth some listening, think I'll also crank up an old recording for setting the atmosphere. Good suggestion.

Helen Okay...I'm done. Well....another good read! Part three, whilst good was overwhelming in terms of time span. I felt she tried to cram too much in. So detailed and loving in parts 1 and 2, yet whole chunks of time overlooked in part three. Still and absorbing and moving read that I whizzed through and highly recommend. Four and a half stars!

Look forward to discussing.....

message 39: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
You can start discussing. It's free form. Tell us your thoughts or whatever topics you want to talk about.

I'm current going through the Harry Potter series, but I might take a break and try to get to this one during the weekend.

message 40: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (jimsueh) Helen I had that same thought when I finished part 2, it was a bit of a letdown to keep going after all the excitement of the opera and the ups and downs of their relationship. Though once I got into it, I did enjoy the third part and found it to be the most emotional part of the story for me. I also agree that she glossed over huge chunks of time/life events at the end of the story, particularly about her son's life. I don't know how to do the spoiler thing so I won't get into specifics. I also was a bit disappointed with what I thought was a premature ending. How could she just stop without describing how it went, I waited the whole book for that!

message 41: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 121 comments I too enjoyed the book, part 3 less so--it needed tightening and to be less of a rush through time.

Christy I agree that Part 3 seemed a little rushed, but I enjoyed it so much. This really is a well written book. Has anyone read any of the Big Stone Gap series by Trigiani? I wonder if they are as good.

Helen I totally agree Sue! It was somewhat of a let down which I was fearful of. That is not to say I did not enjoy part 3 for I did. But like you said, whole chunks just glossed over ... I would rather she have gone into more detail. And I agree about the ending ... (view spoiler)

And I was wondering the same thing Christy ... what are her other books like? Any good?

Leonide Martin | 88 comments Now I'm about half-way through, really enjoying Enza's experiences at the MET costume shop and with opera greats like Caruso. Wondered where the story would go next with Ciro off to WWI. Just about to delve into part 3, so am forewarned about time gaps.

Sarah | 7 comments I am only about a fourth of the way through this book, but so far I really like it. I just wanted to respond about the Big Stone Gap series. I enjoyed the first book in the series, but probably only because it took place in a town near mine. Overall I gave the series a two star rating. So far this book seems much better written. I probably wouldn't have read this one if a friend who enjoys the same books as I do hadn't recommended it and told me how different it was compared to the Big Stone Gap series. So far I am glad she did.

Helen Good to know Sarah....TY!

Kristie (kattykris) | 2 comments I just finished the book. I thought it was an enjoyable read and a nice story of the American immigrant experience in the early 20th century. It was a quick read and overall a good choice!

Maryd | 13 comments I'm about one quarter done & am really enjoying this author's writing style.

ladywallingford | 54 comments I finished this book last week and mostly agree with what has already been said, especially with regards to the Minnesota area of the book. The writing seemed very rushed to the point where I wondered if Trigiani just wanted to be done writing the book and didn't care about the final bits.

Both of the main characters were well done but I found myself gravitating more towards Enza. She was such a strong, independent, practical sort of person but yet she loved her family enough to make such a life-altering decision for herself.

message 50: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna | 281 comments I have finished the book today and agree with what's already been said. I loved the book until part 3. I think she should have either finished the book at the end of part 2 and maybe written a sequel which I would have rushed out to buy to find what out what happens next. Alternatively, it would have been better to have part 3 extended to fill in those gaps.

Also, I had this book out from the library and accidentally dropped it in the bath...whoops! Now I have to buy the library a new copy. That will teach me to read in the bath :)

« previous 1