Shut Up & Read discussion

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
This topic is about One Foot in the Grave
Archives > One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh | 15889 comments Mod
We are starting Monday.

message 2: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) I'm in :) c ya Monday

message 3: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Have a great weekend.

message 4: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12306 comments Mod
39 chapters in the book...8 a day?

message 5: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Works for me. I can't wait to read it.

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments Woohoo, can't wait!

message 7: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thena, I am glad you will be joining us.

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments Thanks. :) Christmas made it impossible for me to join in on the last book. I'm glad I can participate in this one!

message 9: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) Hi Thena! Happy to see you'll be reading with us:) I m so glad I found this brilliant, funny, & very caring group of literary minds. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Guess the conversation shall commence on Monday .

message 10: by Lys (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lys (lysrowan) I'm in. Very excited to be back to buddy reads. :)

message 11: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) Yay!! Lys:) so happy to ... See ya! So any thoughts for that buddy read between you & I ? I had it on good word from flutter shy , dr. Whooves, & Derp that you had alot to do , so if now is to busy we can do it later in the fantastic new year

message 12: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) Sheri!! I can't find you on my stupid app:( I'm totally wanting to read that review book "tinker bell & Laura croft " deal, I joined the group but I couldn't get my name into review it, my apologies for being on the wrong thread, desperate measures, it's the ya review thing, are there any spots left?

message 13: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Dec 31, 2012 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Here's the thread:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

All the review copies have been given out but I asked the author about one more.

message 14: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) Thanks, if not i can buy it?

message 15: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, it's on Amazon for $3.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Codename-Fairy-...

I'll let you know what the author says when I hear from her :)

message 16: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Clare you make me laugh! I think to find people on the app you need to go to your friends page under your profile. I love my app for going through the group threads and updating books, but for everything else it's pretty much useless.

message 17: by Lys (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Clare makes me laugh too. I think our next book read should be from her. The post in the Masters of Arms thread was a work of art. :)
Clare, do you mean a buddy read or a pick-it-for-me? If the second: let's do it. I've got a brief break before school starts up again. :)

message 18: by Lys (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lys (lysrowan) So, for Chapters 1-8:

I've read this book recently, but reading it again wasn't in the least bit tedious. It was sort of fun knowing what was coming, esp. with the Ian bits.
I'm very "meh" about Noah, and was last time too. I felt like they just needed the tension of the "nice guy" who wasn't "the one". I miss booooones. Come back Bones, come back.

Favorite quotes of the section:
"Loneliness was put on hold. At least until the cheesecake ran out."
AND
"Life's a bitch and then you're stabbed by one."

No more til I hear from you ladies. :P

message 19: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alyssia wrote: ""Loneliness was put on hold. At least until the cheesecake ran out.""

I haven't read all the way through 8 yet, but this was my favorite line...especially because my son made a cheesecake last night and I was dying for it to get done so we could eat it! It's in the fridge right now with a piece calling my name :)

I hate that FOUR years have passed! What happened during that time? I hope we find out.

message 20: by Lys (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Sheri wrote: "Alyssia wrote: ""Loneliness was put on hold. At least until the cheesecake ran out.""

I haven't read all the way through 8 yet, but this was my favorite line...especially because my son made a che..."

Oh, I KNOW! At first I was really mad about that too. But it's nice because Cat is a surprise in some ways. She has new plot. That can be fun.
BUT FOUR YEARS w/o Bones? HOW DID SHE LIVE? :D

message 21: by Lys (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lys (lysrowan) the answer, of course: cheesecake.

message 22: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Dec 31, 2012 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alyssia wrote: "the answer, of course: cheesecake."

Lol!

Clare Bear, she said she would love to give you a copy to review :) She should be sending a Smashwords coupon for it to your email. After you have written your review, just go back to this thread and let us know.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 23: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can't imagine four years w/o Bones! He is like air, I need him to breathe! LOL!!! Well maybe not breathe but definitely drool.

message 24: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I liked Noah. He was just filler because Bones isn't in the picture. Cheesecake can only go so far.

What did y'all think of Ian?

I enjoyed seeing Cat in acton again but I am ready for Bones to come back.

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments I'm rereading because this is one of my favorite series, but I remember my reaction the first time. I was so mad at Cat at the end of Halfway to the Grave and when I started this book. I couldn't believe she would actually give Bones up, even though I understood her reasons. I'm so impatient. Cat needs to come to her senses!

message 26: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I couldn't believe she did that to Bones either. In her mind she was doing the right thing.

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments I know, but she chose her mother! That woman was nothing but horrible to her. Drove me nuts. LOL

message 28: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I hate to say this but I so wanted her mom to die.

message 29: by Lys (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Leigh wrote: "I hate to say this but I so wanted her mom to die."

amen. AND she just keeps getting worse (I'm thinking about things later on in this book).

message 30: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "I hate to say this but I so wanted her mom to die."

Lol, I had the same thought...

message 31: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) Hey ladies:) sorry I'm late just found the thread, sounds so simple but when it comes to computers this is not the case...luddite syndrome resurfaces ;( aside from that I'm very happy to be back in Jeanine Frost's warm embrace! Happy New Years:) hope 2013 brings nothing but happiness & a huge pile of books that have been promised since a number of authors hung me off of those cliffs.
A few years ago lol. I've only just begun reading so I haven't much to say about the book yet. I'll be back later though, my plan for New Year's Eve is to spend it with my hunny, read,relax, & be ready to pitilessly humor all my friends who still believe the way to welcome in the new year is to have no memory of the previous one sneaking away.
All the best to you guys & your families (pets included of course, my kitty purrs a sultry meee-oooow to all that are sexy & well read)
So on that note, my thumbs are required to prepare her dinner:) ttyl about hooray books!
Sincerely Clare Bear

message 32: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Happy New Years ladies :)

message 33: by Lys (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Sheri wrote: "Happy New Years ladies :)"

Right back at you!

message 34: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Happy New Year!! Hope it is a great one!

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments Happy new year! May 2013 be everything you hope it will be!

message 36: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through chapter 16-

First let me say...Yay! Bones is back!

Now to move on (hehe), I like Cat in this book. She's lost all of her innocence and is super kickass now. Okay, she was kickass before, but now she's even more so. She has a team to lead and doesn't take crap from them.

I'm not sure what I think of the whole Noah thing. Why did she date him for so long? Just to feel "normal"? Because he so wasn't her type.

Favorite quote:
I'd only call my mother if I wanted last-minute motivation to jump off a bridge.

message 37: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri, I love that quote!

message 38: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) I'm a fan if that quote to, sometimes I wish my mother was a nightmare so I could stash these gems & use them, but alas she is not a bitch, never has been. I love my mom but I hate Cat's & it still rubs me wrong that she's ever left Bones to start with

message 39: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) Oh where are my manners? Sheri sweet:) you are the shizit!! I'll totally read that book & I really appreciate you pointing me toward the group, all these opinions with no where to go, it's a dream. But it's going to be different for ya rated brains , the lingo etc. should I check my email, my goodreads notification's, or... Well where should I look for the coupon? Hopefully everyone got some cheesecake , now I want some, Ben & Jerry's strawberry cheesecake icecream, it settles alot, my general nastiness, guy troubles , p.m.s. the cure for feeling fat is actually getting fat, so off I go to eat , read , & wait.. My friends always end up doing something idiotic on New Years, the news or the police will be calling someone.. Cross your fingers it's not me;) btw Lys I did a pick it for you on the other thread, if you're down I'm in! Ttyl it is 2013....

message 40: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

YAY!!! Bones is back! Is it just me or is he even "Hotter"? They work so well together.

message 41: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Clare- She should be sending it to your regular email. I got it off the Elfster thing...We had Orea cheesecake-definately YUM!

Leigh- Definately hotter!!

message 42: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Have you guys made your reading challenge for the year?
http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/9...

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments Sheri wrote: "Have you guys made your reading challenge for the year?
http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/9..."

I did! I'm aiming for 200 books this year. I originally started with a goal of 50 in 2012 and ended up reading 147. :-)

I couldn't help it. I laughed out loud in glee when she saw Bones standing there at the wedding. The whole wedding was full of awesome.

message 44: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

☃❄ ~Thena~ ❄☃ wrote: "I did! I'm aiming for 200 books this year. I originally started with a goal of 50 in 2012 and ended up reading 147. :-)

I couldn't help it. I laughed out loud in glee when she saw Bones standing there at the wedding. The whole wedding was full of awesome."

Good luck with the 200!

I loved the wedding scene! I don't think I would have been able to keep a straight face if I were her :D

message 45: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

What was priceless was her mother's reaction to him. He was oozing with charm and Hotness.

message 46: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Jan 01, 2013 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, but as much as I hate her mother you have to admit her scenes are definitely the funniest in the book.

Everyone has read this but me and Clare, right. Where are you Clare? I've read ahead. I'm on chapter 25 and will read more later. I haven't had any work yet today so I've been reading :)

message 47: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have read ahead. I'm on chapter 21.

message 48: by Lys (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Im not ahead, but I did finish another book today and read a full book. 2013 is off to a fabulous start.
Tonight I am going with a group of friends to see The Hobbit. After, everyone is staying at my house. I am hoping I am able to deal with that. I am a bit of an introvert, so even my four favorite people is a bit taxing.
We have a bunch planned for tomorrow, so I might not not be on much til Thursday.

I am glad that Clare and Sheri are enjoying. I look forward to book three, although rereading has been fun too. ;)

message 49: by Clare (new) - added it

Clare dooley (claredooley) Ohh I totally want to see the hobbit but 3 hours out with the general public is awful to me, during the holidays I give wide berth to anything public, that patriot act can be scary..

Anyway, I made no promises on how much I was going to read this year, I have an odd thing about writing down a #, it's like a stain from highschool (never leave anything out in writing you don't want everyone to read) nosey mom :D I didn't even know there were reading challenges here until my girl Artichoke 8 posted something on getglue about meeting hers, I was all..."what do you get?" & she was all .. "Nothing"... Then it dawned on me!! "A sense of accomplishment & all that stuff right? A personal goal met.. Even surpassed? Awesome:) I think for a moment my confusion killed her joy, Clare felt terrible & felt the need to overcompensate with intrest in a friends accomplishment 's & awesomely that how I found out that this site was more than just a place to organize what I own so I stopped rebuying copies of the same book over & over ( I do it w/ the same shade if lipstick, I'm trapped in like burgandy, wine, the same shade w/ about ten charming shade.

All of this leads up to a few things, 1. I found so much more than a place to organize my books
2. I'm reading 3 things at once, Half-skin by tony Bertauski , really good in a horrifyingly accurate type of way, then I started reading the "Merry Gentry" series, I'm not sure what I think, I keep reading but I'm not excited. Then I've been reading the iron fey series -thank you Lys & the parasol protectorate books... Ummm this long excuse leads up to me admitting that I tried to cheap out & I've been reading the PDF of this book:( sickening right? I have no idea how far along I am & I can't highlight or send any quotes:( it's terrible cause I really like the book. I'm going to buckle down tonight & read the actual book.
I apologize for my lameness , I really thought the PDF would do , I was wrong, so wrong...
I'm going to go back to amazon tail between my legs & buy it. I'll post again later tonight

message 50: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Clare - It's nailpolish for me. I swear I have 10 bottles of the same color.

And I have bought physical books that I already had on my Kindle (unintentionally) only to later realize I had two of them. Yeah, it helps to have them all in one place :D

« previous 1 3