Fans of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison discussion

Ryn Cormel

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Curious what everyone thinks about him?

Personally I like him as a character. Of course being an undead vamp he has no emotion and is only out for himself. Still, as far as undead vamps go - if you compare with Piscary - he's not acting as badly as that yet. I don't think he will either. He may do whatever it takes to try to save the vamp race soul issue, but seems to be biding his time to see what happens and if the girls can work it out for themselves first.

Think we'll see more of him before the end of the series? Think it will all be ugly and get worse, or interesting as it has been?

message 2: by Bakshree Mishra (last edited Dec 28, 2012 07:40AM) (new)

Bakshree Mishra | 24 comments I think Kim's mention that, the more humane an undead vampire looks, the more depraved he actually is; he just knows how to hide it better.

IMO Piscary was an idiot and Cormell has more political sense. Letting Rachel and Ivy sort out the soul-after-death on their own, is clearly the better option... Because trapping Morgan in a corner is never a good idea and Cormel knows that (see what happened to Pisdcary :D )

We definitely ARE seeing Cormell in EA, I think, seeing that TOR mentions him. What fun!! :D

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'm looking forward to it, find him intriguing :)

message 4: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments I think Rynn is still a sociopath, just that he is better at it. I thought all dead vamps were sociopaths because without their soul, they don't understand human soul and heart.

I like his character, a bit harder to figure out than straight up Piscary who is bad.

message 5: by Teena (new)

Teena | 66 comments Hmmm, I am not sure how I feel about him. I think he definitely has a much darker side than what we have seen so far, he hides it better than Piscary as Jisha mentioned. He wasn't willing to stand up to the witches for Rachel. Perhaps when Rachel finds a way to save Ivy's soul things will change, hopefully for the better.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Tina wrote: "Hmmm, I am not sure how I feel about him. I think he definitely has a much darker side than what we have seen so far, he hides it better than Piscary as Jisha mentioned. He wasn't willing to stan..."

You're right on that. I think he was doubting her value at the time and didn't want to risk sticking his neck out for her since the witch council is a powerful enemy to have and he wasn't sure if she was worth it at the time.

Wondering if we'll see that other vamp Felix again too before books end.

message 7: by Teena (new)

Teena | 66 comments I have a feeling we will see more of Felix, he was in chapter two of Ever After, and it seems Ivy and Nina might be becoming an item. At least I hope so, I would like to see Ivy have a happy ending!

Bakshree Mishra | 24 comments Tina wrote: "I have a feeling we will see more of Felix, he was in chapter two of Ever After, and it seems Ivy and Nina might be becoming an item. At least I hope so, I would like to see Ivy have a happy ending!"

Who do you think is scarier, Ryn or Felix?

message 9: by Teena (new)

Teena | 66 comments Jisha,

That is a good question. Ryn is a Master vampire and I would imagine it would take a lot to get to that point. I don't think Felix is (unless I am remembering wrong); he is old, doesn't come out his hiding place, and is a member (or head?) of the IS. Based on that, I am thinking Ryn is more of a threat, but we will see! That certainly could change. Just read your review of Ever After! Very nice!

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) I don't even remember Ryn not standing up for Rachel in front of the witch council. Then again, I did mostly only skim BMS - too much Pierce.

message 11: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments No I'm pretty sure Felix is a master vamp too... I don't know if it's specifically mentioned, but he's head of the IS west of the mississippi, and they wouldn't give that to anyone less than a master...

message 12: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Jan 02, 2013 05:45PM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Pretty sure Felix is a master vampire. He's able to use his favorites to take over their bodies and due to his age and position, I would really doubt it would be otherwise.

Veronica, it was in passing so easy to miss - Ivy was telling Rachel about it on the phone

message 13: by Bakshree Mishra (new)

Bakshree Mishra | 24 comments Erin wrote: "Pretty sure Felix is a master vampire. He's able to use his favorites to take over their bodies and due to his age and position, I would really doubt it would be otherwise.

Veronica, it was in pas..."

Zeenat wrote: "No I'm pretty sure Felix is a master vamp too... I don't know if it's specifically mentioned, but he's head of the IS west of the mississippi, and they wouldn't give that to anyone less than a mast..."

Tina wrote: "Jisha,

That is a good question. Ryn is a Master vampire and I would imagine it would take a lot to get to that point. I don't think Felix is (unless I am remembering wrong); he is old, doesn't ..."

I agree with Zeenat & Erin, Felix is a master vampire... he possesses (?) Nina to walk around in the day time... He's the head honcho of IS right now, but what exactly is Ryn's role? He used to be the President during the Turn, I think. I'm sure he wields a lot of political power but what office does he hold now? (*confused*)

Thanks for dropping by my blog, Tina... I worked hard trying to keep away spoilers, esp. I was so excited about the book :D

message 14: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (abelisii) | 22 comments I think Ryan is the new Piscary, he's taken over his "House" of vampires. So whatever Piscary was into Ryan is now into it... I Suppose.

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments I havent seen enough of him to decide yet. As for Nina and Ivy ah... I dont know if that would be good for Ivy but with Glenn and whats her name moving away they might get together.

message 16: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 6 comments He is better than Piscary, but still that is not difficult to do considering. I know little about him so far. I think the Ivy/Glen relationship in a good one!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I actually think the Ryn character is interesting enough to have a prequel book all his own. I mean, vampire becoming president sounds like a really good storyline with a lot of backstory...

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I agree Debbie and wished more had been done with him

I don't think he took over all of Piscary's operations, he just became the new master of that area. He got rid of the pizza business and remodeled it and they come in with their new rules, dealing, and expectations, projects, etc.

message 19: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (abelisii) | 22 comments So basically since there hasn't been much Ryan, we can assume he is just a presence in the area so that no other master can move in, and he keeps the other vamps in some kind of order.

I think the Ivy/Nina thing isn't too bad of an idea birds of a feather you know, bother abused in some way by a master vampire, and since Ivy is nursing her back to sanity a relationship can blossom for it.

message 20: by VampireNovelFan (new)

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments His name is Ryn, not Ryan ~_^.

message 21: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (abelisii) | 22 comments Ryn Ryan Rynn Rin w/e he isnt important at the moment so he doesn't deserve my attention hehe

What do you guys think about Jenks and the faerie Belle(sp?) huh huh?

message 22: by Teena (new)

Teena | 66 comments Ohhhh, I like the idea of Jenks and Belle. He is awesome, and I hope he ends up happy!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I love Jenks but think the Belle thing, while humorous, is a bit off.

message 24: by Teena (new)

Teena | 66 comments Even if they are just good friends, it would be nice to know Jenks has someone to watch his back and keep him company now that Matalina is gone and his kids are growing up and branching out on their own. Rachel and Ivy will always be there for him, but they have their own lives now too and are not as dependent on each other.

message 25: by Bakshree Mishra (new)

Bakshree Mishra | 24 comments I can totally see Belle nagging Jenks like a housewife *grin* Matalina was perfect in her own way (still miss her, *sob*) but Jenks needs to move forward... especially if he has twice the pixy life - which would mean spending a whole life alone... I DEFINITELY don't want that to happen to him. Rachel and Ivy are his best frieds, but like Rachel once said, you sometimes need a person your size to hold you... (Rachel is deep sometimes ;) )

message 26: by Ronove (new)

Ronove (narodnik) | 89 comments I will never understand WHY Matalina had to be killed off. I don't get it. It didn't enhance the plot. Belle could have been pals with Jenks and Matalina if she lived.

I also can not comprehend Ceri's death - with NO prospect of resurrection. I don't get it. WHY did her spirit move on - she loved her new baby and Quen. I do not get it. It makes NO sense to me.

I didn't cry until I read "she moved on, her spirit is gone." I was just NO NO OMG when I read she was killed. I figured..... resurrection. I don't see the POINT of it at all. Didn't she and Quen and their baby deserve a happy life? I can't fathom it. I see no purpose in it for the plot. Oh, except that I HATE Nick more, if that's possible. I can not believe Quen didn't kill him. Some of EA makes no sense to me.

message 27: by Veronica (last edited Feb 19, 2013 11:39AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) But that's rather like real life, no? Bad stuff happens and there's never any good point to it. It just is. My own sister died barely two months after giving birth to her first and only chil so while Ceri's death was sad considering her circumstances, it seemed very true to life to me. And I'm glad that she can't be resurrected. That would cheapen the story IMO if there were magical get-out-jail-cards.

message 28: by VampireNovelFan (new)

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Veronica G. wrote: "But that's rather like real life, no? Bad stuff happens and there's never any good point to it. It just is. My own sister died barely two months after giving birth to her first and only chil so ..."

You clearly don't follow the Naruto series, Veronica :P

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) No, no I don't. :-)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I thought there were some inconsistencies in Ever After that didn't fit into some fine details of earlier books.

I thought they could only try the spell with a communial event going on, but in the end it was said Rachel, Trent, and Al tried it a few times.

Then Rachel said she has tried to bring back Pierce and Ceri, but earlier in Ever After she said she thought Jenks hid the watch so she couldn't try to rez him.

With the moving on, I don't think it's necessarily the persons choice. Some of the spirits just seem to go, but some of the restless ones are kept behind.

The second time Pierce showed up he admitted he didn't know why he hadn't moved on, because he figured after the first time he would have. I'm sure if Ceri had a choice, she would have stayed knowing she would be resurrected.

message 31: by Ally (new)

Ally (allycats86) | 25 comments I've never really cared much about Cormel's character, but I think that's because I don't find the vampires in this series to be all that interesting. I didn't like the way he demanded that Rachel find their souls, but after what happened with Felix I can certainly understand why he's so desperate. I hope Rachel does find a way to help them for Ivy's sake if nothing else.

In regards to Ceri, I agree with Veronica. I don't like books where a character is killed off only to be brought back later. When I read books like this, I have a hard time taking the rest of the story seriously. As far as Pierce goes, that guy couldn't die soon enough for me. Sorry to all the Pierce fans out there. :)