2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > 30 for Vani | 2013

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vani (last edited Apr 01, 2013 09:06PM) (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments I promised myself 50 books for 2012, but didn't even get through half of it. So I'm lowering the bar, and will hopefully finish it. I would also REALLY want to be able to read a few classics this year.
Mmm, I love fantasy and adventure books, and also short stories. And my favorite authors are J.K., GRRM, and Neil Gaiman. I also pretty much read any genre as long as it has an interesting plot, so suggestions are welcome! :)

----

Currently Reading:
Peter Pan
Paper Towns

message 2: by Vani (last edited Jan 19, 2013 01:52AM) (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments January 1, 2013!

All the Lovely Bad Ones
Rating: 3/5

message 3: by Vani (last edited Jan 19, 2013 01:52AM) (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments January 3, 2013!

Para Kay B

message 4: by Vani (last edited Jan 19, 2013 01:45AM) (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments January 7, 2013

Wonder
Rating: 5/5

Wonder was a story of a character unlike any I have ever read. More than anything else, I think that was what I loved the most about it. With all the books coming out these days, I guess I must have gotten tired of all the mary-sues and the good looking ones. This was a book of bravery that--in the kind of society we live it today,--we can more easily relate to.

message 5: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments January 13, 2013

American Gods

This took a while for me to finish, but it was still good. I think people who are actually from America will enjoy this more, though. Most of the terms an references will be familiar for them, unlike they were to me, and that'll keep them reading.

message 6: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments January 16, 2013

Smoke and Mirrors
Rating: 4/5

message 7: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments January 19, 2013

The Giver

If every single person in the world read this, I think the world would turn into such a better place. This book really got me deep, made me think and thankful. People tend to forget what they have sometimes, and The Giver slaps it all right in your face.

message 8: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments January 19, 2013

The First Confessor
Rating: 1/5

(Will put my review in later)

message 9: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments January 31, 2013

The Long Earth
Rating: 2/5

Whew. I finished this just in time for my January Monthly Challenge.

SPOILER ALERT
After reading the book, I wasn't really sure of what happened. The plot just seemed to comprise entirely of the main characters just moving from one world to the next. It was interesting, at first, to see what they would find, but as the story progressed it just seemed to get...tiring. The ending was a surprise, however. I think it's my favorite part of the whole story. It shows just how selfish people can be. Now that I think about it, I just kinda love books that tell me how ugly people are.

message 10: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments February 10, 2013

Life of Pi

Wow. Just wow.

message 11: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments March 26, 2013

Fragile Things

message 12: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments March 30, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird

It's a great book. I know it is. The only reason it got only four out of five was because it isn't really my type of book. I guess I'm still getting used to the classics.

message 13: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments April 10, 2013

Peter Pan

Wow. I've only watched the movie so far, but am I glad I read this. There's something about the way Sir Barrie writes that gets into your younger self. Weird thing is, I ended up pitying Peter (thus sort of pitying my youth), but loved him loads at the same time.

message 14: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments April 3, 2013

Paper Towns

This taught me how stupid love makes you.

message 15: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments May 2, 2013

The Hobbit

message 16: by Vani (new)

Vani (vdodsey) | 36 comments May 4, 2013

Little Women