! YA Heroines ! discussion

Debates > Hardback or Paperback?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments This is one of the most debated topics in the book world. So join in.

I personally prefer Hardbacks, just because you can't bend the cover and I really like the dust jackets. You can pull away the dust jacket and see the book beneath it. (I don't really know why I like that! I just do.)

This is my opinion what's yours?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 57 comments I don't have a preference really, except dust jackets really annoy me because I always seem to somehow bend/rip them. Most of the time though this is not an issue because most of my books are from the library.

message 3: by Sina (new)

Sina | 429 comments If I have to choose between the two of then paperback, but I prefer Kindle most!

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments ... I need I Kindle.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2466 comments i love my Kindle to its so much easier to get books and when I'm out I always have my books with me but I still take comfort in my hardback books

message 6: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle (BerlinChick) | 36 comments I really love my kindle app, that way I can read whenever I want, on a short break somewhere and even in the dark.

But reading in a book, preferably paperback so I can bend it, is a whole other experience. A kindle book can suck me in too, but a real book just feels 'more'. I can't explain it, it's really just a feeling.

When I really loved a book I try to get it in Hardback, for my 'library'. ;)

message 7: by B. (new)

B. Tealya (tealya) | 65 comments I don't really know which I prefer. Both have their good and bad qualities. If i had to pick one, I think I might take hardback even if it is more expensive. Hardbacks are much more solid than paperbacks and hold up better in the long term. However, if I don't really like the book, I probably won't want to spend the money on a hardback.

I also really like my kindle and ibooks apps. I don't like marking up books because it ruins them imo, but I can highlight all I want in my digital ones without worrying about their quality several years down the road. That is probably the one huge advantage digital books have over physical ones for me.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) That's why I hardly ever take my kindle to school. That and the fact that I would probably lose it.

message 9: by Chelsea (last edited Apr 21, 2013 08:41PM) (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments I love hardbacks so much! I don't buy them because then I'd be even more broke than I am now! (I use the public library just cause it's easy) I have an inexplianable preference for hardcover over paperbacks and even e-books.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) One of my favorite parts about hardcovers is the feel of them. They just feel better than paperbacks. Some have a very specific feel to them.

I went to the book store to buy my friend a book a few years ago. It was a hardcover of Torment by Lauren Kate (which I believe came out the day I bought it), and I didn't want to give it to her because the cover felt so soft! It was very velvety. I did give it to her, though, but not before reading it first.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 2466 comments I love hard cover books they feel relaxing when you pick them up I have some leather bond books and I love those to

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Oh man. That's the worst part of paperbacks. They bend so easily.

message 13: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Stedman | 19 comments Lots of publishers don't do hardback any more. Some don't even do print. Guess we're lucky there's books at all...

message 14: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments Agreed. Hardback is just too darn expensive, not many people buy hardbacks anymore, it's a shame.

message 15: by Simmaron (new)

Simmaron (mybookedlife) | 1119 comments I like hardbacks but I can't afford so paperbacks are better option. Plus it's better than ebooks, affordable and it's a physical book so it works for me. But if given chance and obv money I'll buy only hardbacks

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Seriously you can't get hardbacks here especially TMI they just don't have them, so my books are mostly paperback I hate how on paperback the spine gets all cracked :(

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) I really don't like that about paperbacks. And the their covers bend easily.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

They have no hardbacks here. At all. I'm gonna order hardbacks of Delirium and Divergent and their sequels from America or somewhere. Ooooh I need to get The Night Circus as well.

message 19: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) I don't actually have a preference since both are fine with me. Paperbacks are much cheaper but hardbacks are more durable and less prone to the cover folding, which I absolutely hate. I'm not one of those people who have to have the same cover for a series and my TID books are all different sizes, haha.

Anyway, I think whether it's a hard bound or a paperback, it is still a book and I will still read it and I will almost always get attached to fictional characters AGAIN.

Claudia the Night Owl (claudiamancilla) | 44 comments Hard, that way I don't feel like I'm hurting it just by opening it.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (booklover723) | 11 comments perfer hard but buy paper because it cheaper

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Mitchell (Fabulousness) | 8 comments I prefer hard, but without the dust jackets. (Unless they are taped to the book.)

message 23: by Kate (last edited Jul 14, 2013 08:44PM) (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) Kayla wrote: "I don't actually have a preference since both are fine with me. Paperbacks are much cheaper but hardbacks are more durable and less prone to the cover folding, which I absolutely hate. I'm not one ..."

My TID series is in different formats too. I've got Clockwork Princess in hardback, Clockwork Prince in paperback, and Clockwork Angel in invisi-back (I've read it twice from the library, yet I still don't have a copy of the book).

message 24: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (warpedline) | 214 comments I really prefer Hardbacks. I love for all my books to be in perfect condition, and Paperbacks just get so wrinkly and bent so easily! Plus, I have a thing called Hyperhidrosis in my hands and feet, which means I sweat in abnormal amounts and at random points. Usually dramatic changes in temperature triggers it, but sometimes I'll just be sitting reading a book, then my fingers start sweating and its horribly uncomfortable :'(

message 25: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (theycallmebookworm) | 1955 comments And hardbacks are great for getting rid of annoying little brothers :D. I'm kidding!

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleellengrace) Hardback seems to be the fave here but I think paperbacks are better personally. I can't stand dust jackets they always annoy me and the books are heavier so when I need to take a book out with me they weigh my bag down. I understand why people like them I just prefer paperbacks.

Julia Griffis - The Romance Bibliophile (theromancebibliophile) I prefer hardbacks because I like that it's sturdy and it lasts longer than a paperback, even though it is much heavier. I almost always read on my Nook, Kindle Paperwhite, or those reading apps on my iPad, so I rarely use hardbacks. But I still like them:)

message 28: by cait (new)

cait (caitlinisakittycat) This is actually really hard! I love paperbacks because they're so much more affordable & lighter for when I haul them around in my purse, but hardcovers are so much more durable! I think, though, that I've gotta go with paperback, just because it's half the price for the same story & leaves more money for another great read! When I have a choice between the two, I go for two paperbacks over one hardcover. Sorry, B&N & Amazon!

Olivia (Bookcomet) | 80 comments Mod
I love paperbacks! I find them a lot easier to read but you have to be super careful not to bend the cover or crack the spine. Sometimes it's pretty much impossible not to bend the cover depending on the material of it though. Usually I like the cover and dust jacket better of a hardcover better than the paperback but not always. Plus paperbacks can be a LOT cheaper.

nightwing_shawshank | 8 comments i love the feel of paperbacks cradling in my hands but i like the resilience of a hardcover.

Claudia the Night Owl (claudiamancilla) | 44 comments If it's available I always go hardcover.