The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

North America / Caribbean > Columbus Day? True Legacy: Cruelty and Slavery

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If Christopher Columbus were alive today, he would be put on trial for crimes against humanity. Columbus' reign of terror, as documented by noted historians, was so bloody, his legacy so unspeakably cruel, that Columbus makes a modern villain like Saddam Hussein look like a pale codfish.

Why do we honor a man who, if he were alive today, would almost certainly be sitting on Death Row awaiting execution?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-ka...

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling Why pick out one guy when you got a whole lot of people who were responsible for the plundering of the whole world during that time. One reason might be that you could be putting people in jail right now today for the same reasons, so we elect one guy to be the fall guy so it looks like all of this is something that happened a long time ago. Like slavery ended. Really ironic that countries claim that treasure hunters have to give back treasures they have found to the country that took them and not give them back to the country that had the treasures originally taken from them.

message 3: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 432 comments nobody's "picking" on Columbus. as children (at least in the US) we're sold a bill of good about what a great guy he was. only people who are really curious learn the truth about him later in life. there's a holiday for him. i'm all for abolishing all holidays dedicated to slave runners.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark | 785 comments Columbus is certainly as much deserving of execration as the next monstrous, sadistic sociopath. But since Americans are systematically, cosmically ignorant of their own history, and no more know the true facts of Columbus' life than they know how to find Europe on a map, it doesn't bother me particularly that they want to celebrate or deify a historical monster. What bothers me more is that they persist in electing contemporary sadistic monsters to the House of Representatives.