Historical Fiction discussion

books to read! > Currently Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments Thought it might be fun to share and rate what we're reading.

message 2: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments Just finished "Pearl Harbor" Pearl Harbor A Novel of December 8th by Newt Gingrich and "Through a Glass Darkly" Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen .

Also very much looking forward to the start of "Downton Abbey" on PBS. Is anyone else a fan?

message 3: by NayNay (new)

NayNay I am about to start The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory , I tried once and gave up...but I am determined to finish reading it.

message 4: by Brittany B. (last edited Jan 01, 2013 11:56PM) (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 9 comments NayNay wrote: "I am about to start The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory, I tried once and gave up...but I am determined to finish reading it."

I couldn't do it Ny Nay! I had to skip The Red Queen and Woman of the Rivers. I tried to read both.
I loved the The Kingmaker's Daughter. It was sufficient after The White Queen to whet my appetite for the war of the roses. The end of Kingmaker's Daughter was a shock to my system. Thus, I am eagerly awaiting Elizabeth of York's story, The White Princess. (I have read anything I could get my hands on about Richard III, Elizabeth Woodville, and the Princes in the tower, since I finished the Kingmaker's Daughter.)
--------------

I am currently reading The Memoirs Of Cleopatra by my favorite author, Margaret George. Incredible, but LONG! Her book on Henry the VIIII is my all time favorite.
I am also reading The Secret Magdalene by Ki Longfellow. So far I'm extremely confused, not enjoying it, but I'm determined to push on... Though the author's strange bio has me wondering what I've got myself into...
------------

Oh Cheryl, I do like Downton Abbey. But I yet to watch the last episode of season 2. I don't know what I'm waiting for. :) I have it downloaded and ready o watch.
What did you think of Through a Glass Darkly? It's been looming over me since I bought it. It's my "to-read ASAP"

message 5: by Gentian (new)

Gentian | 1 comments Les Miserables for me at the moment.

I enjoy Downton, not particularly accurate but enjoyable escapism. The Christmas special was interesting. Not sure how they will follow it but I understand they are filming season 4 soon.

message 6: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments I just ordered the Henry the VIII book, but will be taking a little break from historical fiction for a while. I like to mix it up with other genres.

I loved "Through a Glass Darkly"

I just finished "Csardas" Csardas by Diane Pearson which is the story of four families in Hungary from before WW1 until after WW2. I had read it many years ago and enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

message 7: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 9 comments Thanks Cheryl. I've been debating it bc it's abridged. Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen

I'm finally listening to Broken Harbor by Tana French . I love Tana French, but I haven't been interested in a mystery in a while. The audiobook was on sale for $6; I couldn't pass it up. So far it's really good.
Also listening to The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley . At 50 hours, it is my longest book. Davina Porter is the narrator, and she is the perfect choice for this story.

message 8: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments Just finished the prequel to "Through a Glass Darkly", "Dark Angels" Dark Angels by Karleen Koen and enjoyed it just as much.

message 9: by Michaela (last edited Feb 01, 2013 06:10AM) (new)

Michaela (michaelarae1) I just finished reading Mary, Bloody Mary (Young Royals, #1) by Carolyn Meyer , Beware, Princess Elizabeth (Young Royals, #2) by Carolyn Meyer , and Doomed Queen Anne (Young Royals, #3) by Carolyn Meyer . I really enjoyed Mary, Bloody Mary; however, I thought that the other two were only mediocre. I can't wait to read some more historical fiction books!

message 10: by Rysa (new)

Rysa Walker (rysawalker) | 2 comments *Love* Downton Abbey -- and the new season has been incredible so far. My key challenge is finding a time when the kids are asleep and everything is quiet so that we can watch it without interruption. I get unreasonably grumpy if I am yanked out of the 1920s to pour and glass of milk or check homework. ;-) Cheryl S. wrote: "Just finished "Pearl Harbor" Pearl Harbor A Novel of December 8th by Newt Gingrich and "Through a Glass Darkly" Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen.

Also very much looking forward to th..."

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments Hey guys! Just joined the group... I'm a huge historical fiction fan myself and I'm also part of this exciting website called Libboo. As my first post in this group I wanted to offer up 1 free download of a vey cool book called The Secret Templar Alliance by Richard Trevae (summary below). Click the link to claim the book before it's gone! This isn't spam I promise :)

https://www.libboo.com/freebies/39fb4...

Here's the summery:
While visiting Switzerland to attend a college friend's wedding, Dalton Crusoe is drawn into the dark world of corrupt Swiss bankers whose history involves ties to The Knights Templar, and financially enabling the rise of Nazi Germany. When his friend is killed after discovering the lead to an ancient Alpine Templar repository, Dalton picks up the investigation and quickly begins to uncover more than he bargained for. As he discovers layers of corruption running deep within The Secret Templar Alliance, he realizes there is no turning back, and that he may never be safe again.
The Secret Templar Alliance

message 12: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments Just finished "The Autobiography of Henry VIII with Notes by His Fool, Will Somers" The Autobiography of Henry VIII With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George . Found it to be fascinating and very readable. Margaret George has a talent for bringing historical figures to life.

message 13: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments Brittany B. wrote: "NayNay wrote: "I am about to start The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory, I tried once and gave up...but I am determined to finish reading it."

I couldn't do it Ny Nay! I had to skip The Red Queen and..."

I liked "Through a Glass" a lot. Nice winter read.

message 14: by L.B. (new)

L.B. Joramo (lbjoramo) | 4 comments Oh, I love this question! Thanks to reading through your posts I have even more books I'd like to read. I'm reading nonfiction right now, THE ROAD TO GUILFORD COURTHOUSE. Its American Revolution related, and begins with the premise that the Southern Campaign is not very well known compared to the Northern Campaign in that war. I don't agree though, especially because of the movie "The Patriot." What do you all think though? Do you all have any recommendations of a HF book set in America for when I'm done with my research?

message 15: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 9 comments Shadow on the Crown by Patricia Bracewell Shadow on the Crown about Queen Emma and King Althered of early England 11th Century...

Surprisingly good historical fiction novel.

message 16: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 9 comments L. B. wrote: "Oh, I love this question! Thanks to reading through your posts I have even more books I'd like to read. I'm reading nonfiction right now, THE ROAD TO GUILFORD COURTHOUSE. Its American Revolution re..."
Hi LB,
I have been hearing positive buzz for The Turncoat: Renegades of the Revolution. It will be released in late February or early March, if not already released.
The Turncoat Renegades of the Revolution by Donna Thorland

message 17: by L.B. (new)

L.B. Joramo (lbjoramo) | 4 comments Thanks, Brittany! It does look good. Coming out March 5th, so I'll get it then.

message 18: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments Just finished "The Distant Hours" The Distant Hours by Kate Morton for my book club. Alternates between WWII and the 1990s, a castle, several mysteries and good writing. Very enjoyable.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) Maryjo wrote: "Hello! I just joined and am looking forward to the recommendations.

I'm currently ready The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton."

Hi, I read The Forgotten Garden and enjoyed it. The mystery of the small suitcase throughout most of the book is highly interesting. I gave it 3 1/2* for being entertaining and a good book club book.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) I'm new here and enjoying reading all of your comments. I have been addicted to historical fiction for at least 15 years. Used to work in a book store. Recently finished "The Last Runaway" by Tracy Chevalier author of "The Pearl Earring". It is about a young Quaker woman who leaves England along with her sister to come to the US, Ohio to be exact. Her sister is to be married but dies before they reach their destination. Honor Bright never feels at home in the small Quaker town of Faithwell, Ohio, she has to adjust to many different American ways of life, including slavery. Quakers are against any kind of enslavement and she has a very hard time with this issue and the people she has found a home with. No spoilers but it kept my attention, all o the characters have very distinct personalities and the reader gets to know them well. Quilting is also an important part of the story both in Honor's past and present life.

Straying away a bit, I am going on a long flight in a couple of weeks and does anyone have a relatively new historical fiction book that is in paperback? Most of the reviews here I think are for new hardcovers.

message 21: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Dorie wrote: "I'm new here and enjoying reading all of your comments. I have been addicted to historical fiction for at least 15 years. Used to work in a book store. Recently finished "The Last Runaway" by Tracy..."

You could try Motherland by William Nicholson. I think it's out now. (WWII story), or Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan (set in the 70s but feels like HF).

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) Mary, thank you for the suggestions, I will check them out. Have never read Ian McEwan but hear he is good!

message 23: by Lisasue (new)

Lisasue (lisasuej) | 3 comments I liked "The Crown" by Nancy Bilyeau very much. Also "The Flower Reader" by Elizabeth Loupas.

message 24: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments Just finished "The Aviator's Wife" The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin for my Book Club. The writing was quite compelling and I enjoyed it a great deal. Not a lot of new information on the Lindbergs but refreshingly written from Anne Morrow Lindberg's point of view.

message 25: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 14 comments Just finished "The Borgia Bride" The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis . Always been curious about the Borgias and do feel I got some understanding of their lives. Would like to read more especially about the Borgia Bride Sancha of Aragon who was married to the youngest Borgia brother, Jofre, who was purported to only be a half brother to Juan and Caesar and not a true Borgia. The poisonings, incest, etc are all there some of it in quite lurid detail.

message 26: by Nikole (new)

Nikole (nikolenoel) | 3 comments Does anyone have an recommendations for historical about Edward the Confessor?

message 27: by Nikole (new)

Nikole (nikolenoel) | 3 comments Historical fiction!