She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > How many books / comic books / mangas did you read this year?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Did you meet your reading goal for the year? If not, do you think you will? (Still a few days left!) What will your goal be next year?

My goal for this year was 150 books, and I made it! 120 of those were graphic novels, and the other 30 were more traditional books.

I don't think I'll be able to read so many graphic novels in the coming year, because I'm now caught up on all the series I wanted to read, so I'm going to shoot for 75 books in 2013.

message 2: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments No, I haven't met my goal, yet, but I'm trying to. I have just TWO (2) BOOKS, Before, I'm done, but I'm a very slow reader, so I don't think I'll make it. My two books are Betrayed by P.C. Cast and The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima.

Betrayed (House of Night, #2) by P.C. Cast by P.C. Cast and The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4) by Cinda Williams Chima by Cinda Williams Chima .

This is my answer to your first question.

I'll do the others, in a minute.

message 3: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments Oh, ......

...... I don't know what next year's goal will be, but, if I don't finish this year's goal, then my two books, above, "Betrayed" by P.C. Cast and "The Crimson Crown" by Cinda Williams Chima, will be finished next year. That's all there is to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (katsobsession) | 66 comments My original goal was 150, but I read such long novels that I didn't make that. So then my goal was 100, I made that, upped it to 105. I'm on my 103rd book now, and don't think I'll be able to make 105. But I'm quite pleased with my reading this year anyway!!!!

Next year I'm going to go for 105 from the start see if I can make it^_^

message 5: by Lashya (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments You must be a REALLY FAST Reader !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see what you said about YOUR Books & goals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HERE"S My "this year's goal" & "next year's goal". ::::

My "this year's goal" was 20. Like I said before, I've read only 18 of them, and is working on the last two.

My "next year's goal" is ..... I don't know, yet .....

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments I don't have reading goals. Should try to count all I read this year but it won't be a large number since I didn't read at all.while writing the thesis and all. :/ And I haven't found a good new manga series to read yet, either.

message 7: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (last edited Dec 27, 2012 06:23PM) (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 307 comments Mod
My goal was 50 and I read 95! I'm going to aim for 75 next year because I'll be starting my dissertation and won't have time for too many books. Oh and I'm about to finish another book with hopefully another one after that. If I'm really geeky I might try to hit 100 in less than a week.

Update: I have just finished my 96th book and worked out that out of all of those, 52 were novels and the remaining 44 were graphic novels, which when you consider I only really started getting into them three or four months ago is pretty decent!

message 8: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Lashya wrote: "You must be a REALLY FAST Reader !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see what you said about YOUR Books & goals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

LOL, like I said, most of what I read was graphic novels, which read faster than other books. But also, I'm a very goal-oriented person. In the first six months of last year, I read 5 books. Then I set a goal to read 50 books that year, and I read 45 more books in the second half of the year.

Also, I'm a SAHM. I have *lots* of time to read. :)

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Yup, I finished my goal. I had just joined Goodreads at the end of 2011 so I wasn't sure how many I would read so I actually changed my goal a few times. It started at 40 and I ended up setting it at 150. As of tonight I have read 172 books. There's only one other book I may read before the end of 2012. Granted, I have everything count including short stories. But I also read A Song of Ice and Fire books 2-5 so I think that kinda makes up for it. I just read fairly fast and had a lot of free time the first 2/3 of the year.

Of the 172 I read 6 manga and 20 graphic novels.

Next year I think I'll set it to 75 since I won't have as much free time as I did this last year. On the graphic novel front I do hope to finish Sandman and Y: The Last Man and catch up on Fables, Buffy Season 9, and Angel and Faith. For manga I will catch up on Sailor Moon.

message 10: by Lashya (last edited Dec 27, 2012 11:13PM) (new)

Lashya Wilson | 94 comments Hey Michelle, what is a SAHM ????????

WOW Natalie, that's fast.

It takes me 04 or 05 WEEKS To read a book that has around 40 Chapters in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments 5 graphic novels, 23 books and some manga (less than 10 volumes, I guess).

SAHM means stay at home mum, I think. ;)

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie To be fair, I estimate over 90 of my books were from the library and I read a lot faster on a deadline.

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (agonmor) | 35 comments My goal for this year was 100 books and I actually thought I'd gone overboard, but I ended up reading 143. It will probably be 145 by the time I finish the two books I have in mind for this weekend.
Overall, I read 32 graphic novels and 36 manga this year.
Free time won't be as available anymore since I start job #2 in the spring, so I think I'll keep my original goal of 100 for next year and hope I have time to read that many. I also made my new year's resolution to not buy books until I read most of what I already have on my to-read pile at home and most of those books are novel that might take me more time to get thru.

message 14: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (agonmor) | 35 comments Natalie wrote: "To be fair, I estimate over 90 of my books were from the library and I read a lot faster on a deadline."

Wow. And I thought I was a fast reader! Not even a deadline would help me finish books fast enough.

message 15: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Rebecca wrote: "SAHM means stay at home mum, I think. ;)"

Yep! :) And I homeschool, but my kids' work is pretty independent, so I have a lot of time that I *have* to sit in the living room and be available to help / answer questions, but I'm not really actively doing anything. It's perfect time for reading! (Or playing video games, LOL.)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.