Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK READING CHALLENGES > 2013 Books to Movies Yearly Challenge

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Jan 02, 2013 05:40AM) (new)

Christine | 752 comments The 2013 Books to Movies Yearly Challenge

Welcome to the group’s first yearly challenge!

I think we can agree that the book is almost always better than the movie. But what’s even better than the book? A challenge based on those books-turned-movies!

Listed below are twenty books (urban fantasy, science fiction, and fantasy) that have been made into movies (some more than once). You have the option of reading the book itself or reading a different book that fulfills one of the alternate suggestions. I have not read all of these books or seen all of these movies, so I apologize if the clues make no sense to folks who are familiar with the stories.

Feel free to use these books for any other challenges you may be doing.
Rereads are fine as long as you reread the entire book. No skimming!
You may post as you go and change your list at any time.

You have from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013 to complete the challenge.

Choose your level:
Raisenettes: 6 – 9 books
Junior Mints: 10 - 14 books
Milk Duds: 15 – 18 books
Large Popcorn with Extra Butter: all 20 books

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll ~ Read the Book –OR- any book in which a character is transported from their own world to another –OR- any book in which the main character is under the age of 18

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book that includes sibling characters –OR- any book with talking animals

3. Contact by Carl Sagan ~ Read the book –OR- any book with a scientist or mathematician as a primary character –OR- any book in which characters come into contact with, or attempt to contact, a previously unknown race of beings

4. Dracula by Bram Stoker ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which a primary character is a vampire -OR- a book including an insane character

5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury ~ Read the book –OR- any book with fire depicted on the cover –OR- read a book from this list of Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000-2009

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~ Read the book –OR- any book including a mad scientist/doctor –OR- any book involving dead creatures that are reanimated (zombies, revenants, some vampires, etc)

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book in which the main characters spend time at school (magic or mundane) –OR- any book set in England

8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams ~ Read the book –OR- read any book that involves aliens –OR- any humorous book that makes you laugh

9. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein ~ Read the book –OR- any fantasy book – OR- any book by an author who uses initials instead of their first name

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ Read any book in the trilogy –OR- a book in which a bow and arrow is the weapon of choice –OR- a book that is part of any other trilogy

11. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice ~ Read the book –OR- any book set in New Orleans –OR- any book in which one character plots the murder of another

12. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which the characters visit a theme park or amusement park -OR- any sci-fi book

13. 1984 by George Orwell ~ Read the book –OR- any dystopian novel –OR- any book involving mind control

14. The Princess Bride by William Goldman ~ Read the book –OR- any book involving swordplay –OR- a book with a pirate character (space pirates count, too!)

15. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which the main character is a member of the military or a veteran –OR- any book set prior to 1900

16. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein ~ Read the book –OR- any book that involves space travel –OR- any book from this list of Hugo Awards for Best Novel (You may read a winner or a nominee)

17. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells ~ Read the book –OR- any book that involves time travel –OR- any steampunk novel

18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern ~ Read the book –OR- a book that takes place, at least in part, on a boat or submarine –OR- a book (fiction or nonfiction) that includes water dwelling creatures (mermaids, selkies, Jacques Cousteau, etc)

19. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book set in the Pacific Northwest (U.S. states of Oregon, Washington, and the Canadian province of British Columbia) -OR- any Young Adult novel

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke ~ Read the book –OR- any book that takes place in outer space –OR- any book that features Artificial Intelligence (computers or robots able to think for themselves)

Bonus books:

You may read these books in addition to the 20 above OR you may use them as alternates for any book above. Each alternate book may be used only once, so that’s two possible substitutions.

For example, if you’re stuck on #17 and just can’t come up with a book you want to read for that category, you can fulfill one of the bonus books and use it in place of #17. Just make sure to let me know you’re substituting.

#1: I am very excited about the release of the film Ender’s Game in November of 2013, so I just had to include it as a bonus book.
To earn this bonus book, either read the book Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card –OR- any book in which people are pawns in someone’s game –OR- any book with an ending the took you completely by surprise.

#2: Each player may pick any one book-turned-movie of their choice that is not on the above list and use it as a substitution. As with all of the books above, you may either read the book itself –OR- another book for which you can make a connection to the book/movie. Just make sure to explain your logic if you go with this second option.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments reserved

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments reserved

message 4: by Jenika (new)

Jenika | 22 comments I'm in! Great challenge Christine!

message 5: by Ashley Marie (last edited May 27, 2013 08:11PM) (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments This is awesome! Count me in for the "Large Popcorn" level!

Completed 22/22
Challenge Completed 5/27

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Read any book in which a character is transported from their own world to another:
Monster Hunter Vendetta (1/10)

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Read any book with talking animals:
Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love (1/13)

3. Contact by Carl Sagan
Read any book with a scientist or mathematician as a primary character:
Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain (2/8)

4. Dracula by Bram Stoker
Read any book in which a primary character is a vampire:
The Alchemyst (1/23)

5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Read any book with fire depicted on the cover:
Red Seas Under Red Skies (2/24)

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Read any book including a mad scientist/doctor:
Angelmaker (2/28)

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Read any book set in England:
The Naming of the Beasts (4/19)

8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Read any humorous book that makes you laugh:
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir (1/1)

9. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein
Read any book by an author who uses initials instead of their first name:
Born at Midnight|C.C. Hunter (2/19)

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Read a book in which a bow and arrow is the weapon of choice:
Poison Princess (2/17)

11. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
Read any book in which one character plots the murder of another:
Prodigy (3/11)

12. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Read any sci-fi book:
The Gone-Away World (4/20)

13. 1984 by George Orwell
Read any book involving mind control:
The Atrocity Archives (1/21)

14. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Read any book involving swordplay:
The Six-Gun Tarot (3/10)

15. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Read any book in which the main character is a member of the military or a veteran:
Monster Hunter Alpha (2/4)

16. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
Read any book from this list of Hugo Awards for Best Novel:
The Windup Girl (5/27)

17. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Read any book that involves time travel:
The House on the Strand (3/17)

18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern
Read a book that takes place, at least in part, on a boat or submarine:
Katya's World (1/17)

19. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
Read any Young Adult novel:
The Crown of Embers (1/20)

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
Read any book that features Artificial Intelligence:
Scarlet (3/11)

Bonus book: Ender's Game
Read any book with an ending the took you completely by surprise:
Thicker Than Water (1/17)

Bonus Book #2: The Last Unicorn
Last Unicorn: The Deluxe Edition (1/3)

Completed:
Monster Hunter Vendetta (MHI, #2) by Larry Correia Fables, Vol. 3 Storybook Love by Bill Willingham Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5) by Mike Carey Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu The Gone-Away World  by Nick Harkaway The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher Monster Hunter Alpha (MHI, #3) by Larry Correia The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1) by Jonathan L. Howard The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) by Rae Carson Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4) by Mike Carey Last Unicorn The Deluxe Edition by Peter S. Beagle

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
LOVE this!!! Christine, you have totally outdone yourself. I'll be going straight for the popcorn with extra butter! :D

A number of these books are on my TBR list. I'll be doing a couple of re-reads along with a few exchanges of my own. I can't wait to get started!

message 7: by Nakeesha (new)

Nakeesha (ninkey) This is awesome!!!

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

3. Contact by Carl Sagan

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley DONE

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling DONE

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins DONE

17. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells DONE

19. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer DONE

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke DONE

BONUS
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card DONE

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments I'll give this a try! Will post my stats template later.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Welcome! I'm glad to see people excited about our first yearly challenge.

message 10: by Amyiw (last edited Apr 27, 2013 06:11PM) (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments Raisenette 0/6
Large Popcorn 7/21
What I mean... I will get to at least 6 of the original books, no substitutes or alternatives, but will get all the rest done with the alternatives and 1 substitute of my choice. Since I have read 6 of the books so they will most likely be filled by an alternative as I don't want to do too much re-reading. I'll mark them as previously read.

DONE 1. previousAlice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
alt. Wicked as They Come by Delilah Dawson. (Character transported to alternate reality)

DONE 2. previousThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
alt. Hammered by Keven Hearne. (Talking irish wolfhound)

3. Contact by Carl Sagan

DONE 6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley Don't have any want to read this one. Using alternative zombies
alt. Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Fights dead creatures/zombies, live zombies too.

DONE 7. previousHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
alt Soulless by Gail Carriger. (Set in England)

DONE 8. previousThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
alt Born of Ice by Sherrilyn Kenyon (aliens and outer space)

DONE 9. previousThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein
alt. Ceremony in Death by J.D. Robb (author uses initials)

DONE 12. previousJurassic Park by Michael Crichton
alt Born of Shadows by Sherrilyn Kenyon (scifi)

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clark

BONUS
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia #1-7) by C.S. Lewis Contact by Carl Sagan Dracula by Bram Stoker Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Frankenstein by Mary Shelley Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams The Hobbit (Middle-earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton 1984 by George Orwell The Princess Bride by William Goldman A Princess of Mars (John Carter of Mars / Barsoom, #1) by Edgar Rice Burroughs Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein The Time Machine by H.G. Wells Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer 2001 A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) by Arthur C. Clarke Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card
alternative covers
Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1) by Delilah S. Dawson Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) by Kevin Hearne Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Born of Ice (The League, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5) by J.D. Robb Born of Shadows (The League, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 192 comments Fun! I' m trying for a Large Popcorn, or at least Milk Duds.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Amyiw wrote: "Raisenette 0/6

Can we put other books to movies as substitutions for the ones you listed?
Example "The Time Traveler's Wife"
I'm sure there are others like Nicolas Sparks' books, Benjimin Button..."

I've been thinking about this. Since I added my personal pick of Ender's Game as a substition, I'll allow each player ONE other book-to-movie of their choice for a second substitution. Just make sure to tell us how you tied it in, if you don't read the book-turned-movie itself.

I'll add this to the original directions.

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Ashley Marie wrote: "This is awesome! Count me in for the "Large Popcorn" level!

Completed 1/21"

Wow! Someone is on a roll already!

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Please not that I have amended the original directions to now allow for TWO possible bonus books.

message 15: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Christine wrote: "Ashley Marie wrote: "This is awesome! Count me in for the "Large Popcorn" level!

Completed 1/21"

Wow! Someone is on a roll already!"

It was a quick read, and I had the day off. :)

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jan 02, 2013 12:01PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments Danielle's UF The 2013 Books to Movies Yearly Challenge

Welcome to the group’s first yearly challenge!

I think we can agree that the book is almost always better than the movie. But what’s even better than the book? A challenge based on those books-turned-movies!

Listed below are twenty books (urban fantasy, science fiction, and fantasy) that have been made into movies (some more than once). You have the option of reading the book itself or reading a different book that fulfills one of the alternate suggestions. I have not read all of these books or seen all of these movies, so I apologize if the clues make no sense to folks who are familiar with the stories.

Feel free to use these books for any other challenges you may be doing.
Rereads are fine as long as you reread the entire book. No skimming!
You may post as you go and change your list at any time.

You have from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013 to complete the challenge.

Level: Large Popcorn with Extra Butter: all 20 books

Update:

Completed: X/20

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll ~ Read the Book –OR- any book in which a character is transported from their own world to another –OR- any book in which the main character is under the age of 18

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book that includes sibling characters –OR- any book with talking animals

3. Contact by Carl Sagan ~ Read the book –OR- any book with a scientist or mathematician as a primary character –OR- any book in which characters come into contact with, or attempt to contact, a previously unknown race of beings

4. Dracula by Bram Stoker ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which a primary character is a vampire -OR- a book including an insane character

5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury ~ Read the book –OR- any book with fire depicted on the cover –OR- read a book from this list of Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000-2009

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~ Read the book –OR- any book including a mad scientist/doctor –OR- any book involving dead creatures that are reanimated (zombies, revenants, some vampires, etc)

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book in which the main characters spend time at school (magic or mundane) –OR- any book set in England

8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams ~ Read the book –OR- read any book that involves aliens –OR- any humorous book that makes you laugh

9. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein ~ Read the book –OR- any fantasy book – OR- any book by an author who uses initials instead of their first name

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ Read any book in the trilogy –OR- a book in which a bow and arrow is the weapon of choice –OR- a book that is part of any other trilogy

11. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice ~ Read the book –OR- any book set in New Orleans –OR- any book in which one character plots the murder of another

12. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which the characters visit a theme park or amusement park -OR- any sci-fi book

13. 1984 by George Orwell ~ Read the book –OR- any dystopian novel –OR- any book involving mind control

14. The Princess Bride by William Goldman ~ Read the book –OR- any book involving swordplay –OR- a book with a pirate character (space pirates count, too!)

15. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which the main character is a member of the military or a veteran –OR- any book set prior to 1900

16. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein ~ Read the book –OR- any book that involves space travel –OR- any book from this list of Hugo Awards for Best Novel (You may read a winner or a nominee)

17. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells ~ Read the book –OR- any book that involves time travel –OR- any steampunk novel

18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern ~ Read the book –OR- a book that takes place, at least in part, on a boat or submarine –OR- a book (fiction or nonfiction) that includes water dwelling creatures (mermaids, selkies, Jacques Cousteau, etc)

19. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book set in the Pacific Northwest (U.S. states of Oregon, Washington, and the Canadian province of British Columbia) -OR- any Young Adult novel

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke ~ Read the book –OR- any book that takes place in outer space –OR- any book that features Artificial Intelligence (computers or robots able to think for themselves)

Bonus books:

You may read these books in addition to the 20 above OR you may use them as alternates for any book above. Each alternate book may be used only once, so that’s two possible substitutions.

For example, if you’re stuck on #17 and just can’t come up with a book you want to read for that category, you can fulfill one of the bonus books and use it in place of #17. Just make sure to let me know you’re substituting.

#1: I am very excited about the release of the film Ender’s Game in November of 2013, so I just had to include it as a bonus book.
To earn this bonus book, either read the book Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card –OR- any book in which people are pawns in someone’s game –OR- any book with an ending the took you completely by surprise.

#2: Each player may pick any one book-turned-movie of their choice that is not on the above list and use it as a substitution. As with all of the books above, you may either read the book itself –OR- another book for which you can make a connection to the book/movie. Just make sure to explain your logic if you go with this second option.

message 17: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) In post later!

message 18: by Yvette (new)

Yvette | 4 comments I'm going for the popcorn with extra, extra butter. This challenge will be lots for fun. Will post books shortly.

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments I am in...I am going for the Milk Dud category

1 Dracula by Bram Stoker
2 Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
3 Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
4 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
5 The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein
6 The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
7 Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
8 1984 by George Orwell
9 The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
10 Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern
11 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
12 Contact by Carl Sagan

Substitutions
Artificial Intelligence: I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
Set in England: V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
Space travel: Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

message 20: by Jenika (last edited Dec 17, 2013 08:16PM) (new)

Jenika | 22 comments So excited about this challenge! Milk duds for me!

Completed 15/15 (Dec 16)

✓1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (1/29)
✓2. The Chronicles of Narnia ~ The Penderwicks (sibling characters) (2/4)
3. Contact
✓4. Dracula ~ Vampire Academy (vampire primary character) (11/13)
✓5. Fahrenheit 451 ~ The Perks of Being a Wallflower (banned book) (10/27)
6. Frankenstein
✓7. Harry Potter ~ Anna and the French Kiss (characters spend time at school) (9/25)
✓8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ~ First Grave on the Right (humour) (1/20)
✓9. The Hobbit ~ Moon Called (any fantasy) (3/26)
✓10. The Hunger Games (1/9)
✓11. Interview with the Vampire ~ Real Murders (character plots another's murder) (30/11)
12. Jurassic Park
✓13. 1984 ~ Catching Fire (dystopia) (12/16)
14. The Princess Bride
15. A Princess of Mars
✓16. Starship Troopers ~ Among Others (Hugo Award) (11/8)
✓17. The Time Machine ~ Soulless (steampunk) (2/14)
18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
✓19. Twilight ~ Beautiful Creatures (young adult) (3/28)
20. 2001: A Space Odyssey
Bonus books:
✓21. Ender's Game ~ Torn (pawn in someone else's game) (9/9)
✓22. My Choice The Worst Witch (Completed 1/25 and followed by rest of the series! Love The Worst Witch! Some were rereads from childhood. I loved the TV series too.)

Completed:
First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1) by Jill Murphy Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Torn by Cat Clarke Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Among Others by Jo Walton Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Real Murders (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery #1) by Charlaine Harris Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

message 21: by Butterflycager (new)

Butterflycager | 15 comments Great challenge! I'll take the Large Popcorn with Extra Butter level.

Completed: 0/22

Bonus books:

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Welcome to everyone that's signed up! I hope you have fun with this challenge.

message 23: by Cassie (last edited Apr 02, 2013 10:05AM) (new)

Cassie (csheffield) 13/22

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll ~
under the age of 18 Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger 02/18

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis ~
talking animals Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews 01/31

3. Contact by Carl Sagan ~ ...

4. Dracula by Bram Stoker ~
a primary character is a vampire Bitter Blood by Rachel Caine 02/07

5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury ~
any book with fire depicted on the cover Midnight Riot by Peter Grant 03/27

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~
creatures that are reanimated Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion 02/05

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling ~
set in England The Darkling Thrush by Josh Lanyon 02/08

8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams ~ ...

9. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein ~
any fantasy book The Spirit Theif by Rachel Aaron 03/19

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ ...

11. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice ~
one character plots the murder of another Widow’s Web by Jennifer Estep 01/20

12. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton ~ ...

13. 1984 by George Orwell ~
any book involving mind control Hounded by Kevin Hearne 03/17

14. The Princess Bride by William Goldman ~
swordplay Geekomancy by Michael R Underwood 02/05

15. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs ~
the main character is a veteran The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 04/02

16. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein ~ ...

17. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells ~ ...

18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern ~
on a boat Cold Days by Jim Butcher 01/01

19. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer ~ ...

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke ~...

Bonus books:

#1:Ender’s Game
people are pawns in someone’s game Heist Society-Ally Carter 03/05

#2: book-turned-movie ...

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Almost a quarter of the way through the year! How is everyone doing on this challenge?

I completely forgot to update my own list and now I have to go back through the books I've read and try to remember if any of them fit these categories. Oops!

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Ashley Marie wrote: "This is awesome! Count me in for the "Large Popcorn" level!

Completed 19/22"

Wow! Almost done!

message 26: by Jenika (new)

Jenika | 22 comments Really enjoying this challenge Christine. Am about a quarter of the way through so on schedule. Congrats to Ashley Marie so far - wow that's great! :)

message 27: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 86 comments I got Dracula from audible for 99 cents after "buying" the free Kindle version and adding the Whispersync for Kindle for $0.99.
the Kindle version with offer is--
http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-ebook/d...

It has Alan Cumming and Tim Curry as part of the reading cast.

message 28: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Thanks, guys! One more to go :)

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Amyiw wrote: "I got Dracula from audible for 99 cents after "buying" the free Kindle version and adding the Whispersync for Kindle for $0.99.
the Kindle version with offer is--
http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-ebo..."

Thanks for the tip. I just picked it up myself!

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Jenika wrote: "Really enjoying this challenge Christine. Am about a quarter of the way through so on schedule. Congrats to Ashley Marie so far - wow that's great! :)"

I'm glad you're enjoying the challenge!

message 31: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Done! This was so much fun, Christine!

Completed 22/22
Challenge Completed 5/27

Read any book in which a character is transported from their own world to another:
Monster Hunter Vendetta (1/10)

Read any book with talking animals:
Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love (1/13)

3. Contact by Carl Sagan
Read any book with a scientist or mathematician as a primary character:
Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain (2/8)

Read any book in which a primary character is a vampire:
The Alchemyst (1/23)

Read any book with fire depicted on the cover:
Red Seas Under Red Skies (2/24)

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Read any book including a mad scientist/doctor:
Angelmaker (2/28)

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Read any book set in England:
The Naming of the Beasts (4/19)

Read any humorous book that makes you laugh:
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir (1/1)

Read any book by an author who uses initials instead of their first name:
Born at Midnight|C.C. Hunter (2/19)

Read a book in which a bow and arrow is the weapon of choice:
Poison Princess (2/17)

Read any book in which one character plots the murder of another:
Prodigy (3/11)

Read any sci-fi book:
The Gone-Away World (4/20)

Read any book involving mind control:
The Atrocity Archives (1/21)

Read any book involving swordplay:
The Six-Gun Tarot (3/10)

Read any book in which the main character is a member of the military or a veteran:
Monster Hunter Alpha (2/4)

Read any book from this list of Hugo Awards for Best Novel:
The Windup Girl (5/27)

Read any book that involves time travel:
The House on the Strand (3/17)

Read a book that takes place, at least in part, on a boat or submarine:
Katya's World (1/17)

Read any Young Adult novel:
The Crown of Embers (1/20)

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
Read any book that features Artificial Intelligence:
Scarlet (3/11)

Bonus book: Ender's Game
Read any book with an ending the took you completely by surprise:
Thicker Than Water (1/17)

Bonus Book #2: The Last Unicorn
Last Unicorn: The Deluxe Edition (1/3)

Completed:
Monster Hunter Vendetta (MHI, #2) by Larry Correia Fables, Vol. 3 Storybook Love by Bill Willingham Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5) by Mike Carey Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu The Gone-Away World  by Nick Harkaway The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher Monster Hunter Alpha (MHI, #3) by Larry Correia The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1) by Jonathan L. Howard The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) by Rae Carson Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4) by Mike Carey Last Unicorn The Deluxe Edition by Peter S. Beagle

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Ashley Marie wrote: "Done! This was so much fun, Christine!

Completed 22/22

Challenge Completed 5/27"

Congratulations, Ashely Marie! Great job.

message 33: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments Thank you :D

message 35: by Erica (new)

Erica | 2 comments Challenge ACCEPTED! I'm in although starting a little late. I have read some of these earlier this year without seeing this challenge. I'll update later today or tomorrow. How fun!

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Erica wrote: "Challenge ACCEPTED! I'm in although starting a little late. I have read some of these earlier this year without seeing this challenge. I'll update later today or tomorrow. How fun!"

Welcome to the challenge! Feel free to back date to the beginning of the year with books you've already read.

message 37: by ~Brandy~ (new)

~Brandy~ | 3 comments Okay I am going for Milk Duds. So far, so good! I will add books as I read them. :)

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll ~ any book in which a character is transported from their own world to another
Touch of the Demon

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis ~ any book that includes sibling characters
Ninth Key

4. Dracula by Bram Stoker ~ any book in which a primary character is a vampire
A Discovery of Witches

5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury ~ any book with fire depicted on the cover
Ever After

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~any book involving dead creatures that are reanimated (zombies, revenants, some vampires, etc)
Brains: A Zombie Memoir

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling ~ Read any book in which the main characters spend time at school (magic or mundane)
Shadowland

8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams ~ Read any humorous book that makes you laugh
First Grave on the Right

9. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein ~ Read any fantasy book
Second Grave on the Left

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ Read a book that is part of any other trilogy
Fire

11. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice ~ Read the any book in which one character plots the murder of another
The Mage in Black

13. 1984 by George Orwell ~ Read any dystopian novel
Under the Never Sky

14. The Princess Bride by William Goldman ~ Read any book involving swordplay
Dragon's Keep

18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern ~ Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) that includes water dwelling creatures (mermaids, selkies, Jacques Cousteau, etc)
Paranormalcy

19. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer ~ Read any Young Adult novel
Witches of East End

Bonus books:

message 38: by Venture (new)

Venture | 7 comments cool.....I've read most of these

message 39: by Jenika (new)

Jenika | 22 comments Finished! 15/15 Milk Duds. This was a great challenge Christine! :)

Completed:
First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1) by Jill Murphy Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Torn by Cat Clarke Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Among Others by Jo Walton Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Real Murders (An Aurora Teagarden Mystery #1) by Charlaine Harris Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

message 40: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Finished! #34 24/22 "Large Popcorn with Extra Butter: all 20+ books"

message 41: by Jenika (new)

Jenika | 22 comments Congratulations Julia!

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Congratulations Julia and Jenika!

message 43: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Is anyone interested in another yearly challenge? I'm thinking maybe something a little simpler, like a reading a certain number of books with certain types of characters, like aliens, zombies, wizards, elves, etc.

message 44: by Greg (new)

Greg | 25 comments I'd be happy for a yearly challenge of any type if you have the time and inclination to throw one together. :)