The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kylie (new)

Kylie G have just been to see the film jack reacher which is based on the character invented by lee child. the film was very good, enough action and in keeping with the story. the film is based on the book called one shot. would be interested to hear what people think of the film, whether it kept to the book and what people think of toms portrayal of jack.

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Guilfoy | 8 comments I'm taking my dad to see it tomorrow. He's a fan, but I'm only about halfway through reading Killing Floor, the first in the series. The film seems to be getting positive reviews, and I think I'll be able to appreciate the difference between literary Reacher and Tom Cruise Reacher.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments My plan is to see it, hopefully sometime this weekend. I have not read the Jack Reacher books yet, and I'm kind of happy about that. This way I won't go into the movie with Jack Reacher (book character) in my head. I will have a different prospective about him.

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean Peters | 155 comments Just watched the film !! Jack Reacher

book 9 out 10

film 6 to 7 out of 10

Rosamund Pike is the strongest performance in the film, I was very let down with characters missing and huge plots missing, I cannot and will not give any more detail not do give too much away.

When you see it you realise what characters are missing.

message 5: by Walter (new)

Walter Danley (walterdanley) | 44 comments When I read the Tom Cruise would play Reacher, I couldn't figure out how a guy 5'-6" could play 6'-5", but after seeing the flick, ol' Tom pulled it off just fine! Reacher is an attitude and Cruise got that right (more likely the screen writer did.)
Walter Danley
www.walterdanley.com

message 6: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Harmon | 9 comments I'm not sure I want to see the movie. I've read all the books and like them, but they're hyper-violent - and while I don't mind reading the fight scenes, I'm not sure I want to see them.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean Peters | 155 comments The fight scenes are a lot milder than the scenes used in the books. The books can explain more detail which cannot be explained on film. One reason Tom Cruise cannot be believed a a massive killing machine like Jack reacher

message 8: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments I love Jack. I truly dislike Tom Cruise. I make it a point not to watch any movie with him in it. The fact that he is now, in LALA Land, Reacher, does not change my "No Cruise, Ever" rule. If anything...it reinforces it.

Part of me wants the movie to do well in order to promote the books, but another part of me would like it to flop. I'm not proud of that, but there it is. (sigh)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Jeanie, I can understand where you're coming from. I want them to regret miscasting Reacher so badly.

message 10: by Anita (last edited Jan 04, 2013 04:11PM) (new)

Anita | 27 comments I'm reading the second in author David Baldacci's series about John Puller, called The Forgotten. The first is Zero Day. I see a very strong resemblance between John Puller and Jack Reacher - both are very tall, army guys (one a Special Agent, the other an MP), similar kick-ass style...anyone else? Oh yes, and very, very good to read!

message 11: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 179 comments Anita wrote: "I'm reading the second in author David Baldacci's series about John Puller, called The Forgotten. The first is Zero Day. I see a very strong resemblance between John Puller and Jack Reacher - both ..."

I have just read a review in the reviews thread re zero day where Mark the reviewer states the same about the resemblence between the 2 charachters

message 12: by D (last edited Jan 06, 2013 09:38AM) (new)

D | 6 comments I agree with Walter. I'm a total fan of the Reacher series and was worried they'd chosen the wrong book and the wrong male lead to make for a movie. But I was pleasantly surprised! It worked for me! Of course, being such a fan of the books may mean I'm biased. :-)

One pleasant surprise was the fresh take on the story and character. As other's pointed out, they couldn't go into great detail about the violent scenes as the books often do. As a result, Cruise's Reacher came off as more thoughtful, whip smart, even intuitive.

I personally loved the fresh approach. Made the story new again for me.

message 13: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Afsana wrote: "Anita wrote: "I'm reading the second in author David Baldacci's series about John Puller, called The Forgotten. The first is Zero Day. I see a very strong resemblance between John Puller and Jack R..."

I commented on the similarities when "Zero Day" first came out. He's
pretty much a mix between Reacher & Robert Crais' Joe Pike.

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin Baker | 2 comments I wanted to vomit when I saw Tom Cruiz casted as Reacher. I'm thinking "did they read the books at all?!" I think Hugh Jackman would be perfect!! Big, rough, sexy, silent, bad ass! Who would you have casted? I want to know what everyone else's ideas are!

message 15: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 239 comments Too much is made of Cruise's height. I thought it was a decent film. Not the best I've ever seen, but not worthy of the flak that it seems to have attracted.

Besides, anybody that starred in cocktail will always be a hero in my eyes!

message 16: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 411 comments Robin wrote: "Who would you have casted? I want to know what everyone else's ideas are!"

Here's your topic: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

Including reports from people who actually saw the movie and praise Cruise on his performance. Lee Child gave Cruise his blessing. It's not just about height.

message 17: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 536 comments If you scroll up on this email, you will see I think
now that Timothy Oliphant would make a good Reacher.

message 18: by Sean (new)

Sean Peters | 155 comments Hi

the answer to who would you cast is a difficult one, I enjoyed Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible and other roles. But I believe not only was it bad casting, it was a weak story to the story in the book. But as mentioned it is hard to find a great actor who is 6 foot 5 inches and 250 pounds, but just keeping the script nearer to the book would have helped. Sadly Tom Cruise is not good enough physically for the role realisticly.

regards

Sean

message 19: by Terry (new)

Terry Huebner (TerryHuebner) | 17 comments I recently saw the movie and liked it. While Cruise isn't the perfect Reacher, he does a pretty good job and the film is worth seeing. My wife, for example, liked it better than the recent Bond film. I also agree that Baldacci's Puller character seems stolen from the Reacher series. While okay, the Reacher books are much better.

message 20: by Terry (new)

Terry Huebner (TerryHuebner) | 17 comments As for the plot, they changed the location of the ending,which I think was a mistake. Without spoiling it for others, I thought the setting in the book was superior, particularly the ending.

message 21: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 389 comments I was certainly not a fan of the choice of Tom Cruise for Jack Rearcher, but I saw the movie and liked it. I thought Cruise carried the role off well. He actually seemed larger in the movie and used martial arts skills to overcome the bad guys rather than size and strength. He had Reacher's confidence and additude right. It has been years since I read the book so I can't comment much on how closely the movie followed the book storyline. It did fit with what I recalled, but can't be sure on details. I would suggest giving it a try, I think you'll like it.

message 22: by D (new)

D | 6 comments Terry wrote: "As for the plot, they changed the location of the ending,which I think was a mistake. Without spoiling it for others, I thought the setting in the book was superior, particularly the ending."

You should give it a go anyway. Many folks said the same thing, including me; yet were surprised to find we liked the movie. A matinee is roughly the cost of a trip to McDonalds these days and I assure you you'll like it better than McDonalds.

message 23: by Mira (new)

Mira (mirarad) A friend recommended the Reacher series to me. I read 'The Killing Floor' and then went out and bought every book through the current and read one book a day until I was caught up. Lee Child and Baldacci are definitely two of my favorites.

I felt the same way about Puller when I first read 'Zero Day'. Too much like Reacher and I feel Reacher is better. Could be because by the time 'Zero Day' came out, Reacher was already established. Haven't read the second Puller novel.

As for Tom Cruise cast as Reacher, no! Someone commented above that too many people make an issue about the height (something to that effect) but Reacher's size is so important to his whole character. It's mentioned in more than one book how Reacher's mother advised him to give people a chance to walk away (before he beats the c*** out of them). His size intimidates people or drives them to challenge him. He isn't picked up from his hitchhiking because of his size. Not to mention how Lee Child came up with the name of his character. It was due to Child's height. So height was a factor in creating Jack Reacher. Reacher, in my mind, is attractive in a rugged sort of way. Tom Cruise is too pretty. I'm also not a big Tom Cruise fan. I thought I read somewhere that Cruise was the one who spearheaded the idea of bringing Reacher to the screen. If that is true, then Cruise is a reader and gets a thumbs up from me! At least he has good taste in books :)

I read 'One Shot' so long ago, that I don't clearly remember details so I'm sure that any changes made would be foggy to me. Books are always better than their movie counterparts. I'll wait for the DVD.

message 24: by Joyce (last edited Jan 16, 2013 09:49AM) (new)

Joyce Harmon | 9 comments " Who would you have casted?"

Ideally? Liam Neeson.

message 25: by D (last edited Jan 16, 2013 04:50PM) (new)

D | 6 comments >>Reacher's size is so important to his whole character. <<

Yes, this movie brings a fresh approach to the story. It's not exactly like the book. And yet it's a good movie.

Huh...how 'bout that.

message 26: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 536 comments Hey, Once again, How about Timothy Oliphant!!!!!!!

message 27: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 389 comments Georgia wrote: "Hey, Once again, How about Timothy Oliphant!!!!!!!"

I think Timothy Oliphant would have been a much better choice than Liam Neeson or Harrison Ford. They are too old for the role. However, it is all moot. The movie has already been made and is playing in theaters with Tom Cruise as star. It's too late to recast it now. I suggest going to see the movie and judging the movie based on what was on the screen. Personally, I saw it and liked it.

message 28: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne (rosannema) | 4 comments Robin wrote: "I wanted to vomit when I saw Tom Cruiz casted as Reacher. I'm thinking "did they read the books at all?!" I think Hugh Jackman would be perfect!! Big, rough, sexy, silent, bad ass! Who would you ha..."

You read my mind!

message 29: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 209 comments Rosanne wrote: "Big, rough, sexy, silent, bad ass!"

You called?

message 30: by Glenn (last edited Mar 03, 2013 07:06AM) (new)

Glenn Muller | 28 comments Hi all, I guess I've been out of the loop since I haven't read any Jack Reacher novels (pauses for collective gasp).

I aim to rectify that oversight, but my question is this: For the percentage of the population that have not read the novels but go to see the movie - would the casting of Cruise be an issue?

message 31: by D (last edited Mar 03, 2013 09:46AM) (new)

D | 6 comments For the percentage of the population that have not read the novels but go to see the movie - would the casting of Cruise be an issue?

Short answer: no.

Cruise does a good job and actually makes a limited script a bit more interesting than it would be otherwise. Those who've seen the show typically gave it a 4-out-of-5 type rating with limitations being primarily script related. The main actors all do a good job, some (Rosamund Pike, Cruise) actually a very good job. they make the movie entertaining.

As I said before, the movie has a slightly different emphasis on Reacher's character - more emphasis on his quick mind and intuitive ability to sniff out what's going on behind a veil of deceit. Really, it's a fresh, enjoyable way to play it.

message 32: by Glenn (last edited Mar 04, 2013 03:54PM) (new)

Glenn Muller | 28 comments Which brings up my next question:

Are there not some elements of a book (like the physical appearance of it's MC) that shouldn't be messed with?

For example, all the best Holmes' are tall and gaunt - David Suchet made an excellent Poirot but would not be a good Sherlock.

message 33: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 411 comments Glenn wrote: "Are there not some elements of a book (like the physical appearance of it's MC) that shouldn't be messed with?"

Careful what you ask for. As I pointed out in another thread, Ian Fleming described James Bond as looking like Hoagy Carmichael, which would have disqualified Sean Connery from the role. Similarly, Ludlum described Jason Bourne as being tall and blond, which would have been bad news for Matt Damon. George Smiley has been played by actors as diverse as Gary Oldman, James Mason, Alec Guinness and Denholm Elliott (Marcus Brody in the Indiana Jones films), and none of them really looked much like Le Carre's description of a round little man in glasses.

message 34: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Mora (OriginalPixie) Just tossing my two cents in here: I think sometimes looks disparities can be forgiven, if the actor can really sum up the spirit of the character. But when the character is altered too much or the actor is just miscast (See Denzel Washington for Lincoln Rhyme -- I just didn't feel that he really captured the character, and how often does Denzel Washington miss the mark? Rarely), it just doesn't work out.

I'm not a huge Jack Reacher fan, so to me Tom Cruise's casting was silly, but not offensive. He did okay as far as the movie needed him to, and for once I didn't feel like he was just playing Ethan Hunt again, which I guess was a plus. The movie as a whole was kind of over the top in a lot of ways, but most people probably won't know or care.

message 35: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1364 comments I've never read any Reacher novels so, I'm looking foirward to the movie. I won't be disappointed that way.

message 36: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Mora (OriginalPixie) You should enjoy it then! It's a fun movie, a little crazy, but hey, I enjoyed it. Tom Cruise seemed to be having a lot of fun with it. And there are some very interesting concepts embedded in the story.

message 37: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1364 comments I'm sure I enjoyed him in the Mission Impossibles.

message 38: by Kyla (new)

Kyla Mora (OriginalPixie) I thought he did better in Jack Reacher than in the last couple of MI movies, for what that's worth! I loved the first MI film, so it was nice to see him so comfortable in a character, and it did feel different, in a way, from what I've seen him do before.

message 39: by Jim (last edited Mar 08, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Say what you will about Tom.

BUT you gotta like him in:

* Rain Man
* Top Gun
* Risky Business
* Collateral - One of the best films ever - Michael Mann, director. Of course, Jamie Fox stole the entire movie.

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Robinson | 19 comments Kylie wrote: "have just been to see the film jack reacher which is based on the character invented by lee child. the film was very good, enough action and in keeping with the story. the film is based on the bo..."

Hated it - I couldn't watch past the first 20 minutes. It's okay if you want to see a Tom Cruise film. But having been a huge Jack Reacher/Lee Child fan for many years, there's no way I can reconcile TC as JR. I won't be watching any sequels with TC, because I certainly do NOT want to picture Cruise when I read about Reacher. Cruise is completely antithetical to Reacher in every way.

message 41: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 536 comments Last night I watched the movie Knight and Day with Tom
Cruise. I was interested to see this as it was supposed to be a mystery and I wanted to see if he was
up to the JOB of being REACHER. He did OK and I liked
the comedic aspect of this movie along with Cruise's firmness which helped me imagine him as REACHER. Check it out.

message 42: by August (new)

August Wainwright (augustwainwright) | 31 comments Shannon wrote: "Kylie wrote: "have just been to see the film jack reacher which is based on the character invented by lee child. the film was very good, enough action and in keeping with the story. the film is b..."

Yea, I have to admit to never having read any of the Reacher novels. BUT, my wife is a huge fan. We were on the subway in London and I was flipping through the newspaper and showed her an article about how a whole section of London was shut down that weekend because Cruise was filming (it wasn't Reacher, think it was a movie called "All You Need is Kill"). In that same article, it talked about Cruise playing Jack Reacher and when I showed her, my wife had a fit right there on the crowded train. That was months ago and she's still pissed whenever there's a commercial.

message 43: by Sean (new)

I still cannot believe he was picked for the role, mainly he picked himself, as it was his production company. So many important characters in the book are missing from the film, and so much was changed for the film. Let's remember Jack Reacher often walks and takes everything in, he doesn't in the film at all, changed to a car chase, why?

I really believe if you have NOt read the books, the film is fine.

regards

Sean

message 44: by Sean (last edited Mar 11, 2013 04:59AM) (new)

Just finished 61 Hours, another great novel in the Reacher collection, not quite as fast paced as The Hard Way, but still great.

For the first time, correctly guessed the main killer.

Next book has to be Worth Dying For !

kind regards

Sean

message 45: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Tierney (MATierney) | 9 comments I think that Alex O'Loughlin is the right guy to play Reacher. He really has the screen presence.

message 46: by Sean (new)

Yes Alex is good in Hawaii Five O, and quite a good actor,would he big man with huge arms, blonde hair, 6 foot 5" tall. Not sure,is there any actor that could fit the physical actor and act !!

I am on my 9th Jack Reacher this year, if you have not read it Bad Luck and Trouble is great.

regards

Sean

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never read Lee Child. I'm excited about starting the Jack Reacher series with The Killing Floor.

message 48: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Robinson | 19 comments August wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Kylie wrote: "have just been to see the film jack reacher which is based on the character invented by lee child. the film was very good, enough action and in keeping with the story..."

Haha! I totally understand your wife's reaction - mine has been much the same. Lately the FB group has been promoting that "win the chevelle" contest from the movie -- I'm all SERIOUSLY? The REAL Reacher doesn't even have a driver's license and THIS is what they use to promote the DVD? Oh Hollywood. What have you done to our favorite character? It's a travesty and a tragedy.

message 49: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Robinson | 19 comments D wrote: "For the percentage of the population that have not read the novels but go to see the movie - would the casting of Cruise be an issue?

Short answer: no.

Cruise does a good job and actually makes ..."

I'm afraid I disagree - I didn't feel any of Jack Reacher in the performance. If I hadn't read any of the books, it would've been just another Tom Cruise film, fairly enjoyable...but I wouldn't have come away with any sense of who Reacher is supposed to be. I also would not have been inspired to read the book, just from watching the movie.
Luckily for me I've been a Reacher fan for several years and now I know enough to stay away from any other Reacher movies that star Tom Cruise. I mean, I always have lowered expectations of a movie if I've read the book, but this was worse than casting Randy Quaid as Det. Steve Carella from Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels.
And Matt Damon as Jason Bourne actually DID inspire me to read the books - and in reading them I felt that he had captured the essence of the character no matter what.

message 50: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8117 comments I enjoyed the movie and I liked Tom Cruise in the role of Jack Reacher. I know he's not nearly as tall as the Reacher character in the books but it didn't bother me.

« previous 1

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Killing Floor (other topics)
Zero Day (other topics)
The Forgotten (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Baldacci (other topics)