Stephen King Fans discussion

Son of Danse Macabre
This topic is about Son of Danse Macabre
Other Books (Non-King) > Son Of Danse Macabre

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bryce Wilson Hey fellow constant readers.

So a few months ago I finally completed an experiment I've working on for quite awhile. Like many of you I am sure I was/am a huge fan of Danse Macabre. Being able to carry around what amounted to a one on one conversation with my favorite author meant a lot to me and the book got me through many lonely times.

I always wished King would write a sequel, but finally realized he never would. So noticing that a neatly mirroring thirty year stretch of time had passed since the original I wrote a sequel for myself. Now a year and a half later its finally done. For sale on The Kindle and The Nook for as dirt cheap as I could bare to make it.

It follows the structure of Danse as closely as possible (I replace the chapter on Radio with one on Videogames and another on Comics and reverse the order of the television and films ones) and I would love to know what other Constant Readers make of it.

message 2: by Grant (new)

Grant Spendlove | 93 comments "Danse Macabre" is one of my favorites as well (I have a copy of the original hardcover, which a friend found in the trash, of all places!), and always wished King would write a sequel. I'd like to know:

1) What he thinks of the horror trends of the '80s, '90s and '00s, like the rise of the horror antihero monsters (Freddy, Jason, Pinhead, etc.) and their endless sequels.

2) Whether he's changed his opinion of Wes Craven (he says in the "Horror Movie as Junk Food" chapter, "....if you have seen one film by Wes Craven....it is safe enough, I think, to skip the others").

3) How he feels about the explosion of the newer adaptations of his work (it's known that he didn't much like "Graveyard Shift," but I've never heard him speak on "The Mangler" or the craziness of the "Children of the Corn" series).

4) What he thinks about the "splatterpunk" movement in horror fiction.

5) What he thinks of the resurgence of graphic violence on television and in the movies.

6) And I'd love to see a new list of "bests," so I know what to look for.

Bryce Wilson Grant did you ever take a look at the new edition of Danse Macabre? It has an essay that King wrote in Fangoria in 2010, and though he doesn't answer all the questions he does highlight some of his favorite films since Danse Macabre (and gives a damn good defense of Zack Snyder's Dawn Of The Dead that made me rethink my whole position on that film) and gives just enough offhand comments (he calls Rob Zombie's Halloween brilliant and then doesn't write another sentence about it) to make you crave another entry.

Your comments on 3) and 4) in particular intrigue me. I love his analysis of Carrie in Danse, and while he's a big supporter of the first Evil Dead I'd love to read his take on Peter Jackson.

message 4: by Grant (new)

Grant Spendlove | 93 comments Bryce wrote: "Grant did you ever take a look at the new edition of Danse Macabre? It has an essay that King wrote in Fangoria in 2010, and though he doesn't answer all the questions he does highlight some of his..."

I'm going to have to get my hands on that!