It It discussion

New Movie!!??

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig Stratton I love Stephen King's "IT". I hear they are making a new movie based on the book. This time it will be a theatrical release in two parts. I remember the TV versions scaring the daylights out of me when I was young, but it was not as scary as the book, in my opinion. Anybody excited to see this story done with a big budget? I'm about 70/30 excited.

Melissa I have hated clowns ever since that movie. To this day, I see them and get cold chills and have to leave.

Alma I'm always apprehensive when they do remakes but I really did enjoy the book, I couldn't sleep for weeks after!! The movie was ok for me, my kids enjoy it and every time we walk by a gutter one of us will say "We all float down here". I'll get more excited once I hear about casting, however we'll watch it anyway.

message 4: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Jan 02, 2013 01:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* We'll see if they finally do this. I don't like remakes, but this is one that needs remaking in my own opinion. They took one of the more frightening stories of all time to make it a cheesy, watered down TV movie. What a shame! They need to stick to the dark serious roots of the story and give it justice.

Thomas Young Erin wrote: "We'll see if they finally do this. I don't like remakes, but this is one that needs remaking in my own opinion. They took one of the more frightening movies of all time to make it a cheesy, watered..."

I agree completely, one f my all time favorite books and the movie sucked. Whoever cast that movie should get their A.C.S. guild card suspended. John Boy as the lead? John Ritter as Ben? Harry Anderson as ritchie? The only good adult cast member was Tim Curry as Pennywise.

Sad to say, but the kids out performed the adults, maybe because w/ the exception john boy, all the other actors where sitcom actors. Venus Flytrap was a main character and I'm supposed to get into this thing?

So, I hope and pray that a real producer, studio, and non slasher movie director get behind this, it could be awesome!

Mindy "It" was one of the first Stephen King novels I ever read and to this day would be one of my favourites. I liked the original movie as a child, however having watched it more recently I thought it was just ok so I'm really curious to see how the new movie will turn out. I just hope they don't ruin it!

Michelle Only Wants to Read Erin wrote: "We'll see if they finally do this. I don't like remakes, but this is one that needs remaking in my own opinion. They took one of the more frightening movies of all time to make it a cheesy, watered..."

I completely agree with you. The TV adaptation was a joke compared to the book. I was very upset and disappointed. IT is my absolute Stephen King's book. I hope they do a better job the second time around.

Melissa Sad to say, but the kids out performed the adults, maybe because w/ the exception john boy, all the other actors where sitcom actors. Venus Flytrap was a main character and I'm supposed to get into this thing?

John Ritter was the preacher on Walton's Mountain for about 5 yrs. He was also in a lot of drama movies.

Carla Wilson i made the mistake of watching the film before attempting to read the book, which for me ruined the book which i found hard to get into

message 10: by Vincent (last edited Jan 04, 2013 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vincent Stoia I also remember thinking that in the original, the kids were the best part. Who knows...It could be good. It's one of the few films that I think could benefit from a remake.

Jin Village by Vincent Stoia

message 11: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Brewer I loved the book. The movie also follows along with the book well (The movie is missing a lot of stuff from the book but it still lines up, there is no way they could have put the whole book in the movie its long enough as it is). Would have been better if the made two or three movies to cover everything in the book. So I would love to see one with everything in it.

message 12: by D.W. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.W. Brown I was around ten when I read it and it scared the heck out of me. I still loved it though. The TV version didn't impress me at all though. A movie sounds interesting.

message 13: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew Lennon I don't think they will ever be able to get a scarier pennywise than Tim Curry, for that reason alone a movie remake will be no good.

message 14: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene This book scared me. And then I watched the movie. Not a scary but good! No sure about a re make. Maybe leave well enough alone.

message 15: by Stepheny (last edited Jan 24, 2013 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stepheny I am really exacited. I just hope that it is an improvement from the first one. The only appropriate casting in the first one was Pennywise. I really want to see Sid Haig as the clown for the new one though! He was such a creepy clown in House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects, I just wanted to see him play a demented clown again! :) I really hope they get it right this time though. Bev was supposed to be a beautiful redhead both as child and adult. Her hair was closer to brown than red and the haiku seemed senseless in the movies! Grown up Ben should have been thin, toned and handsome- not looking like Al Boreland from Tool Time. And Bill just looked like dirty as an adult and was not how I pictured him either. I also want to see IT transform into all the other forms- the werewolf, the leper etc. I really wish they would include the "smoke-out" scene as well! That was one of my favorite parts of the book and if done properly could be one of the coolest scenes in the movie! The first one just didn't translate well on-screen and hopefully having a better budget will help with those improvements. I did love the first one- mostly because I love the book so much but also because no matter how bad a SK movie it is just a guilty pleasure with me!! And it did scare the crap out of me when I first watched it at 11 years old. I am EXTREMELY pumped for the new one! :)

Stepheny Thomas wrote: "Erin wrote: "We'll see if they finally do this. I don't like remakes, but this is one that needs remaking in my own opinion. They took one of the more frightening movies of all time to make it a c..."

I just saw your response, Thomas! Seems we think alike!

Caitlin Bronson I thought the mini-series did a lot of things well (mostly tone), but overall, the TV format and budget just weren't right for this book.

I'd love to see "It" done full justice in a money, provided the emphasis on friendship, bravery, & growing up is in tact. One thing I did like about the mini-series was that the bond between the Losers seemed just as sincere and strong as it was in the book. The kids were especially great.

I'd like to see the smoke hole scene too, as well as the house on Neibolt Street done justice.

Does anyone know if this movie is ACTUALLY in the works, though? Are they planning on moving forward with it any time soon?

Carina I agree with a lot of the previous posters that Tim Curry was the best actor in the film (which I just watched). I do kind of like the film, but think it could be done better with the improved CGI etc that exists now a days.

I also think that if they were to do a remake then they would need to match the actors better - it really bugged me that both young and old Beverley had brown hair not red and, although I wouldn't say that it detracted from my enjoyment of the film, it did annoy me. I was also surprised by a lot of the things they missed out (Derry destruction, the smoke out, the severe bullying) - I know that with films they need to condense things down but the film felt liked the childrens part took place over maybe 48 hours if that, whilst in the book it took place over an entire summer.

Holly Carina wrote: "I agree with a lot of the previous posters that Tim Curry was the best actor in the film (which I just watched). I do kind of like the film, but think it could be done better with the improved CGI ..."

I agree. I'm not too thrilled when they want to make theatrical releases of books such as "IT" and "The Stand" simply because Stephen King is THE king of DETAIL. There is simply too much in the books to ever be included in the movies, unless they make them six part series (such as Harry Potter) or an entire series on television - not just a mini-series.

message 20: by Myra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Myra Compton I'm so sorry, but I do not agree with any comment so far. I absolutely LOVE this movie, and as a serious collector of anything Stephen King, books, movies, ect...I have to say it's one of my favorites. As for casting, I feel Richard Thomas was perfect. The only character I believe could have been improved upon is Bev, but even then I hesitate because Annette O'Toole and John Ritter seemed to have such great chemistry together.
Don't get me wrong though, I'm not entirely opposed to a new movie being made, I just feel they have some high standards to live up to, in my honest opinion. The differences between the book and the movie only extend to make them both great works for vastly different reasons. My humble hope is, if they do re-make this movie they do such a superb job I will then have three outlets of this wonderful story to love!

Holly Myra wrote: "I'm so sorry, but I do not agree with any comment so far. I absolutely LOVE this movie, and as a serious collector of anything Stephen King, books, movies, ect...I have to say it's one of my favori..."

You shouldn't apologize for sharing your opinion :) I agree about Richard Thomas and Annette O'Toole - they were awesome in the movie. I personally LOVE Emily Perkins so I can't really say that they should've had a different person play Bev as a kid lol... They could have dyed her hair or something, though... and I thought Seth Green was GREAT as Richie!

message 22: by Myra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Myra Compton Holly wrote: "Myra wrote: "I'm so sorry, but I do not agree with any comment so far. I absolutely LOVE this movie, and as a serious collector of anything Stephen King, books, movies, ect...I have to say it's one..."

You are so right!

message 24: by Myra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Myra Compton Wasabi wrote: "IT http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AN..."

Thanks Wasabi! I love Tim Curry as Pennywise...he was in a couple Criminal Minds Episodes a while back, as well! He was just as scary LOL He does a bang-up job in every part he plays.

RARARARARAR hmm i haven't seen the movie but i have found it

message 26: by Krista (last edited Feb 19, 2013 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Krista Akers Erin wrote: "We'll see if they finally do this. I don't like remakes, but this is one that needs remaking in my own opinion. They took one of the more frightening stories of all time to make it a cheesy, watere..."

I completely agree! I love this story & I didn't hate the movie, but it is childish. They could make it horrific! I'd love to see if they could get Tim Curry to play Pennywise again. He was the only worthwhile actor in the first movie anyway. Johnathan Brandis didn't hurt either (gorgeous blue eyes <3)

message 27: by Krista (last edited Feb 19, 2013 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Krista Akers Holly wrote: "Myra wrote: "I'm so sorry, but I do not agree with any comment so far. I absolutely LOVE this movie, and as a serious collector of anything Stephen King, books, movies, ect...I have to say it's one..."

Seth Green was great as Ritchie :)

message 28: by Dean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dean MacAllister I found the book horrifying when I was a kid. I found the movie horrifyingly bad and it made no sense since they had to edit the book down so badly. If they made a new version...a looong version, with todays graphics and a japanese director (for real horror) then i think we would have ourselves something amazing.

message 29: by Joan Stanley (new) - added it

Joan Stanley I seriously am praying that the new movie won't follow the book EXACTLY, because if so... it will be pushing an R Rating. Like seriously, this is one of the most disturbing stories I've ever read and that one part in particular when the 11 year olds engage in "romantic endeavors" was sickening.

message 30: by Dean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dean MacAllister Fair call

Meran The movie scared the you know what out of me, even though I knew what SHOULD be coming, and enough did. At least I could put the book down when I was too scared (I was an adult when I read it ;) )

As a young child I never "got" balloons OR clowns. They didn't scare me but something has always been false about them. Balloons say "I care so much about you I bought these cheap ass cheer you up things"; clowns are just drunk older uncles (red nose) who use false humor to feel up kids...

Now, I don't ~really think those things, but you see where I'm coming from ;)

And King put the two together and made them creepy, cuz they really are..

The Cell is in production, btw.

RARARARARAR Stephen king is the horror king... Uh he is dead

message 33: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew Andy wrote: "I don't think they will ever be able to get a scarier pennywise than Tim Curry, for that reason alone a movie remake will be no good."

I'm not feeling ya, Curry was a terrible Pennywise! Pennywise was not a wisecracking jokester like Curry portrayed him. Pennywise was menacing and vicious.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Drew wrote: "Andy wrote: "I don't think they will ever be able to get a scarier pennywise than Tim Curry, for that reason alone a movie remake will be no good."

I'm not feeling ya, Curry was a terrible Pennywi..."

Thank you! I coul not agree more

Jessica Loved the book, didn't care for the movie. If they do a remake, hope that it is better, and not made for 14-18 year old kids, like most movies are these days.

message 36: by Sven (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sven Axelrad The movie was alright for its time, it just aged terribly. The movie-world has changed so much since IT came out, it's time for a modern version. Same goes for all the old movie versions of King's books (Shining, Pet Semetery) I hope the directors get that the books are more than slasher-film scripts, they have heart, and they all float down here...

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually saw the 1990 television film before reading the novel. I've now seen read the mostly-superb novel about four times. Whilst the film has amazing performances by Tim Curry and the child actors, I welcome a more competent remake. There are many ways it could go, but just the outline of the story is terrifically memorable and creepy in places. Roll-on remake. I remember reading that the Sci-Fi channel were going to do an adaption (years ago now) where Bev would be the main character. I hope they include the house on Neibolt street in the new movie.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Loved the book, didn't care for the movie. If they do a remake, hope that it is better, and not made for 14-18 year old kids, like most movies are these days."

I personally think you can only up after making such a wrech of a movie.

Paula If they want to do another mini-series, they could stretch it out over a season on HBO or FX. Stephen King is the master of detail, but HBO is doing a bang up job with Game of Thrones.

I don't even remember watching the tv movie IT. You'd think I would remember John Boy!

message 40: by Glen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glen Shipherd I loved the book, but the movie was awful. As much as I'd like to see the book come alive as a movie I don't think they would do it justice the second time around either. So, I think I'll just stick to the book.

Douglas Castagna My favorite thing about the movie version was the portrayal of Pennywise by Tim Curry.

message 42: by Kara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kara Lovell Yeah... I can't help but laugh now though. I remember when my daughter saw IT for the first time. She's still afraid of clowns and she was 18 when she saw it. LOL I'm excited to see what they do with it.