Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2013! Yay! > Valerie Brown's 2013 challenge

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown I think I can read 50 in a year - but we will see how it fits in with "real" life!

message 2: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1850 comments Mod
Good luck, Valerie! We'll look forward to seeing your updates!

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Doing great so far!

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown I'm still flying along, a little surprisingly considering how busy I am at the moment.... I obviously don't bother with TV!

7. A Fatal Grace (also called "Dead Cold")

8. Red Means Run

9. Crow's Landing

10. Full Dark House

11. Still Life

12. Life of Pi

13. Copycat Killing (a quick read, to "rest" after Life of Pi)!

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown I made a big dent this month!

14. The Big Kitty

15. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

16. The Butterfly's Daughter

17. The Power and the Glory (a classic I should have read years ago, enjoyed it and found it to be a quick read)

18. A Man Lay Dead

19. The Black Tower

20. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (loved this book, very interesting premise - followed up with "lighter" reads in order to digest)

21. The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers

22. Buildings without Architects - A Global Guide to Everyday Architecture John May (read this one a bit at a time, it is structured so this plan works very well)

23. Crime Scene At Cardwell Ranch

24. Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide

25. Elephants Can Remember

26. A Murder Is Announced

message 7: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1850 comments Mod
Valerie wrote: "I made a big dent this month! ..."

Wow, great job Valerie!

message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown The month of April has less entries since I started Anna Karinina after #29!

27. Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited (I only read Christopher Hitchens' intro and BNW)

28. Bird of Life, Bird of Death: A Political Ornithology of Guatemala

29. A Trap for Fools

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown Well, AK took me 4 weeks to read (I finished mid-May) which is pretty much as I expected. That's why I tried to get a good start on the list in the first part of the year!

30. Anna Karenina

31. Cloud Atlas

32. Love Lies Bleeding

33. The Princess and the Peer

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 540 comments awesome!!!

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown Alison wrote: "awesome!!!"

Thanks, I'm much further along and hope to hit 100 by year end! I just haven't had time to enter them!

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Holy Moly you are a fast reader! I think I'm going to struggle to get to 50 books let alone 100.Do you have a favourite for the year?

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown Nicole wrote: "Holy Moly you are a fast reader! I think I'm going to struggle to get to 50 books let alone 100.Do you have a favourite for the year?"

Yes, I am a fast reader. I did get slowed down by Anna Karenina and Wheat Belly though (for different reasons!). That said most of the books are short (I call under 300 pg short).

I'm not sure what my fave book from the year is. I'm really glad I discovered Neil Gaiman - loved Stardust and Neverwhere. Am glad I read "Age of Innocence", if it hadn't been for the classic books group I belong to here would not have read it. Also glad I finally tackled and finished (most importantly!) Anna K. Loved Amsterdam by Ian McEwan. I don't know how I missed his novels, but now have 2 more in the queue!

Now that I look back over the list, I think I liked all of them for different reasons of course. I did have one book that is not on the list, which I read at least 1/2 way through and realized I hated every minute I wasted on it so gave up. That doesn't happen too often, and it was from an author I've enjoyed before.

I still have 9 days left in the year, so will hit 100. My husband is betting I will make 101! We'll see.

message 18: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Good job! I hit 44 but many were long historical Novels.

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown Lucy wrote: "Good job! I hit 44 but many were long historical Novels."

Thanks! It's those long historical novels that slow you down.... ha, ha.... They almost need to count as 2!

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown I wasn't sure if I would make it! But just finished #

101. Travels with Charley: In Search of America