What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Coffee Table Book (artists of the 20th century)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margherita (new)

Margherita | 4 comments Hi. I'm looking for the title of a book that was a coffee-table style book of photographs and essays. The photo subjects were great 20th century writers, painters, and other notable artists/characters. I'll try to post more details that I remember in the near future. Thanks in advance.

Margherita

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Margherita, are you still looking for this book?

Any idea what year it was published, or, what year did you read it? (There have to be hundreds of books that fit this description.)

message 3: by Margherita (new)

Margherita | 4 comments Lobstergirl, thanks for writing. I think the book was published in the late 50's or early 60's. I got it from the library when I worked there around 1980. Of course it's a coffee table format. Do you have any ideas on what it might be?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Jan 05, 2014 07:02PM) (new)

No! Not really.

Do you think the publisher was some kind of mass publishing house, like Time-Life (which always comes to mind when I think of large format books from the 50's-60's, although I don't even know when they started publishing large format books) - or was it something fancier, like a university press/arty press?

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Margherita--if you bump your thread up every month or two or three, you'll have a better chance of getting your book found.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 7: by Kris (last edited Feb 10, 2015 10:02AM) (new)

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
Margherita, if you're still looking...

Are the artists from the U.S. only or around the world?
Are the photographic portraits black-and-white and/or color?
Does the book feature a single photographer - or is the focus on the 20th C. writers/painters/artists with the photos taken by different photographers?
Do you remember anything about the cover image?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking?"

No response from Margherita in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.