UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Interesting articles 2

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21828 comments Yes, interesting article.
I'm not sure this year will see the 'free' kindle, but I can imagine that that is the way we're going. Perhaps you'd buy your kindle on a contract like a phone?

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Baggott (httpswwwgoodreadscomkate_baggott) | 104 comments Jim wrote: "Yes, interesting article.
I'm not sure this year will see the 'free' kindle, but I can imagine that that is the way we're going. Perhaps you'd buy your kindle on a contract like a phone?"

I just use the app on my new Galaxy. I really like it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've been using the app on my galaxy a bit too.

It's not bad when on the go and I have a few minutes to spare but marathon reading sessions, especially in bed, it's my kindle all the way.

Dunno about free kindles. The price has certainly dropped for the basic one though, so maybe it is coming.

message 5: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Maybe it will depend on the market penetration that the Nook and Kobo achieve over christmas?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments They've certainly saturated the tv advertising, haven't they?

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I was in a branch of Waterstones on xmas eve, and no one was interested in the Kindles at all.

So I set all the display models to one of my books, and left....

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Lmao!

Cleva Will!

message 9: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Lol
I used to work in book shop and our deputy manager disapproved of any of the more...adult books, especially ones with pictures in/on. He used to turn them all round and he used to hide the spell books/witch craft/astrology books behind other things. We used to have great fun leaving the photographic karmasutra in the staff room right by his chair and such like. We were going to get him a copy of the "enclyclopedia of unusual sexual practices" as a wedding present but decide we weren't that mean...

I think waterstones is more about tree books than e-books.

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments It's hard for the ebook editions to compete when Waterstones are doing Buy One Get One Half Price on most of their big list titles...

message 11: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments i'd actually pay more for a kindle book than a dtb book.

but anyway. i digresssssss.

i can certainly see the price of a kindle dropping way more but i don't see it going free any time soon.

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I'm way too price conscious to do that - I buy whichever is cheaper - don't have the cash to waste these days!

message 13: by Elle (last edited Dec 28, 2012 07:11AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I can't read DTB's any more.

I always had trouble when I read them before but now that I have the joys of making my Kindle font huge, I pay extra for the privilege of not having a headache.

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments The only DTBs I won't buy are the MMP format ones - the print is too small for my aging eyes!! Fortunately they tend only to be American imports - MMP never really caught on in the UK

message 15: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I struggle with my focus so when I read a DTB book I need to use a piece of paper or something with a flat edge to separate lines.

message 16: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 1158 comments Dead Tree Book. Print, in other words :)

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Dead Tree Book (i.e. paperbacks & hardbacks)

MMP = Mass Market Paperback. The really cheap & nasty small format books you see sometimes, often in airports. They led to the term 'Pulp fiction' since MMPs get the covers ripped off and the book pulped rather than being returned to the publisher when they don't sell.

The bigger, better quality paperbacks are often called Trade Paperbacks.