Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > 2013 Book Resolutions

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Do you have any book resolutions for 2013? Will you increase number of books read? Decrease? Have a re-read you've been meaning to get to? Please share!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I did WoT this year, next year I will do Malazan.

I will read all of Malazan next year.

I hope.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

All of 'em.

message 4: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments That is a serious goal, Ala. Does it include re-reading so you an understand them, the way Traci and Maggie always suggest?

I think I'll up my reading goal slightly but not enough to actually pressure myself. I'd also like to continue to write reviews for all of them.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only ever read the one, but I'll reread that then start in on the rest.

I'll have to bug Mags and Traci to see if there's a specific order to read them all in, though.

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen Mine was 70 and upped it to 80 a month ago. Hoping to move house soon, if I do my 2-bus commute (each way) will total about 20 mins not 45 which will be better but allow less reading. Therefore, I'm sticking with 80.

message 7: by Nyssa, Don't make me get the ruler! (last edited Dec 27, 2012 01:42PM) (new)

Nyssa | 134 comments I am decreasing my goal to 52 books (1 book a week). I've been overly ambitious the last two years. I'd also like to read 15,500 pgs.

Most (if not all) of my selections this year will probably come from the four book clubs (like here :)) of which I'm a member.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I think the only resolution I've made recently is to try and stop letting people talk me into reading books I don't think I'm gonna like...

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I want to stop spending so much money on books that I never get a chance to start reading.

message 10: by Nyssa, Don't make me get the ruler! (new)

Nyssa | 134 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I want to stop spending so much money on books that I never get a chance to start reading."

Thats a good one!

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Nyssa wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "I want to stop spending so much money on books that I never get a chance to start reading."

Thats a good one!"

:-D

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) My goal will be 70 and I also want to finish up some of my series. I can do it!

message 13: by K. (new)

K. (aoutranc3) I beat my goal three times this year, so I think I will shoot higher and go for 200 titles. I'm hoping to read a little more outside my normal genres.

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) My goal is to read books that I own and haven't read. I know I will not be able to totally stop myself from buying books, but I am going to really focus on the unread books.

message 15: by Kevin (last edited Dec 29, 2012 07:26PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I will try to find and read more authors that I have never heard of before in the field of science fiction and fantasy.

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (imhrien) | 433 comments I wanna try and get past book #3 for all the Fantasy series I've started. For some reason, I never seem to get past three, unless it Urban Fantasy.

message 17: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments Mine is to finish the Wheel of Time series. I've read 5 books this past year and needed to take a break. I want to finish it so I can move on to Malazan.

message 18: by L.Y. (new)

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) | 131 comments I don't have a definite goal...although I did get a new kindle, and I'm looking forward to reading tons of stuff. I'll just download a million or so of the free kindle books and leave reviews for all the indie authors. :D

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 1409 comments Anything I read this year is going to be an improvement from my last 3 years.
;)

Ah ...just kidding.

My plan is to discover authors I have not heard of, and get some new favorites.

I've already had a good start.
Now ... the next step ...read some more. No goal for me.
Any book, I haven't read before, will be counted. By the end of the year...I'll see my success.
:D

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments This year I will expand my horizons by reading outside of my comfort zone (and genres). A group of friends and I are doing a "I'll try anything once" challenge. Each book has to be a different genre.

message 21: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments I upped my GR goal a little to reflect reality. I would still like to write a review for everything I read.

message 22: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments Ala wrote: "I've only ever read the one, but I'll reread that then start in on the rest.

I'll have to bug Mags and Traci to see if there's a specific order to read them all in, though."

whoo-hoo Ala!

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen Jenny wrote: "My goal will be 70 and I also want to finish up some of my series. I can do it!"

I'm pinching this goal, I always used to read series back to back, joining groups has led me to bad habits. I must have 6 or 7 on the go.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Maggie wrote: "whoo-hoo Ala! "

So is there an order to read them in? The regular series an ICEs books I mean.

message 25: by jessica (new)

jessica (Yess2cats) | 18 comments I think I'd like to finally get around to reading Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. Also, to be more involved in the monthly reads.

message 26: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Well, I'll look forward to seeing to in monthly reads, jessica!

message 27: by jessica (new)

jessica (Yess2cats) | 18 comments Hey here's a question to all you fantasy/sci fi readers. I'm thinking of getting an e-subscription to a magazine that publishes fantasy/sci fi short stories. There seems to be a lot of them out there. Any recommendations?

message 28: by Maggie (last edited Feb 11, 2013 03:58PM) (new)

Maggie K | 730 comments Ala wrote: "Maggie wrote: "whoo-hoo Ala! "

So is there an order to read them in? The regular series an ICEs books I mean."

Well, I would say like this:

Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Night of Knives
Midnight Tides
The Bonehunters
Return of the Crimson Guard
Reaper's Gale
Toll the Hounds
Dust of Dreams
The Crippled God

Now the last 3 Esslemont are kind of debatable, Stonewielder and Blood and Bone are pretty much simultaneous to the events in the last erikson, so I would do those two next and Orb Sceptre Throne last.

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'm going to slow down on the free books this year. I read so many crappy books in 2012 that I'm burned out (a lot of the free ones tend to be craptastic). I'm going to read mostly books I've gotten from the library or already purchased. Vetted books FTW!

My husband and my budget will thank me. So will my brain.

I gave indie romances a fair shake in 2012...98% are dreck.

I'll move on to a few indie fantasies this year and see what's popping. I'm going to be very choosy about it because I invest more reading fantasy and will be balls to the walls PO'd if it sucks ass.

I'm not going to force myself to read anything this year. I will allow myself to develop other hobbies and interests.

message 30: by Gene (new)

Gene MrsJoseph wrote: "I'm going to slow down on the free books this year. I read so many crappy books in 2012 that I'm burned out (a lot of the free ones tend to be craptastic). I'm going to read mostly books I've got..."

Agree. Most of the free books I read last year and still reading this year are forgettable; not outright bad, but nothing to write home about.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Most of the free books I read last year and still reading this year are forgettable; not outright bad, but nothing to write home about.

message 32: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Evgeny wrote: "Agree. Most of the free books I read last year and still reading this year are forgettable; not outright bad, but nothing to write home about"

*nods*

message 33: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I'm going to read mostly books I've gotten from the library or already purchased. Vetted books FTW!"

And that is the value of GR! I've read some books I wouldn't have normally, but I've found a lot more awesome books than just rummaging through the library or strolling a bookstore.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Carol wrote: "And that is the value of GR! I've read some books I wouldn't have normally, but I've found a lot more awesome books than just rummaging through the library or strolling a bookstore. "

True.

But I think I'm starting to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of books. The sheer number of SPAM. The unending drama and author tantrums/meltdowns.

Just...overwhelmed.

I think that another of my 2013 events will be to start to re-tailor my GR experience. I'm...too "open" to too many people and I know too much of what is happening in the publishing market for someone who doesn't get paid for it.

I need to get back to the reading basics, you know? Or get into publishing (yeah, right. I haven't copy-edited since college!)

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Colleen wrote: "Most of the free books I read last year and still reading this year are forgettable; not outright bad, but nothing to write home about."

lol!

How'd I miss this?

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) MrsJoseph wrote: "lol!

How'd I miss this?"

It was the time warp...

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 258 comments The nice thing about free books is . . . I really feel like I have lost nothing if I really don't like it enough to toss it. If I have actually PAID, I think a little harder. And, due to terribad library, I purchase almost everything. Makes me pickier . . .

But, MY resolution is to write more (informative) reviews to each book I read. Sometimes, I just read through too many books too quickly to do them any justice in a review . . . I have thought about making myself write a review before jumping into the next book, but I typically finish in the wee hours and immediately start another book . . .

message 38: by Jalilah (last edited Mar 30, 2013 03:45AM) (new)

Jalilah Carol wrote: "Do you have any book resolutions for 2013? Will you increase number of books read? Decrease? Have a re-read you've been meaning to get to? Please share!"

It is not really a resolution, but I'd like to read as many books from the Endicott Mythic Fiction list as possible! http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/31...
I have loved almost every book I have read on it. Many were already my all time favourites before I discovered the list.
Oh yes, and I also plan to keep trying the books chosen for the group reads, to read books that I normally would not have picked myslef but may end up liking.

message 39: by Helen (new)

Helen I'm proud to say that I've finished up a few series recently. I will complete them all...

message 40: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 50 comments I'm going to try and read more stuff from independent/self-published authors.

Oh, and some more Shakespeare.

message 41: by S.C. (new)

S.C. Parris (scparris) For 2013, besides writing my own book(s), I've made a resolution to read more for once. I have 15 as my limit as I've school and work and writing to occupy my time, but I hope to surpass that hopefully by the end of this year.
Too many YA novels have been read and too many I've wasted my time on. Focusing solely on books outside of the genre, fantasy, and horror and whatever else catches my fancy.

message 42: by Mina (last edited Mar 29, 2013 09:07PM) (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 141 comments My goal is to read more poetry this year :)...and writing three new stories.

message 43: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 33 comments Chimimg in a bit late here, but my resolution this year, being my first year on Goodreads, is to write a review for every book I read. I joined in early January and had read a book already, but all the books I've read since joining I've written reviews for. So far so good!

I'm also trying to read 30 books this year, 6 more than last year, which is a lot for me.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I have two goals for this year. I've just started re-reading The Wheel of Time series, and I want to take the time to savor it. I don't want to let myself think I have to rush through just so I can get to the new book. I think it deserves that much from me. :)

Secondly, I want to get to all the books that I picked up as recommended reading while I was taking classes. They all sounded so fascinating at the time, and in three years since graduation I haven't done a thing with them. (There really wasn't time to delve in while I was still in school.)

Maybe I should add a third goal to read some of the free books I've snagged and left by the wayside in favor of other books I've picked up. O.o

message 45: by Sissy Lu (new)

Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews} I just joined goodreads this year, so I'm setting my goal relatively low at 40 books this year. I've already done 10 and quickly approaching 11.

Another goal? Bump that tally up higher than 40 by the end of the year, but one thing at a time, yeah?

message 46: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Absolutely, Elissa. Once you reach the number goal, it can be fun to switch it up.

message 47: by Sissy Lu (new)

Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews} Carol wrote: "Absolutely, Elissa. Once you reach the number goal, it can be fun to switch it up."

Thank you! I enjoy reading and I'm enjoying the challenge I've laid out for myself. It's a great way to find new 'favorite' authors, too!