Horror Aficionados discussion

Christmas book haul

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1646 comments So among those of you who celebrate Christmas - as well as those among you who don't - how many of you managed to acquire some new books (either as gifts or as personal purchases made with vouchers, etc.) this festive season?

Thanks to my brother and his wife, I gained four hefty tomes (one horror, one sci-fi, and two fantasy) to add to my library:

The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror Volume 23. by Stephen Jones

The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 25 by Gardner R. Dozois

A Game of Thrones (Song of Ice & Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, # 2) by George R.R. Martin

I especially like the cover of the Dozois volume!

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You certainly scored, Greg. I never get books for Christmas. I guess it's because nobody knows which books I'd like. My family don't read so they're not into the whole books thing.

message 3: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 331 comments Nice Greg! I never get books, either, even though my entire family reads. Usually, I get a book from my parents, but even that didn't happen this year.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam Martinez | 1 comments I have $50 gift card to Barnes and Noble I plan on using on all physical books.

Reading on a backlit kindle fire has been upping my migraine frequently, though that's going to change since my brother is getting me a paperwhite for christmas/birthday present(next week yay)

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) No books for me this Christmas. Which is actually pretty unusual. Normally its one of those things my family always gets because they know I read so much. I think they're trying to come up with more original gift ideas. Like owly things lol.

message 6: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I got The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.....it is that BN collectors edition.

I also bought myself some books at the used bookstore (about 8 books).

message 7: by Bandit (last edited Dec 29, 2012 08:55AM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments The Black Train by Edward Lee Slither by Edward Lee The Golem by Edward Lee The Resurrectionist by Wrath James White Nowhere To Hide by R. Patrick Gates Midnight Rain by James Newman Mutated by Joe McKinney
as well as Midnight Lair by Laymon and James Herbert omnibus all from my awesome SO

Seed by Ania Ahlborn The Monster's Corner Stories Through Inhuman Eyes by Christopher Golden 21st Century Dead A Zombie Anthology by Christopher Golden House of Fear An Anthology of Haunted House Stories by Jonathan Oliver The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma
from a dear friend (the only one who knows and appreciates my reading habits)

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Bandit wrote: "The Black Train by Edward LeeSlither by Edward LeeThe Golem by Edward LeeThe Resurrectionist by Wrath James WhiteNowhere To Hide by R. Patrick Gates[bookcover:Midnight Rain|31675..."

Great haul Bandit :)

message 9: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments thanks, Amanda :)

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian McClellan | 540 comments I keep telling people to stop buying me books or I'm going to start building those book structures you see on Facebook, but I did get The Walking Dead, Compendium 2 and was very grateful for it.

message 11: by Rich (new)

Rich D. (richduncan) | 7 comments I got a lot of Walking Dead stuff because I love the show and wanted to see where it all started. My mom got me both compendiums, my brother got me the novel The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury and I purchased The Walking Dead: The Rise of the Governor.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Nice gifts. I rarely get books from other people either. I did buy myself A LOT of books this Christmas though :)

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Bandit, your SO knows you so well.

message 14: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments Tressa wrote: "Bandit, your SO knows you so well."

yes, but she did have an amazon wishlist to help her along

message 15: by Greg (last edited Dec 29, 2012 04:47PM) (new)

Greg | 1646 comments Tressa wrote: "You certainly scored, Greg. I never get books for Christmas. I guess it's because nobody knows which books I'd like. My family don't read so they're not into the whole books thing."

Teawench wrote: "Nice Greg! I never get books, either, even though my entire family reads. Usually, I get a book from my parents, but even that didn't happen this year."

Good grief! Tell your relatives you want books for Christmas 2013 and keep dropping hints throughout the year so they get it! :P

message 16: by Larry (new)

Larry | 214 comments My mom got me a 25 kindle card i've bought a few books so far with it. I finally picked up the summer I died with the card and she also bought me the star wars year by year book

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Well, I just don't have the room to put all the books my family would be willing to buy me.

Larry, hope you like Summer.

message 18: by Teawench (new)

Teawench | 331 comments Greg wrote: "Tressa wrote: "You certainly scored, Greg. I never get books for Christmas. I guess it's because nobody knows which books I'd like. My family don't read so they're not into the whole books thing."
..."

I've tried that. Doesn't work. :-/

message 19: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1646 comments Bandit wrote: "The Black Train by Edward LeeSlither by Edward LeeThe Golem by Edward LeeThe Resurrectionist by Wrath James WhiteNowhere To Hide by R. Patrick Gates[bookcover:Midnight Rain|31675..."

Nice haul, Bandit! I've added a few of these books to my TBR list! :)

Tressa wrote: "Well, I just don't have the room to put all the books my family would be willing to buy me."

Would it be worth building an extension? :P

Teawench wrote: I've tried that. Doesn't work. :-/ "

Oh well. Maybe one day they might surprise you! :)

message 20: by Larry (new)

Larry | 214 comments Thanks Tressa. Ill let you know what I think of it when im done

message 21: by TJ (new)

TJ (coachtim30) | 41 comments Bandit wrote: "The Black Train by Edward LeeSlither by Edward LeeThe Golem by Edward LeeThe Resurrectionist by Wrath James WhiteNowhere To Hide by R. Patrick Gates[bookcover:Midnight Rain|31675..."

Congrats on the HHHH, Bandit! (Heavy Hardcore Horror Haul)

message 22: by Char (new)

Char  | 13721 comments Mod
Nice haul!

I got gift cards for Christmas so I can pick out my own books. I have a 12 page wish list at Amazon, but for some reason I get all picky/choosy so I've only purchased a couple so far.
The Light is the Darkness
The Underdwelling
The Other (already read this one, it ROCKED!)
Strangewood
Darkness Conjured
From Ashes

message 23: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments TJ wrote: "Bandit wrote: "The Black Train by Edward LeeSlither by Edward LeeThe Golem by Edward LeeThe Resurrectionist by Wrath James WhiteNowhere To Hide by R. Patrick Gates[bookcover:Midn..."

haha, HHHH, I like that :)

message 24: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1646 comments Charlene wrote: "Nice haul!

I got gift cards for Christmas so I can pick out my own books. I have a 12 page wish list at Amazon, but for some reason I get all picky/choosy so I've only purchased a couple so far.
T..."

With a 12-page wish-list, it must've been hard to choose which ones you wanted to read now! SOme nice choices there, Charlene!

message 25: by Carl (new)

Carl Alves (carlalves) | 56 comments I got a couple of Barnes and Noble gift cards. Otherwise I received a Game of Thrones guidebook and Casual Vacancy by JK Rowlings.
Carl

message 26: by Char (new)

Thanks, Greg! I thought so! : )

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I didn't get any books for Christmas this year, either. My boyfriend and I did go in to B&N together to buy a Nook to share. He actually got two book from my family, Building Stories andSorry Please Thank You: Stories.

message 28: by Char (new)

What do you think of the Nook so far?

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I really like it. We bought the bigger Nook HD. It's user friendly and alreadt had short stories to download from Nook 4 PC. It's much more comfortable than reading on my laptop. Although I'll never be exclusively electronic.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Awesome, Rachel....I have the same device and love it, but don't read exclusively onit either....trying to convince Tressa to buy one for her son!

message 31: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
What's an "onit"?

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments My son wants to play games. Can the Nook offer that?

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments you can get game apps for the Nook.