The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Best audiobook to buy on Audible?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy (russellwriting) Hi everyone, I am looking for really great audiobooks to get from Audible. I have just joined (thanks Sword & Laser) and want to use my free credit to get the best possible experience of my first audiobook.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Andy

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
I used mine to get Dune. There are multiple readers for the various parts and a lot of the conversations are more like a dialogue since each part has a different reader.

Oddly enough though some conversations were simply read by the narrator. I never figured out the pattern as to why though.

I hadn't read the book before, and this was a great way to read it I thought.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I just took a look at your GoodReads shelf and I see that you liked Kraken. So, for you, I'd recommend Embassytown. It's a book that is improved by the audio version.

message 4: by R.J.K. (new)

R.J.K. Lee (rjklee) | 2 comments I second Embassytown. And another by Mieville, The City & The City had an excellent narrator.

message 5: by R.J.K. (new)

R.J.K. Lee (rjklee) | 2 comments I'd also recommend 11/22/63, Wolf Gift, Ready Player One, and The Windup Girl. Redshirts was also pretty amusing.

message 6: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Some recent good audio book experiences include Abercrombie's books, The Mistborn Trilogy, ASOIF, and the Dark Tower series. The Harry Potter series was pretty good on audio as well.

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 14 comments One of my favorite audiobooks is Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Great performance and it really gives the book depth. Another great one is Ender's Game which also has different people doing different roles.

message 8: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I highly recommend Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys read by Lenny Henry.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy (russellwriting) Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to go for some Abercrombie as I own most of the others in hardcopy. Thanks again.

Andy

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 683 comments Also, until tomorrow 12/31, check out the Tantor $4.99 audiobook sale (no membership needed) -- I saw Abercrombie on the list

http://www.tantor.com/BookList.asp?Ge...

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Curtis (kingtriton92) | 62 comments The Blade Itself, 11-22-63, 14, Blackhouse and The Name Of The Wind.