paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

House of Blood
This topic is about House of Blood
group reads archive > house of blood spoilers to 100%

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (last edited Dec 27, 2012 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
I will change the spoilers to 25% sunday. Who all is joining us for this one?

message 2: by Cate (new) - added it

Cate | 107 comments I'm in!

Addy | 1944 comments I think im in. Not sure yet.

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments I'll be in, tho sunday i'm going on a trip so i won't be jumping in as quickly as i usually do probably (tho i might because i have a couple longer flights).

Addy | 1944 comments Alright. Im in! Read the sample and got hooked.

Addy | 1944 comments Im at 25% Couldnt put this one down, but now I can work on some other books;)

Ok 25% discussion is open.

message 8: by Cate (new) - added it

Cate | 107 comments I like it so far. Maybe the guy who got out of the car (his name escapes me right now) will be saving them later

Addy | 1944 comments Im really enjoying this book. I like all the characters, yes, including chad even though he was kind of a jerk. I dont really understand whats going on with Eddie yet, but its interesting along with the whole concept of the house. Totally reminds me of this movie I saw, The Devils House or something like that.

message 10: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments good start do far. I liked how he's set it up. the characters are not bad though at the moment I don't have any I'd probably care if they survive in the end yet..

saw one thing that has a similarity to something in one of his later books (Freashow). the dead guy and naked girl in the security type room.

message 11: by Justin (last edited Jan 02, 2013 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

At first this kind of reminded me of brian keene's urban gothic with the guy trying to escape the underground halls beneath the house and I was worried it would just end up being a group of people getting picked off one by one by monsters in the blood house but it dont seem like thats going to happen. I like the characters But like matt, I dont really care about any of them. Its more that I like all the drama between the characters really. So far its shaping up to be a good story.

message 12: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Im at 50%. This book has really surprised me. Not what I expected at all. Im really enjoying this as much as I am with his other book, Kayla.

message 13: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments Finished up to 53% (i always go to the end of a chapter, not gonna stop midchapter and waita week to finish).

So far much of the same old Bryan Smith. I'm pretty sure he has at least one graphic sex scene in every book. I'm starting to enjoy the Chad/Cindy parts of the book the most. Much more going on with them at the moment while the Dream parts kind of drag a little compared to the other two parts.

Much is going on and somehow Eddie, Dream, and Chad are going to play some big roles in the outcome, or at least that's what they are told.

I like the story so far and look forward to reading more next weekend.

I stopped at 49%. It is definitly not what I expected and im not sure what is going on but I am enjoying it. I think my favorite part is with cindy and the guy who got kidnapped by the werewolf I forget his name. All 3 story lines are close though and I have a feeling that the part with dream is going to get a lot better soon.

message 15: by Rochelle (new) - added it

Rochelle Ok I have been on holiday and have just started reading this, so far it has grabbed my attention, aim a little behind so will check in later

message 16: by Cate (new) - added it

Cate | 107 comments This book is not what I expected at all, but I'm still enjoying it. I have a feeling that everyone will be a part of the conspiracy Cindy was talking about at the beginning, and so at this point I'm just waiting for everyone to cross paths.

message 17: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Oops! Didnt realize I was at 80%. Just have to say this book keeps getting better and better!

message 18: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Really hoping the ending doesnt dissappoint, but im stopping for now.

message 19: by Rochelle (new) - added it

Rochelle I am not really getting into it, I will give it a chance tho

message 20: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments Finished up through 77% today at work. I like it. Not much different then a lot of his other novels tho. Lots of sex stuff and a little bit of torture and otherwise not a whole lot happens except for Chad/Cindy.

Now is Lazarus like elvis or something? Cause that's who came to mind when i read this part of the book.

Probably because of the street vender using the name elvis. Of course the street vendor could have been using that name because he knew who Lazarus was and wanted to show respect or something to so it might not be coincidental. I was suprised by dreams suggestion right at the end but I wont mention it since I am also at 77% and im not sure if anyone else will stop right at 75%. I still dont really care about any of the characters but im getting more into the story I would say its about a 3 star at this point.

message 22: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments Yea i don't like stopping mid-chapter so I went to the 77% mark.

Thats what I always do to. If its at 74% at the beginning of a chapter I dont start it but if the chapter ends in the middle and it dont look like a long ways to the next chapter I finish it and take a mental note of where the stop point is so I dont give anything albeyond that away.

message 24: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Synchronicity is used here in this book and alot of others. Must be a common theme for horror.

message 25: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments Good ending, i liked how it all came together like it did. One of Bryan Smith's better novels.

message 26: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments I thought this book was awesome! And thats because I was hesitate to read it. I was sad that Cindy died, though he fit it in quite good because now chad cud b with dream. I thought the ending was perfect. Im glad that good won over evil. It was peculiar that the mute girl and her guy just kind of disappeared and that the guy looked like the master. I wonder what their role will b in the sequel. Very pleasantly surprised by this book. Bryan Smith has quickly become one of my favorites. Good choice Justin and whomever voted for it.

message 27: by Cate (new) - added it

Cate | 107 comments It wasn't what I expected at all, but I kind of like that about the book. It was entertaining, but I really don't have much to say about it. 3/5

I loved the last 25%. Up to that it was alright but nothing special, I was hoping we would find out who the old singer was.

message 29: by Cate (new) - added it

Cate | 107 comments I always pictured him as Jim Morrison for some reason

message 30: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments I still say it was elvis...

Yea i wasn't too surprised Cindy died because i figured he'd have Chad and Dream come together toward the end in some manner, which he did.

I liked that her death had nothing to do with the revolution though. It made it kind of stand out from the people who did die while fighting. I kept picturing the old singer as johnny cash, even though I was hoping to figure out who it was I kind of like that it didnt tell and just left us to our imaginations.

I also really like the descriptions of the real house frozen in time and the whole alternate reality created by a super powerfull alien. I was kind of expecting a house full of monsters killing people with nothing original being added to it and no answers given but underneath all the action going on with the revolution was a great story. I also kept wondering who the queen of blood would be since I knew that was the title of the sequel. it could have been miss wickman, the superpowerful mute lady, or possibly even dream who he talked about being his queen. I kind of figured it would be the mute lady since she was being helped by the gods that he prayed to because they where disapointed with him growing week, it makes sence they would replace him with her.

message 33: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments Yea i liked that with the house stuff too.

I hope he re-releases the sequel Queen of Blood like he did with HOUSE OF BLOOD (both previously from Leisure Books).

message 34: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments Oh well, i found a used copy for $4 on amazon of the old paperback for Queen of Blood so i'll probably read it when i get it.

I have queen of blood now, I bought it first not knowing it was a sequel.

message 36: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments But at the end if the book, I believe it is mrs wickman who turns out to be the queen right?

message 37: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments According to the book description for the sequel Ms. Wickman builds her own house and then seeks revenge for her former Master.

I missed that, I thought it was the mute lady.

message 39: by Matt (last edited Jan 21, 2013 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments Addy wrote: "But at the end if the book, I believe it is mrs wickman who turns out to be the queen right?"

I don't think anyone was the actual Queen. The Master wanted to make Dream his Queen, but didn't get the chance. The Mute girl (Ellie?) and Mrs.Wickman were like apprentices and had abilities through the Master's manipulations.

message 40: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 1944 comments Yeah I know. I meant the queen of blood. I was referring to the sequel, but it came out wrong. Im hoping in the sequel we will find out what the mute girls purpose is.

message 41: by Matt (last edited Jan 21, 2013 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (nemesis0) | 404 comments Ah ok, yea. There was a lack of an epiloque for the mute girl in House of Blood.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Queen of Blood (other topics)