Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Flight of the Earls (Heirs of Ireland #1)
This topic is about Flight of the Earls
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Abbi and Megan❀ Flight of the Earls: An Heirs of Ireland novel by Michael K. Reynolds

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6294 comments Mod
❀Abbi and Megan❀ Flight of the Earls: An Heirs of Ireland novel by Michael K. Reynolds

Abbi I finished the first half so I'm ready when you are to discuss!

message 3: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished!

The story was a little slow in the beginning, but it seems to be getting better.

It was horrible when she had to shave her head! I know it's just hair and that it will grow back, but that is traumatic for a woman. I don't know if I could have done it! The good thing is how quickly her hair is growing back, though it seems almost too fast to me.

I don't know why, but I don't think that Margaret is really dead. The story Tomas/Patrick told Clare seemed too...I don't know...fake? I have a bad feeling that she is in a bad lifestyle - whether by choice or not I'm not sure.

I also have a bad feeling that Tomas/Patrick is prepping Clare for something bad. I know I'm supposed to think he's so great because he's taking care of Clare, Seamus and Pierce but I don't trust him.

Abbi Yeah it did seem rather slow to start off but agree that it's getting better!

I couldn't believe that she had to shave her head! How awful! I loved how Seamus gave her his hat though. And from what I read it doesn't seem like her hair is that long since she says it still looks like a boy's and it has been about 3-4 months since it was cut so it's bound to be a few inches.

I guessed from the start that one or both of them wouldn't be dead and once they found Tomas/Patrick I guessed that she was in a bad lifestyle. I don't know whether or not I believe his story about her death. In that time people died like that all the time so it's not too far-fetched of a story but I also wouldn't put it past Tomas/Patrick to lie. I agree that I don't trust him and it seems like he has something up his sleeve for Clare!

I could not believe how horrible their father was! All the things he says and does to them are so cruel. I feel so bad for the kids that are left at home though he did tend to do the worst to Clare and Seamus.

I'm curious as to who exactly Rose (the keener) is. Since she is obviously not Tomas/Patrick's sister.

I also wonder why Clare's Aunt never told anyone that they were alive and that their ship did not sink. It seems cruel to leave everyone mourning like that!

message 5: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I feel really bad for those kids too. Liam seems to be messed up, every thing has to be about him. His brother was always the center of attention, and he hates how even know people still mention him.

I'm curious about that too! This is going to sound weird but I wonder if she has a closer connection to Clare than she knows.

I'm not sure I believe that she knows, but if shes does maybe her reasons are different than what Tomas/Patrick told Clare. Maybe he isn't as easy going with his wife and she fears him - this seems highly likely considering the way Tressa behaves around him. I also think that Liam knows his brother is alive and what his true purpose is,

The captain of the ship sounded really loony. Going about naked in the middle of the night. Making someone walk the plank with their hands bound behind their back and them thrusting a sword a him, when he just wanted to scare him, seemed crazy!

Pence was a cute character! I felt bad that Seamus and Pierce stiffed him on the pay she promised him, but the way he handled it was sweet - he didn't seem to let it bother him too much and he still help her out. So I think he seemed like a sweet kid.

Abbi I wondered about that too but at the same time since Rose was pretty well known in their area you'd think someone would make the connection if there was one.

Hmm I didn't think through the fact that T/P could have lied about that, or the possibility of him treating his wife bad! I don't know if I think Liam knows or not.

The captain did seem like a loon!

Pence was pretty cute! I loved how he referred to himself in the third person!

I'm curious as to whether there will be a relationship between Clare and Pierce. There seems to be some hints in that direction but at the same time you'd think more would be said before the first half of the book was over!

message 7: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

The book does seem to be leaving hints about there being a future relationship between those two, but I agree, you'd think it would be more definite by this point. Maybe we won't find out until the next book in the series? Though I hope not!

It was really nice of Mack to offer to have them stay at his cousins place, though what horrible living conditions! It amazing that people were allowed to rent places like that. I am currently reading another book that had a couple scenes in Five Points and it said that you wouldn't want to rent a basement cause it was horrible, but it didn't describe it in detail like this book. Now I really understand why you wouldn't want to live there!

Abbi I hope we don't have to wait either! Though since the next book is about Seamus and it seems like he travels I doubt we'll have to and it wouldn't be that long since the next book releases in July.

That was nice but it was definitely a horrible place! I read another book-Wedded to War-that mentioned Five Points and yeah it sounded awful!

I felt really bad for poor Finn! He seemed so nice! I was glad that they managed to get his pigs back and it was amusing to think of that guy waiting for "his bride"!

message 9: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I didn't know it was going to be released so soon. I am really glad to hear that!

Wedded to War is the book I'm reading! I almost halfway and am enjoying it.

Me too! He did seem very nice and I was glad that the guys helped him get his pigs back. I agree, it was very amusing picturing Orin waiting for Clare to come be his bride!

This is terrible, but I can't think of anything else to discuss. Do you have anything else?

message 10: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi The description and all that for the second book is at the back of this one!

It is a pretty good read isn't it? I'm looking forward to the second one in that series!

I can't think of anything else either!

message 11: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay, so when do you want to discuss the other half?

message 12: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi Well I'm going to do my best to finish it before the new year so I'm good with whenever you're ready!

message 13: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I will try to finish it by tomorrow so we can discuss it either Monday night or Tuesday.

message 14: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi ok sounds good!

message 15: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi Well it took me longer than I thought to find the time to read this but I'm done now so I'm ready to discuss when you are!

message 16: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished this afternoon, sorry for the delay in responding!

Well, Pierce was a complete disappointment! Almost as soon as I started reading the second half my opinion of him changed - I'm really glad Clare didn't end up with him!

I love Andrew! However, I had a long moment when I was so mad at him! When he makes plans to travel with Clare to Ireland and then gives her the money, I had a sinking feeling he was really planing on not coming. When he didn't board the ship I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but then Clare spots him by a tree watching the ship leave and I was SO disappointed and angry with him! Yes, I know he has a crippling fear of water, but he knew that too. So why did he insist on going separately? Clare could have helped him board and then she wouldn't have had to deal with everything herself. Though it did make it all the more exciting when he showed up at her home, when he overcame his fear and caught the very next ship.

I was a kind of disappointed in Clare's attitude with her uncle, her lack of caring that he would probably be killed was shocking. There's no denying that he deserved to be punished, but I think it should have been done lawfully. It just seemed like she was stooping to his level.

message 17: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi No worries!

Yeah Pierce was a bit of a letdown! He had hints of not being that awesome in the first half but yeah once the second half got going I completely swapped my opinion!

I like Andrew too! I agree that I was a disappointed when he didn't go with her. But at the same time I can kinda see his point of view, I mean he did come to the dock (which in and of itself used to terrify him) and in a situation like that the fear could have overwhelmed him and kept him from getting on board. And then the full realization of being without Clare could have hit him and given him the courage to get on the next boat he could find! And they actually probably wouldn't have been together on the boat anyway since they weren't married.

I didn't fully think through the fact that he would probably be killed by the crowds, but I agree that her callousness was shocking. Though considering that because of him 4 of her family members are dead (and for all she knows Seamus is too) you can understand her anger.

I could not believe what happened to Margaret! That Patrick would force her to marry that horrible man and then have her locked up is awful! I totally did not see that coming! And the fact that he was doing the same to Clare-argh I dislike that man!

I was confused as to why Clare never corrected Andrew's mother about the fact that she thought she was a prostitute-you'd think that'd be something you'd want to get cleared up ASAP!

Was it just me or did the end seemed rushed? I mean in one chapter they've barely met and the next time it goes to them he's "declared his intentions"! And once she got to Ireland it was all choppy scenes with time in between.

message 18: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh, I understood it, but it was so out of character for her that it was shocking. I would have been very angry with him too, but I don't think I could have done that.

I was so hoping for Clare's sake that Margaret was going to be alive. I think it made it all the more painful for her to get her hopes up and then they are dashed. With how quickly she died, I wonder if Greta knew she was dead, but was too afraid to tell them.

That part was confusing. I agree, that is something I would correct immediately. Maybe she just figured that it would matter to her, that she was going to think poorly of her regardless because she came from a lower class than her son.

Almost the whole second half seemed rushed and jumbled, which was strange because the first half seemed to be so slow. I agree it did feel rather rushed with their romance, but from when they met until she leaves on the ship was a few months...I think. During that time he had that house renovated, so I pretty sure it was a while that they know each other. But, for us it seemed way too sudden! It would have been better (at least to me) if there would have been more scenes with them together or at the very least more discussion of it. And their wedding, while sweet, was just so sudden that I didn't really care all that much - there was no "ahh" moment for me. I didn't have some huge connection to their romance, like I usually do.

I thought the parts with Seamus during the war were out of place, I think it would have been better if we had to wait until his book comes out to learn what happened to him. I know it trying to build up suspense for the next book, but I really don't have much of an interest in reading that one now.

The scene when Clare arrived to her old home and saw her to siblings clinging to one another was so sad - I certainly was relieved when she saw that they were alive! When it's learned that her father spent most of the money that Seamus sent him not on food for his family, but on tuber roots I was so disappointed in him. And on top of that his refusal to send his family to somewhere else where they could be feed and perhaps survive is surprising. I mean, I could see if he wanted to stay by himself and work his farm, but why did he feel the need to let his family starve?

message 19: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi I didn't connect to their romance at all either! It seems that male authors are more apt to skip that part! They really did need more scenes together! I didn't think about it but yeah it was weird that the beginning was so slow and the end was so rushed!

I actually didn't have much of a problem with the Seamus scenes. I think it would have been weird to have them just exit the story until the next book especially with the timeline of the stories. Since they are a series it would be kinda weird for the second book to start at the time of the middle of the first one!

That was a sad scene and I too was relieved when she realized they were alive. Though-again with the rushed thing-it seemed like one minute they were practically dead and the next they were healthy! I was glad that the man who drove her took the time to help a bit instead of just rushing off and that he gave her the advice about feeding them.

I couldn't believe that Liam didn't spend the money on food! That he could look at his dying family and choose plants over them astounds me! And I too was confused by why he didn't send them away-unless there was nowhere to send them.

I kinda wonder what became of Clare's aunt. If she didn't die in the famine, did Clare tell her about Tomas/Patrick? Or did she just leave it as it was?

The girls at the factory where Clare worked were kinda fun, especially the way they teased Clare!

message 20: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maybe that was the aunt the priest was referring to when he said that Liam promised to send the children to their aunt. So maybe she went to one of the workhouses? I agree it weird that nothing more is said about her, especially after Clare knows that Tomas/Patrick was still alive and he claimed she knew. You'd think she'd want to see whether that was a lie or not...if she didn't die in the famine. I think it was very vague on who died, I would have like a list. All these people were mentioned at her going away party, but nothing is said about whether the survived or not.

I loved them...especially Magdalene.

I thought it was sweet that Clare still remembered Pence and wanted to give him the money she promised. Too bad she couldn't find him, I wonder where he went? He was one of my favorite characters in this book.

message 21: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi I didn't really catch the line about sending them to the aunt but that could have been her. I would have liked to know who died and who didn't as well!

I liked the fact that she remembered Pence too and I really wish she would have found him-yet another unexplained thing. He was one of my favs too!

I thought the fact that Patrick used a tomb as his secret office was kinda weird especially the fact that it was technically his tomb-that would have bothered me!

message 22: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

That was creepy! And you wouldn't think it would be all that great of an office, since if you went there a lot people may start to notice and wonder why you go there so much.

I know it would have been his word against the army, but Seamus should have told them that he didn't desert but got lost. Maybe being a man that would have been embarrassing and anyway it probably wouldn't have mattered since he decided to fight for the Mexicans. And that priest/minister was strange, very hard-hearted and cold.

John at first seemed really nice, but his anger and terrible attitude completely changed my opinion of him. I thought it was weird that he brought Clare to see his daughter, as it sounded like the woman there was her mother - tough it wasn't very clear to me what their relationship was.

message 23: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi Yeah!

I had the same thought! I would have tried to explain myself and sense the leaders thought so much of him he might of had a chance of convincing them! But I agree that after he decided to fight for the Mexicans it was kinda pointless

Yeah John did seem nice to start but my opinion did a 180! I thought that was weird too! And yeah it was really hard to figure out who exactly that woman was!

I thought the part where Andrew accidentally tore up the field they had just planted was rather amusing but it seems slightly illogical that he wouldn't have noticed the bulbs.

I loved the part when the staff at the opening party were trying to keep the people off the streets out of the house and Andrew came out and said that the night was for them and invited them to come in and eat!

message 24: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

That was SO funny! Yeah, it was illogical, but I guess that just shows how people from the city back then couldn't tell weeds from plants.

I loved that too and I think that was the moment when I knew I really liked him.

I can't believe how atrocious the living conditions were at the asylum! I was checking to see if this was a real place (which according to Wikipedia it was) and how true this depiction was and it sounds like it was very accurate - which is horrible!

I was surprised by how close the island was to the mainland too. It makes his fear of travelling across the ocean much more understandable, I mean if he became that terrorized by that short trip I can't even imagine how it must have been for him to consider a month long trip!

message 25: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi Wow! That's cool that you researched it! It's horrible that people were actually treated that horribly!

Yeah that island is very close! And it definitely makes more sense as to why a month long voyage would terrify him!

Well I can't come up with anything else-you?

message 26: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

Me either. So, how do you want to split up The Tutor's Daughter?

message 27: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi It looks like it will be easier to split in halves which would be reading up to chapter 14 (page 206) does that sound good to you? Or would you rather try to do thirds?

message 28: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 3 stars

That sounds perfect! We would you like to discuss it? I might be able to get the first half done by Saturday, so if you'd like to try for then let me know.

message 29: by Abbi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abbi That sounds good!