Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Group Challenges and Buddy Reads > Fairy Tale Retelling 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 192 (192 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by 1001 Romances!, Really Pamela, Dhes, & Lisa Kay! (last edited Dec 26, 2012 08:25PM) (new)

1001 Romances! | 178 comments [image error][image error][image error][image error]

~Fairy Tale Retelling~

From mermaids to beauties with beasts, there are tons or novels in every genre that are actually fairy tales retold. For this group challenge, read books that is a retelling of a fairy tale. It can be a historical, or a modern day setting.
LEVELS
Troll 03
Ogre 04-06
Eye of Newt 08-10
Lady in Waiting 11-13
Damsel in Distress 14-16
Evil Enchantress 17-19
Great & Terrible Beast: 20+ books

*Level names inspired by Debz Bookshelf.com
Goal? You set the level.

When? Start Date: 00:01 on January 1, 2013 until December 31, 2013.

Where? Join the Challenge that appears on our Home Page, or it can be found at this link .

How? For additional help in understanding how to join, check out instructions under “GoodReads How To...” “Join a Featured Group Challenge.” This requires adding a specific bookshelf to your bookshelves. Remember, if your bookshelf has more than one word, you must add a HYPHEN in between.

Special Note: You won't be able to set your goals on our Home Page until January 1st!

[image error][image error][image error][image error]

message 2: by 1001 Romances!, Really Pamela, Dhes, & Lisa Kay! (last edited Dec 26, 2012 08:26PM) (new)

1001 Romances! | 178 comments Reserved.

message 3: by Susan (susayq ~) (last edited Mar 30, 2013 03:42PM) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 257 comments I am so in! I love this! I'll say I'll go for Lady in Waiting level, but I may read more :)

4/12

1. The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James 1/21, retelling of The Ugly Duckling
2. The Charm School by Susan Wiggs 2/7, retelling of The Ugly Duckling
3. An Offer from a gentleman by Julia Quinn a Cinderella retelling
4. The Duke is Mine by Eloisa James retelling of the Princess and the Pea, 3/28

READ:
The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) by Eloisa James The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1) by Susan Wiggs An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3) by Julia Quinn The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3) by Eloisa James

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I'm in! Would love to do Evil Enchantress but I think I'll go with Lady in Waiting for now.

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Lovely, Susan & Pamela! Welcome to the challenge.

Lady in Waiting
[image error]

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments What beautiful pictures! I'm in, but not yet sure of a level.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Fabulous, Abigail! Welcome to the challenge.

You'll have to thank Pamela; she posted it on our Ladies & Damsels Ladies & Damsels board she started. ☺

Here's another:

[image error]

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) I'm in for Evil Enchantress. Will post list soon.

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Delightful, Sarah! Such fun! Welcome to the challenge.

Evil Enchantress
[image error]

message 10: by Valarie (new)

Valarie | 28 comments I'm in! I'll start with Lady in Waiting.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Great, Valarie! Welcome to the challenge.

Lady in Waiting
[image error]

message 12: by Deb (new)

Deb Count me in! I could never resist a good fairytale. Since Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite growing up I'll go for Great and Terrible Beast.

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Neat, Deb! Welcome to the challenge.

Actor Jeff Bridges as the Beast transformed into Prince Adam, and actress Penelope Cruz as Belle. Where a moment of beauty lasts forever.
[image error]

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments LK, switch mine to Damsel in Distress but I ain't no damsel in distress ☺

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Dec 28, 2012 06:24AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments **hee hee** True! Plus, even if you were, I'd have every faith you'd get yourself out of it. ☺

[image error]

message 16: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I was feeling a little distress the other day when I walked in the deep snow to my neighbors house to feed her cats. I don't have snow boots so snow got in my shoes and I had some problems breathing in the cold air. But no one saved me. I got home by myself.

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Neat, Pamela. I hope you didn't have any ill effects.

[image error]

message 18: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I was coughing for a while but I was doing that anyway because of that bug I got a few weeks back. I'm fine, though.

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Well, that's good!

message 20: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Yes, and I have to go over there again this morning and its raining. Hopefully, the rain will melt the snow and I can drive over ☺ But I'm waiting to see if it will stop raining soon.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa With this challenge, is it that you read fairytales (just updated or newly released) or read books that are like a fairytale (like a girl with a stepmom that treats her bad but finds her prince?)?

message 22: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Books that have the fairy tale theme. Like Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, etc... There are a lot of fairy tale retellings out there that come qualify. I think I remember seeing listopias listing a bunch of them.

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Melissa wrote: "...like a girl with a stepmom that treats her bad but finds her prince?)?"

That would count, Melissa.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ok, I'm going to give it a whirl. Since I have all year, I'm going to try for Evil Enchantress. (some people say I've already made it to that level, lol)

Do I add the bookshelf to my home page before joining the challenge on the group homepage?

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 464 comments I'm going to give it a try. ^^

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Great, Melissa & Melissa!! Welcome to the challenge.

Yes, Melissa, you can add a bookshelf to your bookshelves. Then every book you tag with that bookshelf name will count toward this challenge, if you have them marked as read between Jan. 1 - Dec. 31, 2013.

[image error]

message 27: by Connie (new)

Connie (constantjoy) Hello, I want to do it, I've signed up for 20. This is the first time I think I've ever actually want to be thought of as a great and terrible beast.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Super, Constance! Welcome to the challenge.

[image error]

message 29: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ | 2103 comments I'm in for Lady in Waiting.

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Wonderful, Nikki! Welcome to the challenge.

If you like this picture...
Pamela pinned it on our Ladies and Damsels Follow us on Pinterest board.
[image error]

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I just finished my first book for this Her Mad Hatter (Kingdom, #1) by Marie Hall which was great!

I can't seem to get the book tracking to work though so I'll have to manually track them I guess.

message 32: by Deb (new)

Deb Way to go Melissa, did you enjoy Her Mad Hatter. I just finished Cinder. I really enjoyed it. When I read the inside cover I didn't think I would. In fact if it wasn't for this challenge I probable would not have read it.

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Deb-I did enjoy it, it was a fun zany kind of read! there are 4 more books by the author of Mad Hatter that run along the same theme (the big bad wolf, the genie, and Gaston from Beauty/Beast all find love) that I've added to my to read list.

I've read Cinder because my favorite librarian recommended it or I probably wouldn't have, I was suprised that I did like it as much as I did. I have it on my list to find the next book she wrote and give it a try.

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Melissa wrote: "I can't seem to get the book tracking to work though so I'll have to manually track them I guess."

I can see your book, Melissa. Sometimes there is a slight delay. If you want to see it sooner, just click on your percent link.

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lisa Kay wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I can't seem to get the book tracking to work though so I'll have to manually track them I guess."

I can see your book, Melissa. Sometimes there is a slight delay. If you want to..."

I finally got it to work, I think I had set it for my 2013 book challenge bookshelf instead of the 2013 HEA fairytale bookshelf!

but thank you!

message 36: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Glad you figured it out, Melissa!

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments

message 38: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 257 comments Finally logged my first one for this, The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) by Eloisa James

message 39: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I got a couple of Linda Jones' books coming for this challenge.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to do this but really do not want to be in for "troll " or "ogre", so skipping this one.:(

message 41: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments ok, but they are really cute trolls and ogres.

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jan 26, 2013 11:53AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments LOL! I didn't think of that, Karen. Sorry.

Here:

troll doll
[image error]

message 43: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments See, isn't he adorable? lol

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Let a day or two pass . Maybe I shall think of it , I just saw trolls in the hobbit when I saw this challenge lol!

message 45: by Ezrah (new)

Ezrah (I Heart Romance) (mynameisezrah) will join this challenge! :)

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Neat, Karen!

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Super, Zeee! Welcome to the challenge.

Another famous, lovable ogar!
[image error]

message 48: by Ezrah (new)

Ezrah (I Heart Romance) (mynameisezrah) finished reading and reviewing my first book for this challenge... a sequel (sort of) of The Little Mermaid

A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1) by Joey W. Hill

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Neat, Zeee...I read that one, too.

[image error]

message 50: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Just started my first book for this challenge. Awakened by a Kiss (Fiery Tales, #1) by Lila DiPasqua

« previous 1 3 4