Who's Your Author? discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
Archives 2013 > City of Bones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments Nairabell and I are going to do a buddy read of this one for anyone else who'd like to join. We're still trying to work out a date.

Nairabell | 87 comments I can start whenever is good for you. I just need to track down my copy which is tricky at the mo as my nephew has decided to nap on me. He's almost a month old so he's too cute to move lol :)

message 3: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I an also. Do you want to start today or tomorrow, or do you need a little more time?

message 4: by Nairabell (last edited Dec 27, 2012 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nairabell | 87 comments How about tomorrow? It's 20:45 here and after a long day playing with a baby and a 2 year old I'm totally wiped.

Where abouts are you based? I'm in London, England (for time related things).

And how do you want to do the buddy read? Read straight through at whatever speed and add comments as we think of them, or say a set amount each day?

message 5: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments Tomorrow sounds great. I'm in the USA, in the state of North Carolina. It's about 5pm for me right now.

As for reading schedule, I like both ways. Do you have a preference?

Nairabell | 87 comments I'm not fussed. I've read it before so spoilers aren't a worry for me, but I don't want to spoil things for you. Generally speaking it'd probably take me a day or two to read the whole thing.

What do you think would work best?

message 7: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments Sounds like we should just read at our pace and discuss then

Nairabell | 87 comments How are you getting on? I've just read the first four chapters and I forgot how much I liked the start. It pretty much drops you straight into the world of Shadowhunters.

message 9: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I'm at about chapter 8 and enjoying it. You're right, it droops you right in the middle. It's sort of hard to put down. I'm right where (view spoiler)

Nairabell | 87 comments I can't wait to see how she comes across in the film. I've read more too and I'm up to pretty much the same place as you.

message 11: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments When is the movie coming out anyway?

Nairabell | 87 comments August 23 in the UK. For some reason I thought it was sooner.

message 13: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments So I've only really just started back up again. I am enjoying it, but I've also noticed there are a lot of things that aren't said between the characters that I think ordinarily would have been said. This obviously helps add suspense by leaving them in the dark about certain things, but makes it feel a little unrealistic to me.

message 14: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments Oh and i thought it was sooner too. I guess maybe because everyone is talking about it.

Nairabell | 87 comments That and the fact that the trailer came out around the same time as the trailers for Beautiful Creatures and The Host which are out Feb/Mar.

Nairabell | 87 comments I've just finished chapter 11 and I can't believe I forgot how creepy the Silent Brothers are. They kind of remind me of the bringers on Buffy, just good rather than bad.

Also almost to Magnus Bane :)

How are you getting on?

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Did either of you read the The Infernal Devices series?

Nairabell | 87 comments Not yet. I've got the first two on my TBR

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Magnus and the cat I believe are in both series. At least I think it's the same cat. When I first read The City of Bones the series was going to end after 3 books. If I'd known it would be continuing and having a prequel I would have kept better track of all the characters.

Nairabell | 87 comments I'd heard Magnus was about in some of the others. He's one of my fave characters :)

Nairabell | 87 comments Argh phone app! I was going to add if its the same cat it would explain why Magnus throws him a birthday party

message 22: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 29, 2012 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Nairabell wrote: "I'd heard Magnus was about in some of the others. He's one of my fave characters :)"

Mine too. I was glad to see a familiar character in both and it's fun to see how things were years before. When I first heard a prequel was coming I wasn't sure how it would come off, but I like the Gothic feel to it. I think I still love The Mortal Instruments best, but Infernal Devices is right up there with this one.

message 23: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I'm still at ch 14. I didn't get any reading done yesterday. You are right about the silent brothers, although I kind of liked them for some reason. I read the first book of the infernal devices a while back. I don't remember any of the characters, but I kept wondering how many of them I would have recognized if I had read this first.

Nairabell | 87 comments I managed to finish this last night (I always try to finish up whatever I'm reading so I can start the new year fresh). How are you getting on Gin?

message 25: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I'm getting there. I'm a little over halfway. I was sick and I think I slept like 17 hours straight. I am enjoying it so far though.

message 26: by Gin (last edited Jan 02, 2013 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments So I'm right at the part where *big spoiler *(view spoiler)

Nairabell | 87 comments Sorry you've been sick but yay! Can't wait to talk spoilers with you very soon :)

message 28: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I've finished, but I still agree with my previous statement. Except, I think (view spoiler)

Nairabell | 87 comments Lol! So you definitely think (view spoiler)?

Lisarenee | 2046 comments That was one of the big things about this series at the beginning are they or aren't they. Did you guys know Cassandra Clare did a Q&A group a few years back? I don't recommend you read it (lots of spoilers) until you read the first three of the TMI series and the first of the ID.

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Just searched for it and here's the link: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

Nairabell | 87 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Just searched for it and here's the link: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3..."

Thanks Lisarenee! I'll definitely check that out when I finally get round to reading the first ID. I'm so behind with CC. I read the first three MI and then got caught up with other series.

message 33: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments Nairabell wrote: "Lol! So you definitely think [spoilers removed]?"

(view spoiler)

Nairabell | 87 comments I've read the first three (basically the original trilogy) and at the end of the first (view spoiler)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I thought Ms. Clare did a good job of stirring your emotions to sympathize with Clary's and Jace's predicament. There have been real life cases where a brother and sister have fallen in love only to find they were siblings when the birth records were revealed when they went to marry. I can't even imagine.

Nairabell | 87 comments Definitely! Clary and Jace's horror was so well written. It's one of the reasons I gave it 5 stars. I didn't expect to like it after reading the first one but the whole storyline was incredibly well written.

message 37: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I think you are right with the bike ride Nairabell. That sort of indicated to me that something will correct itself (view spoiler)

And Lisarenee I couldn't imagine that happening in real like. How horrible!!

Nairabell | 87 comments Are you going to continue on with the series Gin?

message 39: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments Absolutely! I only didn't read the next one directly after because I had previously committed to another buddy read.

Nairabell | 87 comments I hope you really enjoy it! I'd be happy to buddy read with you again if you'd like :)

message 41: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I'll let you know when I'm going to start. I'll either continue next week or wait until next month.

Nairabell | 87 comments Give me a shout whenever is good for :)

message 43: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I think I'll wait until Feb, I've been trying to read sequels to series on a monthly basis, so that I can get through some of them.

Nairabell | 87 comments No worries! My booklist for January is so long Feb would work better for me too.

message 45: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments There are some others in another group who want to read this on Feb 11. Would that be an OK date for you? I'd be happy to chat about it all over the place.

Nairabell | 87 comments That'd work for me :)

message 47: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments Perfect!

message 48: by Gin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gin | 338 comments I'm starting City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare now

Nairabell | 87 comments I'll be starting soon - I'm just reading The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3) by Richelle Mead

Nairabell | 87 comments How'd you get on with City of Ashes Gin? I couldn't get into it this time at all. It's just to angsty for me at the moment :(

« previous 1